Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 12:19   #1
God Member

Tense

i have an achey back, neck and achey shoulders and i cant seem to relax no matter what i do, tried relaxing in hot baths, tried chillin out in bed, tried sitting up straight, tried going for miles on my bike but nothings working, i've been like this for 2 weeks now

any suggestions?

Old 08-05-2009, 13:32   #2
God Member

Re: Tense

Have you tried Hypnotherapy?

I did a course through work on a Leadership week that was excellent.

the basics involved

Semi dark room
candles, aromatherapy oils burning
relaxing music/sounds ( birds twitering, whales etc) on low
take time to empty your mind of tyour day 2 day 'stuff' ( you know, teh bills, noise, arguments, tension)
slow your breathing and heartbeat down through your mind
empty your mind of all day to day thoughts
feel every part of your body in focus one at a time ( i.e. focus on your toes, how do they 'feel', are they tense etc, then move to ankles, knees, legs, hips, stomach, heart, chest, arms, fingers, neck, head ) 'feel' the stress, focus on relieving that stress do cycles of tense/relax/ tense/relax till you relax them, only move on when you have relaxed that part.

When fully relaxed, let your body go 'heavy' i.e. don't hold yourself, let your arms flop, your legs go limp etc

then in your mind, let it go darker, darker slowly getting darker till its Black.

then slowly open in your mind a picture of a relaxing image, you're sat on a river bank, fresh grass, flowers, teh sun gently warming your face, teh sound of birds in teh trees, teh sound of your kids playing happily in teh field, your partner there by your side. it needs to be an absolute idylic image you have, one where there is nothing you could improve, imagine yourself there, eating ice cream, cuddled up, whatever is in your vision of this idyl

stay there for 20 - 30 mins at least, enjoy teh absolute bliss that you feel, then slowly bring yourself away, float up and away from yourself into teh clouds, through teh clouds, higher higher, higher and as you come up let your mind start to take in where you are bit by bit, teh sound of teh washing machine, teh smell of your room, etc, and slowly slowly bring yourself back, opening your eyes at teh end.

Sit still and breathing as slowly as you can for another 10 mins.

Be careful when you try and stand up, you can feel a little woozy as your heart needs to 'catch up' and start pumping at normal speed again.

Do this once a week if possible and you will find it easier to slip your mind into teh relaxed state when you are feeling particularly stressed where ever you are.

Hope it works for you!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 13:45   #3
Beacon of light

Find someone who can give you an Indian Head Massage or a shoulder massage/back massage......this would release some of your tension........there was a UCLAN student who was offering this kind of facility recently(at very competitive prices)...and what is more she is mobile so would come to you.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 14:39   #4
God Member

all i need now is a printer to print out your instructions Ian, i'll give that a go, cheers matey

those head massages make me cringe Marg, the same as those wire things you put on your head...ooooooo no thanx, but thanx anyway x
Old 08-05-2009, 18:11   #5
Resting in Peace

You want rubbing down with a strang hand flashy that'll cure it
Old 08-05-2009, 18:13   #6
Beacon of light

Well, you may not fancy the head massage, but a back massage would be helpful.

I think the relaxation therapy is good, but not if you have to read it from a print out...it sort of defeats the object.......you can get relaxation tapes which guide you through what entwisi has outlined, but not sure about discs....they tend to be just music.
Old 08-05-2009, 18:13   #7
Beacon of light

Jaysay, i think she has declined that treatment, why were you going to offer?
Old 08-05-2009, 18:17   #8
God Member

Stop dragging the mower round the flippin garden for starters, I would be stiff for weeks if I did what you were doing last week!
Old 08-05-2009, 19:02   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
Stop dragging the mower round the flippin garden for starters, I would be stiff for weeks if I did what you were doing last week!

had to do it twice that week Derek, it needs doing again too

ok so now i need a male accywebber with a nice sexy voice to record everything that entwisi said and put it on disc for me

Derek you have a nice phone voice, you gonna do it for me? lol
Old 08-05-2009, 22:10   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You want rubbing down with a strang hand flashy that'll cure it
An oily rag more like.

Retlaw.

Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 22:42   #11
God Member

gonna knock that wall down one day retlaw then you'll have nowhere to hide
Old 09-05-2009, 00:05   #12
Resting in Peace

Entwisi's programme is usually practised at the end of a Yoga session and is quite good .... they used to tell you to breathe in and as you breathe out imagine blue smoke through the painful areas taking away the pain... this seemed to work for me if I had a headache.

Problem is, you are stuck in Catch 22 situation and the more you think about it, the less you relax and do more harm to your muscles. You will wake up one day not even thinking about it, and it will have gone. It's a mind thing unfortunately. Failing everything, I usually get p1ssed.

You will only be left with the headache then ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:32   #13
God Member

oh sod the headache Kate, i know a good cure for those
Old 09-05-2009, 09:28   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
oh sod the headache Kate, i know a good cure for those
If you have a fool proof cure for headaches flashy, you'l make a fortune selling it on the market

To blokes
Old 09-05-2009, 09:58   #15
God Member

sex IS the cure Jay

adrenaline gets rid of it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..