Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007, 19:02   #1
Senior Member+

Bites !

Anyone know any miracle cures for horse fly bites ?
Got 4 on my leg from yesterday and I react really badly to 'em ;my leg has swollen up nearly double ! have had anti-histamine,painkillers and put Eurax cream on,and zapped the bites with my electronic zapper thing. They look awful,weepy and red and my leg feels like it's gonna pop !
Old 11-06-2007, 19:09   #2
God Member

Re: Bites !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Anyone know any miracle cures for horse fly bites ?
Keep your trousers on when in the country

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 19:14   #3
God Member

sounds like you have tried nearly everything. I always use witch hazel gel as it seems to take the redness out of bites..in fact use witch hazel for loads of stuff, sunburn, grazes, bites etc...

But sounds like your bites may be beyond that though..sorry and hope they get better soon

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 19:38   #4
Senior Member+

I'm allergic to mosquito bites and no matter what I put on them, the swelling doesn't go down for three days. You just have to wait I'm afraid.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 20:02   #5
Beacon of light

If you can tolerate an oral anti-inflammatory......like Nurofen, it may help a little bit, but i think you just have to leave them alone(no scratching) and wait. If they look like they are infected get along to your GP and get some antibiotics.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 20:09   #6
Senior Member+

Think they maybe infected ! The surrounding area of each bite has now come up really red ;about 3inch diameter around each one,and a white edge around the red ring ! Am toying with going to A & E but it means getting to Blackburn ! They have definately got worse in the last couple of hours!
Old 11-06-2007, 20:12   #7
Beacon of light

It would be best to let a health professional have a look at them......phone NHS direct....they may direct you up to the emergency GP unit the Blackburn hospital.
Old 11-06-2007, 23:27   #8
Give, give, give member

A jaunty, prettily patterned scarf, tied decorously around the neck, can disguise, and draw attention away from, any unsightly love bites.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 23:31   #9
Give, give, give member

Oopsie, didn't read what type of bites you had....just assumed.

Hope they calm down soon, and that you feel better.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:56   #10
Resident Waffler

I've still got the scars from some nasty insect bites of about 3 years ago that I got in Carnforth. They went just as you describe Lindsay and I react dramatically to them too. We got some fantastic stuff when we were in Tunisia but apparently it's not available here as it doesn't meet with some regulations or other but whatever it was I wish it was available here because it works a treat, cooling, soothing, anti-inflamatory and antiseptic and everything else all in one. Have you asked advice from a local pharmacist?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:41   #11
Senior Member+

My pharmacist at Boots took one look at the " Leg" this morning and packed me off to A&E ;it's now bandaged and iodine'd from ankle to thigh,I had to have a tetanus jab and a 7 day course of strong anti biotics. I have been told to go home and rest it,the Doctor drew lovely lines with a marker pen around the bite area and I have to go back tomorrow to see if it's improved ( ie that the infection hasn't sread over the lines !) and to get dressing changed !
All this caused by one lousy fly ! GRRRR.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:54   #12
I am Banned

Blumming heck Lindsay sounds bad, how did they know it was a fly? didnt think they were that bad

I had to have an emergency tetnus jab last summer after stratching my back on a rusty barb wire & came out with a big allergic reaction s not nice.

Hope u recover well soon.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 13:10   #13
mez
God Member

having arrived back off my hols to bulgaria on friday with feet & legs swollen out of propotion , i had to attend a medical center whilst there costing me £300 ....with suspected blockage in my left ankle & now just spent 5hrs in the dvt clinc at b/burn royal whom are still not sure if its a blood clot or an infection i have to go back tommorrow for a scan ...this is after i went to accy vic on saturday & was told to go & see my gp & get some water pills ..i rang nhs direct last evening .got an appointment with a doctor,( after failing to get one with my own yesterday .. yet again)who immeidatly made me the appointment at b.burn royal for today ..............................you have all my sympathy lyndsey ..may i say that a bite from a horse fly need to be seen right away with someone ...poor love they damm well hurt .........have a cuddle from me .x x x too.
Old 12-06-2007, 13:34   #14
Beacon of light

Lindsay, I'm glad you got professional help...it sure sounded like it was necessary......hope you are better soon.

Mez, hope you go OK at the hospital.....thinking of you take care.
Old 12-06-2007, 16:17   #15
Senior Member+

Accymel,I know it was a horsefly 'cos I saw the little monster busy feasting on my leg! (shortly before I slapped it into the middle of next week) I have reacted badly to 'em in the past and this really takes the biscuit !

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..