Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 21:33   #1
God Member

Pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right I need advice!!!

Please can someone recommend some pain relieving gel/cream that I can put on my ankle??

3 weeks ago I tripped on the stairs. My ankle was very very sore, but I waited til the day after to go hospital thinking it would get better.

Day after off I went to Accy vic. There I saw a doctor that looked at my ankle ( literally ) and said " oh you have just twisted it. Keep walking on it and it will ease off. Day after I went to work. The most painful 6 hour shift I have ever had to do.

1 week later I went back to accy vic. When I saw the nurse she asked if I had a xray on it last time.......... I told her no. She looked at me and said " I think you should have done, I'm sorry the doctor you saw last week was a stand in doctor " ............ hmmm and??

this time they x-rayed it. Doctor came back and said " I can't see a break, I think you have sprained it. Nurse will put tuba grip on it, just rest it and it will ease. If it doesn't come back and I will have a look at X-ray again and refer you to physio.

and soooo another week on and It is getting worse not better. Every foot step I take feels like a very tight band around my ankle with a hell of a lot of pain that follows. If I walk for 20 minutes it swells up like a balloon!!!

I went to the doctors last week and he gave me Oruvail gel and Naproxen pain killers, neither of them do anything. The only thing that does ease it a little is Solpadol, which i don't like taking because they knock me out for hours, but I will do anything to stop the pain.

Ginger keeps telling me he is taking me back tomorrow, but I don't want to go back there. I'm not one for hospitals and doctors and it makes it worse when they give you that " why have you come here " look they obviously can't or won't do anything for me.

So if you know of anything that might help please let me know........other than that, I might have to amputate it

sorry for the rant x

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-08-2007, 21:42   #2
God Member

Re: Pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
Right I need advice!!!

Please can someone recommend some pain relieving gel/cream that I can put on my ankle??

3 weeks ago I tripped on the stairs. My ankle was very very sore, but I waited til the day after to go hospital thinking it would get better.

Day after off I went to Accy vic. There I saw a doctor that looked at my ankle ( literally ) and said " oh you have just twisted it. Keep walking on it and it will ease off. Day after I went to work. The most painful 6 hour shift I have ever had to do.

1 week later I went back to accy vic. When I saw the nurse she asked if I had a xray on it last time.......... I told her no. She looked at me and said " I think you should have done, I'm sorry the doctor you saw last week was a stand in doctor " ............ hmmm and??

this time they x-rayed it. Doctor came back and said " I can't see a break, I think you have sprained it. Nurse will put tuba grip on it, just rest it and it will ease. If it doesn't come back and I will have a look at X-ray again and refer you to physio.

and soooo another week on and It is getting worse not better. Every foot step I take feels like a very tight band around my ankle with a hell of a lot of pain that follows. If I walk for 20 minutes it swells up like a balloon!!!

I went to the doctors last week and he gave me Oruvail gel and Naproxen pain killers, neither of them do anything. The only thing that does ease it a little is Solpadol, which i don't like taking because they knock me out for hours, but I will do anything to stop the pain.

Ginger keeps telling me he is taking me back tomorrow, but I don't want to go back there. I'm not one for hospitals and doctors and it makes it worse when they give you that " why have you come here " look they obviously can't or won't do anything for me.

So if you know of anything that might help please let me know........other than that, I might have to amputate it

sorry for the rant x
Ask your doctor to refer you. Ask for a second opinion. It is your right.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 21:46   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Ask your doctor to refer you. Ask for a second opinion. It is your right.
I know what you mean, but I am one of those awkward people that don't like to make a fuss It never gets me any where and I wish I wasn't, but I can't change.

I just really hope it is a sprain and I haven't been walking around on a broken ankle for 3 weeks. i know they say sprains are painful but this is seriously killing me.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 02-08-2007, 21:49   #4
Senior Member+

Sounds more like ligament damage to me, I have an ankle that matches your description ! Have gone over on it a couple of times and now it's permanently swollen and painful if I am upright for a while ! Feldene gel works ok, get some decent anti inflammatory painkllers, whack the gel on and try to keep the damn thing elevated as much as poss. Come and see my pharmacist in Boots for his suggestions. hope you feel better soon.
( I still have mine in a tubi grip esp during colder weather)
Old 02-08-2007, 21:49   #5
I am Banned

U tried Ibuleive Gel, its got Ibuproferen in it anti inflab i swear by it for my back
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 21:53   #6
Senior Member+

Just be careful what you are combining; I know it sounds like common sense but folk don't twig that a gel with ibuprofen and taking ibuprofen tablets= double dose !
Old 02-08-2007, 21:54   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Sounds more like ligament damage to me, I have an ankle that matches your description ! Have gone over on it a couple of times and now it's permanently swollen and painful if I am upright for a while ! Feldene gel works ok, get some decent anti inflammatory painkllers, whack the gel on and try to keep the damn thing elevated as much as poss. Come and see my pharmacist in Boots for his suggestions. hope you feel better soon.
( I still have mine in a tubi grip esp during colder weather)
Cheers Lindsay!!!! I must have very weak ankles because last year I did my left one (( this time right one )) ........... but that was no where near as bad as this and took only a week to start feeling better. I am keeping it up during the day as long as possible (( kids permitting )) I think I will take a trip to boots tomoz and see what they say. I will do anything at all to ease this pain.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 02-08-2007, 21:55   #8
God Member

Quote:
Just be careful what you are combining; I know it sounds like common sense but folk don't twig that a gel with ibuprofen and taking ibuprofen tablets= double dose !
Yes I know that!!! I have put gel on about 1 hour ago and just took a solpadol tablet............ count down to zombie time begins because they seriously knock me out, but its the only thing that works.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 02-08-2007, 21:56   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
It does state so on the pack quite clearly, but u can combine it with paraceetamol without od-ing or harm as long as dont exceed dose on para's
Old 02-08-2007, 21:58   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
It does state so on the pack quite clearly, but u can combine it with paraceetamol without od-ing or harm as long as dont exceed dose on para's
Yeah I know but strangely some people don't think that gel or anything that comes out of a tube is medicine ???
Old 02-08-2007, 21:59   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Yes you can take paracetamol and Ibupro together because they haven't got same meds in them.

Doctor peter Dixon told me to forget Ibuprofen for a pain killer............ says you would need to take a very high dosage for any pain relief what so ever. He hates ibuprofen, and If I tell him thats what I'm taking, I get a lecture for 3/4 of an hour but he is a very good doctor and seriously knows his stuff.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 02-08-2007, 22:03   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

if all else fails,the amputation will defo cure it.
Old 02-08-2007, 22:08   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Don't tempt me cashy!!! If I had a sharp enough knife i would have to be kept out of the kitchen with the way I'm feeling at the moment.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 02-08-2007, 22:09   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post

..... or copious amount of alchofrol
Old 02-08-2007, 22:10   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
Don't tempt me cashy!!! If I had a sharp enough knife i would have to be kept out of the kitchen with the way I'm feeling at the moment.
Ginger!!!!!!!!! Move the knives out - gee got the vision of the film Misery in me head now

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..