Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013, 19:25   #4261
Senior Member+

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Here you are Dave, you said "more please" so I am happy to oblige and show you things I am interested in.

The interior picture is of a old Leyland single decker, it is the same type used in the film "Whistle down the wind".
The bus was based at Burnley and took children to school at Clitheroe, picking up all the way from Blacko to Downham. During the day it was left at Clitheroe and the crew came back to Burnley passenger, the afternoon shift would do the reverse journey.
It was while it was left at Clitheroe that they used it in the making of the film.
I drove it once or twice but it was after the film was made so I never got chance to be a star.
Very interesting pictures, what type of wagon is that in picture 6, it looks a bit Army, but the wood sides are a bit curious ?
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2013, 19:47   #4262
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, pootling around Pendle.

1. Start point, well after climbing a couple of styles.
2. Cotton Grass is in large carpets around here.
3. The third lump along from the left is Longridge Fell.
4. Middle left in the picture is Gt Harwood, the mast is on Pendleton Moor, and the wet bits to the left of the mast are Dean Clough Reservoirs.
5. The town in the distance is Clitheroe.
6. These are the largest Cotton Grass seed heads I have seen.
7. Looking back to the start point.
8. Approaching the trig point, Dean Clough is still visible.
9. Ive just climbed over that.
10. Right, time to head back, and over that ladder again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1160695.JPG (452.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1160700.JPG (422.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1160707.JPG (476.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1160723.JPG (466.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1160727.JPG (418.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1160750.JPG (454.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1160762.JPG (450.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1160771.JPG (490.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1160786.JPG (474.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1160797.JPG (390.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-07-2013, 20:00   #4263
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Very interesting pictures, what type of wagon is that in picture 6, it looks a bit Army, but the wood sides are a bit curious ?

It does look a bit "Army" Dave but I don't know much about it. looking at the number plate I doubt if it ever was Military, the number is pre war.
The two chaps who own it are from Guildford and brought it up on a low loader.
It is a runner though.
I was talking to the men in the canteen and they were amazed at house prices up north, they told me that even a half decent house down Guildford would cost twice as much as really good detached house in a good area up here.
Leave em to it say.
Old 08-07-2013, 20:16   #4264
Senior Member+

Quote:
It does look a bit "Army" Dave but I don't know much about it. looking at the number plate I doubt if it ever was Military, the number is pre war.
It is a runner though.
I was talking to the men in the canteen and they were amazed at house prices up north, they told me that even a half decent house down Guildford would cost twice as much as really good detached house in a good area up here.
Leave em to it say.
It does look a strange beast, it looks like the side comes down for loading as there are legs attached and hinges, I will bow to your knowledge on the subject about it not being connected to the war. Don't tell everyone about the house prices, they will all be moving up here.
Old 09-07-2013, 14:37   #4265
God Member

Quote:
It would, I have seen it many times but only took the photo yesterday.
Leyland motors used the clocks as advertising. They had them situated on all the major trunk roads.
There was one on the road up to Shap which is now in the Brewery museum at Kendal.
There's a great chippy at Shap -we sometimes stop on our way up to stay with my friends on Ullswater! Don't remember a clock like that though...must have gone a while ago I imagine.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 15:24   #4266
Senior Member+

The clock was removed soon after the M6 opened over Shap and not many people used the old A6 anymore.
The famous Jungle cafe near the clock closed the day the motorway opened.
The Jungle was a good transport cafe where drivers could let the engines cool before the long slog over the hill.
It was also a good place where drivers would do a bit of bartering with other drivers, buying a bit of whatever they had on board.
It was no good me trying to sell anything, caustic soda or sulphuric acid had no bartering power compared to a few bottles of Scotch.
Happy days.
mobertol likes this.
Old 09-07-2013, 15:52   #4267
Senior Member+

The road into Shap village.
The memorial stone on the top of Shap was officially opened by the lady who used to have the job of winding the clock, she lived in a cottage lower down.
I suppose I am one of the drivers that the stone pays tribute to.

Has anybody seen this little monument, it is situated about a mile north of Broughton traffic lights on the A6, it is on the right hand side just before the first house at the top of the small rise in the road.
I remember slowing down to take the picture and show my wife the stone, other drivers had no patience and blew their horns.

The last photo is the first tanker I drove over Shap on my way to Dounreay (near John O' Groats for those who don't know) power station. A weeks work there and back.

Am I boring you again with lorry photos, I have another 2342 to go yet, don't temp me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00071.jpg (188.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00084.jpg (119.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00538.jpg (189.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Gil1 (54).jpg (78.4 KB, 13 views)
shillelagh, mobertol and hassy rvr like this.
Old 09-07-2013, 17:00   #4268
Senior Member+

Quote:
It is a runner though.
Leave em to it say.
After a bit of research I came up with the following, just for you Dave.

"Having read in various threads of the re-emergence of vehicles released from Ireland in the early 1960s ( Lancia and Rolls-Royce) another has been recently bought by a West Midlands collector.
Arriving here from Ireland in about 1962 it has rarely been seen in public since. Registered YI 6249 it was new in 1927 and fitted with the standard workshop body of WW1 period. It is assumed that at the time there were many of these bodies surplus and probably in 'as new' condition. A very similar body is on show at Duxford."
davemac likes this.
Old 09-07-2013, 17:14   #4269
Resting In Peace

Quote:
The road into Shap village.
The memorial stone on the top of Shap was officially opened by the lady who used to have the job of winding the clock, she lived in a cottage lower down.
I suppose I am one of the drivers that the stone pays tribute to.

Has anybody seen this little monument, it is situated about a mile north of Broughton traffic lights on the A6, it is on the right hand side just before the first house at the top of the small rise in the road.
I remember slowing down to take the picture and show my wife the stone, other drivers had no patience and blew their horns.

The last photo is the first tanker I drove over Shap on my way to Dounreay (near John O' Groats for those who don't know) power station. A weeks work there and back.

Am I boring you again with lorry photos, I have another 2342 to go yet, don't temp me.
Keep it up Russell, your pleasure in this subject shines through.
mobertol likes this.
Old 09-07-2013, 17:59   #4270
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Keep it up Russell, your pleasure in this subject shines through.
What year was that?
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 18:56   #4271
Senior Member+

Quote:
After a bit of research I came up with the following, just for you Dave.

"Having read in various threads of the re-emergence of vehicles released from Ireland in the early 1960s ( Lancia and Rolls-Royce) another has been recently bought by a West Midlands collector.
Arriving here from Ireland in about 1962 it has rarely been seen in public since. Registered YI 6249 it was new in 1927 and fitted with the standard workshop body of WW1 period. It is assumed that at the time there were many of these bodies surplus and probably in 'as new' condition. A very similar body is on show at Duxford."
Your effort is appreciated, I don't think you could post all those photos at once, however if you get stuck in you should get them all uploaded in 235 days
Old 09-07-2013, 21:54   #4272
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, A short walk around Jackhouse, it was too warm for anything energetic.

1. Starting with the wet bit.
2. The Orchid has established itself here.
3. Ragged Robin.
4. Cranesbill Geranium.
5. Wild rose in the sun.
6. Red Clover.
7. Mirid Bugs living on the edge, note the spider in the background.
8. Its a bit early for Fungi in any numbers, so I snap one at a time.
9. The bridge between the bottom and what was once the top reservoir.
10. Finally the Burnett moths are in plentiful supply here as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1160823.JPG (435.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1160825.JPG (416.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1160832.JPG (428.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1160847.JPG (419.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1160853.JPG (480.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1160859.JPG (445.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1160871.JPG (460.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1160889.JPG (466.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1160906.JPG (440.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1160941.JPG (378.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-07-2013, 22:23   #4273
Senior Member+

Is that down pothouse lane, I saw a place a couple of weeks ago, looked like a nice place to go, just not had the time recently.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 22:43   #4274
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Is that down pothouse lane, I saw a place a couple of weeks ago, looked like a nice place to go, just not had the time recently.
It is, and if you go up the top of the reservoir and follow the stream there is a waterfall of sorts, its best to go after heavy rain, today was just a trickle.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=jackhouse+reservoir just a few photos I have taken over the last year or so.

Last edited by davemac; 09-07-2013 at 22:47.
Old 09-07-2013, 22:48   #4275
Senior Member+

Only saw from a distance, posted a pic, post #4155, might try and have a look up there at the weekend.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..