Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   The Last Chance (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/the-last-chance-66512.html)

Barrie Yates 27-09-2014 18:28

Re: The Last Chance

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1118808)

Thanks, very interesting, my Lad did say that there was also a fuselage section at Duxford.
The parts location was interesting - possibly some ommisions, or parts have been moved - there were quite a significant number at The RAF College Cranwell in '71, some were actually used in demonstrations to our course.

DtheP47 27-09-2014 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1118883)
Thanks, very interesting, my Lad did say that there was also a fuselage section at Duxford.
The parts location was interesting - possibly some ommisions, or parts have been moved - there were quite a significant number at The RAF College Cranwell in '71, some were actually used in demonstrations to our course.

Here's a good read for you Mr Y

TSR2: Britain's Lost Bomber - Damien Burke - Google Books

Barrie Yates 28-09-2014 00:01

One of the items that really caught my interest was the windscreen - gold plated (can't remember how many microns), but it was incredible as it looked different from varying angles, we were told that it was to ensure the windscreens remained free of mist and ice, as well as giving some visual protection from thermo-nuclear "events" - guess that is the forerunner of heated and water sensor windscreens on cars.

DtheP47 28-09-2014 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1118935)
One of the items that really caught my interest was the windscreen - gold plated (can't remember how many microns), but it was incredible as it looked different from varying angles, we were told that it was to ensure the windscreens remained free of mist and ice, as well as giving some visual protection from thermo-nuclear "events" - guess that is the forerunner of heated and water sensor windscreens on cars.

Nasa coated the visors of their astronauts suits for the same reason Barrie.

Barrie Yates 10-10-2014 19:55

1 Attachment(s)
This is thought to be the last ever Vulcan-Victor formation. The picture was taken by Neil Cottle from a Hercules in 1991. I understand there is one at Duxford (Victor), which is being considered for restoring to airworthiness

gpick24 10-10-2014 21:48

They siad at Southport airshow that best they can hope for is the Vulcan will fly to the end of next years air show season, after that (and maybe before) the engines will need too much work to continue.:(

jacksnipe 12-10-2014 08:48

These were taken while I was on HASLINGDEN MOOR,they flew quite low past me and my mate.

jacksnipe 12-10-2014 09:02

2 Attachment(s)
here are the images,taken in 2012.

Barrie Yates 12-10-2014 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1120394)
They siad at Southport airshow that best they can hope for is the Vulcan will fly to the end of next years air show season, after that (and maybe before) the engines will need too much work to continue.:(

Sadly this is the case. Great effort is going into fund raising to prolong the life.

Barrie Yates 07-11-2014 19:57

1 Attachment(s)
Slight wander but thought someone may be interested in seeing this. Obviously a composite but still classical

DaveinGermany 07-11-2014 22:28

All iconic British Aircraft, but missing the "Lanc".

Barrie Yates 08-11-2014 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1123086)
All iconic British Aircraft, but missing the "Lanc".

All are fighter aircraft DinG although some (all except the Meteor & Lightning I think), were used in a tactical ground attack role i.e. Fighter/Bombers, whereas the Lancaster were bombers pure and simple.

DaveinGermany 09-11-2014 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1123140)
All are fighter aircraft DinG although some (all except the Meteor & Lightning I think), were used in a tactical ground attack role i.e. Fighter/Bombers, whereas the Lancaster were bombers pure and simple.

Aye Barrie, I did think of saying fighters but as you noted some were also designated ground attack roles.

Still, classic Aircraft all. :)

Barrie Yates 09-11-2014 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1123172)
Aye Barrie, I did think of saying fighters but as you noted some were also designated ground attack roles.

Still, classic Aircraft all. :)

I have been told that the Meteor was in fact used in the ground attack role, but the primary function of all of them was fighter/interceptor. As you say all classics and I never tire of looking at such great examples of British design and engineering.:)

Barrie Yates 22-12-2014 06:48

Although a slight wander, something to keep the young, and not so young, entertained over Christmas
http://www.vulcantothesky.org/upload...r-cut-out3.pdf