Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2009, 18:23   #1
God Member

smoke alarm

about 7 years ago Twin Valley fitted all their houses with smoke alarms. they run off battery AND the mains, the battery is there incase the electric goes...the other morning my alarm decided to go off for no aparent reason, at 5 in the morning, luckily i was up and about...its just gone off again on its own and i dont know why

anyone any ideas? and its not that the battery is going because they beep when the battery goes/is going
Old 09-05-2009, 18:26   #2
Senior Member+

re: smoke alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
about 7 years ago Twin Valley fitted all their houses with smoke alarms. they run off battery AND the mains, the battery is there incase the electric goes...the other morning my alarm decided to go off for no aparent reason, at 5 in the morning, luckily i was up and about...its just gone off again on its own and i dont know why

anyone any ideas? and its not that the battery is going because they beep when the battery goes/is going

Give the fire brigade a call (not 999 obviously lol) They may be able to advise you or even send someone out to sort it
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 18:28   #3
God Member

now thats a great idea Em lol
Old 09-05-2009, 18:33   #4
Senior Member+

They go on about having reliable working smoke alarms so why not lol

But thinking about it, i really should check that mine work
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 19:44   #5
God Member

I know that mine work everytime I have sausages in the pan!
Old 09-05-2009, 19:58   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Call Twin Valley Shaz. It is a faulty piece of electrical equipment that is their responsibility. It may even be a requirement for their homes to have them in.
Old 09-05-2009, 20:04   #7
God Member

i was going to call them on Monday anyway Neil, i can report faults online too
Old 09-05-2009, 23:22   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

we had one top of stairs kept doing that at silly o clock in the morning when nowt was on in the house. moved it down in lobby about 12 months back, never gone off since. find that weird as we have heating etc downstairs.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:59   #9
God Member

they are a nightmare. I had them fitted as a requirement for a loft conversion. Mains connected with battery back up... they kept going off at weird times and I ended up taking the fuse out and relying on the battery back up... then they went funny too!!! I am having the whole system replaced soon so am using battery only smoke alarms in the meantime.

Must point out that sometimes them going off is caused by a build up of dust and they just need hoovering out with the hose attachment on your hoover

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:27   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: smoke alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
Must point out that sometimes them going off is caused by a build up of dust and they just need hoovering out with the hose attachment on your hoover
Is maintenance of hard wired electrical equipment not the responsibility of the landlord?
Old 10-05-2009, 09:46   #11
God Member

I use an 'air duster' to clear the smoke alarms, to clean the fans on our computers, and to clear oxy pilot systems on gas appliances, it is simply air in a can, and can be bought from any plumbers merchants, always be sure to turn off whatever you are spraying though, the cans and contents are flammable.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:14   #12
Resting in Peace

The Fire Brigade replaced mine with a 10 year one about 12 months ago, when they came to check my home because I have oxygen on the premises, I think they fit them anywhere if they're asked
Old 10-05-2009, 10:23   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The Fire Brigade replaced mine with a 10 year one about 12 months ago, when they came to check my home because I have oxygen on the premises, I think they fit them anywhere if they're asked
They wont fit them in the Wardrobe,toilet,or in the shed though

They fitted 2 for me top of the stairs and one near the kitchen these are the 10year batteries ones too but the one near the kitchen is very sensitive you only have to run the hot tap and it goes off we have to keep the kitchen door shut if we make a brew
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:35   #14
God Member

mine goes off with steam too Mick, always has, i'm naffed when i cook potatoes

Lesley, i never thought about the dust thing, i'll get someone to attempt to get the covers off them later and get the hoover out....the ones i have arent the little poxy things with the removable covers, they take a lot of strength to get them off, with the state my arms are in at the moment think i'm gonna have to get my bro to try and take them off

thanx for that hun
Old 11-05-2009, 09:57   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
They wont fit them in the Wardrobe,toilet,or in the shed though

They fitted 2 for me top of the stairs and one near the kitchen these are the 10year batteries ones too but the one near the kitchen is very sensitive you only have to run the hot tap and it goes off we have to keep the kitchen door shut if we make a brew
I only have one mick its in the hallway as you come from the front door, even so if I'm using the grill I have to close the door to the hallway, or its jumping of the ceiling. I also test it every week as advised by the fire service, I do it on bin day its easy to remember and I know its working

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..