Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008, 06:23   #31
God Member

Re: Landlords!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
up here you have to have licence to be a lanlord a well known slum provider in glasgow got his took off him...

It looks like it is slowly being introduced down here but it looks like you need government permission rather than the council being able to have their own according to the link for a new trial scheme in Burnley;

Burnley Borough Council - Burnley Wins Bid To Tackle Rogue Landlords
Old 06-11-2008, 06:39   #32
Resting in Peace

We rent privately and the problem i have in getting anything done is getting hold of the landlord he moved from accy and now lives in Sutton coalfield .
he came round one day and said he was going to clear the back yard and concrete it over,he came with some workmen he is a builder by trade and they cleared all the rubbish and dug the ground right down and got it all ready for the cement and said he would be back the following weekend to finish it that was in August we are still waiting and he must have changed his mobile number as i cant contact him.
so now every time it rains (which is quite often in Accy) we end up with a swimming pool in the back.
And i have to wear wellies if its rained the night before to put the wheelie bin out

Last edited by Mick; 06-11-2008 at 06:43.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:29   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
We rent privately and the problem i have in getting anything done is getting hold of the landlord he moved from accy and now lives in Sutton coalfield .
he came round one day and said he was going to clear the back yard and concrete it over,he came with some workmen he is a builder by trade and they cleared all the rubbish and dug the ground right down and got it all ready for the cement and said he would be back the following weekend to finish it that was in August we are still waiting and he must have changed his mobile number as i cant contact him.
so now every time it rains (which is quite often in Accy) we end up with a swimming pool in the back.
And i have to wear wellies if its rained the night before to put the wheelie bin out
Stop paying the rent mick, he'll soon get in touch
Old 06-11-2008, 11:34   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
If he lifted stone flagstones it is clear that his real motive was to get them

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 17:58   #35
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Now thats why ya shouldnt rent private ......bunch o cowboys i tell ya, bunch o cowboys
Old 06-11-2008, 18:12   #36
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
Now thats why ya shouldnt rent private ......bunch o cowboys i tell ya, bunch o cowboys
Not all Panther. Ive had several good landlords/agencies over the years.

You can't tar all of them with the same brush.

Would be interested in the figures of appox how many families rent in the uk as opposed to buying. Also how many of those who do rent are authority/HAs/private.
Would hazard a guess the larger number would be private

As for price, how much does the rent on a 2 bed council or housing association property come to these days?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 18:38   #37
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post

As for price, how much does the rent on a 2 bed council or housing association property come to these days?
About £50 - £60 a week
Old 06-11-2008, 18:41   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
About £50 - £60 a week
I pay £52 for a one bedroomed flat that is due/waiting refurbishment

Old 06-11-2008, 18:43   #39
Caz
God Member

Was hoping for a more definite price, rather than a £10 quid difference.

They were much of a muchness when I rented from the council.

So whats the rent on your HA property Panther?

- Oscar Wilde
Old 06-11-2008, 18:47   #40
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

£67 a week, but thats for a three bedroom, and its a big house.
Old 06-11-2008, 19:58   #41
Caz
God Member

Well mine is private, not 3 beds maybe, but 2 very large bedrooms, and 2 receps.

Also not yer bog standard authority/HA box...a bit of character.

I only pay 75 per week, not that much difference.

Strange as it may seem, some people don't want to rent council for fear of being stigmatised, or due to the reputation of such estates.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 06-11-2008, 20:01   #42
God Member

I have heard that 'swaps' may soon be available between Hyndburn Homes and Twin Valley tenants.

Old 06-11-2008, 20:03   #43
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

so what special features does your house have caz?
Old 06-11-2008, 20:10   #44
Caz
God Member

Did I say special features? No, I said character..

Have lived in many houses over the years, Blackburn & Hyndburn, at least 6 of them council, and can assure you that they don't have the character of a 100 year old terraced property.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 06-11-2008, 20:27   #45
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I Too live in a 100 yr old property

Still has some of the old fittings, also have a spooky cellar!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..