Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2007, 22:21   #1

Exclamation Housing benefit claim suspended?

Got a letter through this morning saying that my mums housing benefit/council tax claim has been suspended as they need to know if she is still in receipt of child benefit for me (im 20 lol). They also want to know what i have been doing for the last four years ie, employment or education. My mum is getting really panicky about it (nearly christmas struggling for money as it is). The thing i want to know is has this happened to anyone else and what was the outcome. Also any idea what can happen in this scenario. Any help appreciated.
Old 08-12-2007, 22:43   #2
God Member

Re: Housing benefit claim suspended?

Surely they know that your mum isn't in receipt of child benefit for you. She will have put the relevant information on her claim form which she filled out this year. I would go into the council offices on Broadway first thing Monday morning with the letter and ask for advice. Seems a bit odd this letter arriving just after the Child Benefit fiasco.
Old 08-12-2007, 23:02   #3
God Member

Make absolutely certain that you go and sort this out, I have seen people get behind with the rent by default because the council/benefits people got things wrong between them, left the tenants owing amounts they couldn't possibly afford, they were worn out and confused by the end of it, and nearly got evicted, keep an eye on it speedy, seriously, some of these people have a good wage and are nice and cosy in thier semi's, they do not have your best interest at heart these days! Only thier own cushy wellbeing.
Old 08-12-2007, 23:26   #4
God Member

Can I just add that at times the left hand doesn't seem to know what the right hand is doing at the council offices. Just make sure your mum gets down to the offices.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:27   #5

Yeah we are going to go down to the office and have a word (my mum will be all nicey nice, i wont lol). The strange thing is they say they have no records of any of my employment or education, the letter was from LCC who strangely enough had me working for them about 6 months ago! Suppose it just goes to show how unorganised they are. Will let you know what happens.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:33   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Yeah we are going to go down to the office and have a word (my mum will be all nicey nice, i wont lol). The strange thing is they say they have no records of any of my employment or education, the letter was from LCC who strangely enough had me working for them about 6 months ago! Suppose it just goes to show how unorganised they are. Will let you know what happens.
It really does sound like your mum shouldn't have got the letter. Just try to hold your temper, at the end of the day it sounds like a mix up. Know that is easier said than done sometimes especially when you can't contact them but it is the best advice I can give you. You will get it sorted try not to worry to much!!
Old 09-12-2007, 01:46   #7

Dont worry i can control my temper, im just better at getting what i want than my mum is in these sort of cases, she will just believe everything they say and nod along, where as i ask questions to find out who messed up how and why.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:55   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Dont worry i can control my temper, im just better at getting what i want than my mum is in these sort of cases, she will just believe everything they say and nod along, where as i ask questions to find out who messed up how and why.
I know what you mean but sometimes as I said before each department is not always aware of what the other one is doing.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:53   #9
Resident Waffler

Good luck. Yes, best just to keep calm and get to the bottom of it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:22   #10
Senior Member+

Why is your mum on housing benefit if you dont mind me asking?
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 16:27   #11
Senior Member+

thats a bit cheeky yolanda, thats personal info your asking for
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 16:30   #12

it is your mums responsibilitey to keep the housing benerfit upto date with any change of cercumstances if she doesnt then she will be liable to pay back any overpayment
Old 09-12-2007, 20:25   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyalex View Post
thats a bit cheeky yolanda, thats personal info your asking for
Didnt mean to sound cheeky, what i was wondering if she was like i was then mebbe i was able to help her, that was all
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 21:19   #14

You are better off keeping your cool with them other wise you will get nothing because that,s what,s they are like.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 22:58   #15
God Member

Speedy you haven't said whether you still live at home with your mum. What the issue could be is if she has been receiving full housing benefit and you have been living there and part of the time you have been working she should have notified them of this change in circumstances. As an adult non dependant living in the home would mean a deduction in her housing benefit....

sorry if this isn't what you want to hear but it may help you be prepared for when you go to the offices... any questions, just ask

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..