Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2014, 19:47   #8401

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Back to Sunday and food and wine! Aperitif in a nice bar (Pic 2) after leaving theold village through one of it old arched gates and then the lovely Restaurant and typical local food we had in a nearby valley.
Menu: Local cured meats and home-made pickled veg with fritata and a basket of Torta Fritta (Pizza douch - roll thin and cut into squares then fry until golden and puffed up -very more-ish!)
Tortelli stuffed with Spinach and ricotta served with sage butter- mouth-watering.
Boned, stuffed guinea fowl
Home produced Gutturnio (red wine) from their own vinyards in the valley.

Recommended by a friend -I'd definitely go back to eat there again and it was a gorgoeus area. Rolling hills and sunflower fields but unfortunately mid-afternoon when we'd finished eating it was raining - just means I'll have to go back to take more photos of the countryside!
It all sounds delicious, and served up in such a lovely place too. I'm green with envy Diane
mobertol likes this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-07-2014, 19:58   #8402
Senior Member+

Quote:
Back to Sunday and food and wine! Aperitif in a nice bar (Pic 2) after leaving theold village through one of it old arched gates and then the lovely Restaurant and typical local food we had in a nearby valley.
Menu: Local cured meats and home-made pickled veg with fritata and a basket of Torta Fritta (Pizza douch - roll thin and cut into squares then fry until golden and puffed up -very more-ish!)
Tortelli stuffed with Spinach and ricotta served with sage butter- mouth-watering.

Recommended by a friend -I'd definitely go back to eat there again and it was a gorgoeus area. Rolling hills and sunflower fields but unfortunately mid-afternoon when we'd finished eating it was raining - just means I'll have to go back to take more photos of the countryside!

The buildings in No 1 are a photographers dream. Is that hubby in no 5 ducking down to avoid his picture being taken ?
mobertol likes this.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 20:22   #8403
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
The buildings in No 1 are a photographers dream. Is that hubby in no 5 ducking down to avoid his picture being taken ?
Yes, I agree Dave. It knocks Accrington into a cocked hat.....even with sunshine and a parade!

I would just love to be let loose in some of the places Dianne has shown us.
The buildings are fabulous.
mobertol and davemac like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 20:25   #8404
God Member

Quote:
Lol! No -he's not on this photo -had gone off for a smoke outside! He's a fair bit younger than those chaps in the photo...hardly a grey hair in sight - so he says
davemac likes this.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 20:36   #8405
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, I agree Dave. It knocks Accrington into a cocked hat.....even with sunshine and a parade!

I would just love to be let loose in some of the places Dianne has shown us.
The buildings are fabulous.
I love being a 'tourist' in Italy even after all these years Margaret - it has so much to offer. I'm lucky in a way that I also see "home" now as a holiday destination too - you look at things with different eyes when you don't see them every day.
I love the photos you all post from around Hyndburn and further afield - from holidays here and there and the great Canadian outdoors. We live in an amazing world which offers so much diversity in every aspect - I think we have to be grateful to Dave for starting this wonderful thread. It's making me open my eyes to what's around me and appreciate what is just there and normally taken for granted.

It's good to share all the little things that make up our days.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 21:10   #8406
Senior Member+

Quote:
Lol! No -he's not on this photo -had gone off for a smoke outside! He's a fair bit younger than those chaps in the photo...hardly a grey hair in sight - so he says
No not the group at the table, look through the window to the left, no grey hairs, and he has a shirt similar to the person at the table you posted with food on them.
Old 04-07-2014, 21:12   #8407
Senior Member+

Quote:

I forgot to say, don't be put off by the rain when there is a photographic opportunity, and remember, if its not wet, you are not doing it right.
shillelagh and mobertol like this.
Old 04-07-2014, 21:15   #8408
Beacon of light

Dianne you are so right with what you say.
I have often visited places that have been beautiful in so many ways.
I have spoken to people who lived in those places. Many of them, though not all, seemed to take the beauty of their home ground for granted....and I think that I am guilty of this too.

Yes, Dave is to be congratulated at starting this thread....it is one of the best...and most pleasant. It keeps those who have left the area in touch with the changing scenes. It has given those who(for whatever reason) cannot get out and about much, a window on the world.
It has educated us....it has shown us foreign shores as seen through the eyes of ex-pats.
In general it is just a damn good thread!
Old 04-07-2014, 21:18   #8409
Beacon of light

Quote:
No not the group at the table, look through the window to the left, no grey hairs, and he has a shirt similar to the person at the table you posted with food on them.
Dave, were you Sherlock Holmes apprentice?
Old 04-07-2014, 21:20   #8410
Beacon of light

Quote:
I forgot to say, don't be put off by the rain when there is a photographic opportunity, and remember, if its not wet, you are not doing it right.
Oh dear! The rain definitely puts me off. I don't like taking my cameras out if it is wet(not even the old cameras).
Old 04-07-2014, 21:22   #8411
Senior Member+

Right back to business, Today in Pictures, and yes it was raining, and it got wet.

1. Can you tell where we are yet.
2. One thing dies and another takes its place.
3. I'm not the only one getting wet.
4. I may have mentioned this before, but this reservoir is a feeder reservoir for the canal.
5. I think this was once a jetty, but only a guess.
6. Another wet bit.
7.Some trees struggle with the open aspect.
8. Same tree different aspect.
9. Well what else in the rain.
10. One left for the Woodpeckers, and by the looks of it, fungi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _1170513.JPG (424.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg _1170516.JPG (445.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg _1170521.JPG (477.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg _1170527.JPG (426.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg _1170535.JPG (438.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg _1170545.JPG (479.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg _1170551.JPG (405.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg _1170554.JPG (473.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg _1170579.JPG (409.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg _1170588.JPG (411.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-07-2014, 21:29   #8412
Beacon of light

I have never been in Cutwood Park.
I think this is probably the first summer I have even thought about going to Cutwood park.
The only thing that has stopped me can be seen in the far distance in a couple of the shots.
That stuff that is wrapped in round bales and covered in Black plastic - Hay!
This year my hay fever has been the worst it has ever been.......and has kept me indoors with windows closed.
Perhaps when the pollen dies down I will walk myself round this Park, because it look lovely.
davemac likes this.
Old 04-07-2014, 21:31   #8413
Senior Member+

Quote:
Dave, were you Sherlock Holmes apprentice?
No, just nosey.

Quote:
Oh dear! The rain definitely puts me off. I don't like taking my cameras out if it is wet(not even the old cameras).
I find warm rainy days are a pleasure to be out in, winter is another story altogether. However once I worked out a routine to keep my camera dry (for the most part) it became easy. It involves wearing a flat cap, and when the camera comes up to my eye I hold the peak and rotate it to cover the camera, the result is a dry camera, a wet cap and a wet head, but as I have said many times"if its not wet you are not doing it right".
Old 04-07-2014, 21:36   #8414
Senior Member+

Quote:
I have never been in Cutwood Park.
I think this is probably the first summer I have even thought about going to Cutwood park.
The only thing that has stopped me can be seen in the far distance in a couple of the shots.
That stuff that is wrapped in round bales and covered in Black plastic - Hay!
This year my hay fever has been the worst it has ever been.......and has kept me indoors with windows closed.
Perhaps when the pollen dies down I will walk myself round this Park, because it look lovely.
Another reason to got out in the wet, it dampens down the pollen count, although trench foot can be a problem.

If you do get there, going down Cut Lane brings you to the canal, going left is a nice section of the canal. Going straight on, you join up to the old railway line, and at that point walking possibilities are endless
Old 04-07-2014, 21:37   #8415
Beacon of light

It seems like I am going to have to invest in a flat cap.
I did once try to keep my camera dry using a plastic bag, but the controls were difficult to handle and the pictures were not very good.......it was a very unsatisfactory arrangement.
You would think that some enterprising person would formulate an umbrella that can be clamped onto your camera......like those they have in Spain to keep the sun off your head

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..