Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 07:50   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Urgent help needed please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly_45 View Post
I just wish in some circumstances they would scan the dogs and if chipped hold them until they can contact the owner to verify if their dogs where out unknown,or had they been set free.
Why? If any dog is out on its own either by accident (read poor ownership) or let out on purpose they still cause the same problems. Dog fouling, accidents with cars, attacking people in the street etc.

It is like saying we will let you off if you accidentally break the speeding limit.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:02   #17
Resting in Peace

I think the thing which would concern me even more is how they managed to get out in the first place. I could understand it if they were kept in the back yard and some one had climbed over and opened the gate and let them out, but being in the house itself, seems very strange to say the least, were there any signs of a break in?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:36   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why? If any dog is out on its own either by accident (read poor ownership) or let out on purpose they still cause the same problems. Dog fouling, accidents with cars, attacking people in the street etc.

It is like saying we will let you off if you accidentally break the speeding limit.

accidents do happen,i feel your not a dog lover,innocent humans get attacked by other humans in the street,and cause accidents too,
lancscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:47   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancscat View Post
accidents do happen
Accidents do not happen, they always have a cause. Would you have been of that opinion if those 3 boxers had attacked one of your children?

I sound like I work for the HSE now

Last edited by Neil; 03-02-2009 at 10:49.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:53   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Accidents do not happen, they always have a cause. Would you have been of that opinion if those 3 boxers had attacked one of your children?

I sound like I work for the HSE now

so we have a mr perfect do we? very much doubt the dogs would have attacked my children,as my children do not go out without me,you are making the dogs out as vicious .not all dogs are!some humans are worse,
lancscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 13:10   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancscat View Post
so we have a mr perfect do we? very much doubt the dogs would have attacked my children,as my children do not go out without me,you are making the dogs out as vicious .not all dogs are!some humans are worse,
You are looking at this one isolated case. Look at the bigger picture of dogs that are allowed to get onto the street by themselves.

A lot of fouling is done by dogs that just have the back opened and them thrown out for 10 minutes because the owner is too lazy to take them out.

I posted a story of 2 bull mastiffs that I watched rip a puppy to bits then turn on a young boy causing him serious injuries. They got out of a gate "by accident". If the gate had been locked then no one could have opened it to let them out.

Like I said accidents are caused.
Old 03-02-2009, 13:15   #22
Resting in Peace

Must admit, I have noticed that is very rare to see a dog roaming about on its own now. I always think when I see one, that it may have slipped its lead or got out 'by mistake'.

Still, would be interesting to read any reports the dog warden has to see if this is the case.

Mind you, not sure how far records would go back ? Did they have a dog warden in the 1940/50/60's .. really can't remember.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 13:31   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Cant find Hyndburns info but look at this Wychavon Disrict Council Stray dog statistics no real change over the last 3 years there.
Old 03-02-2009, 13:34   #24
God Member

Keeping any animal is an expensive luxury, which many people do not realise until after they have acquired one.
You take on responsibility for a life which has needs and emotions which differ from human life.
You also have the responsibilty for any action by that non human life which causes any distress and/or inconvenience to others.
This is a more demanding comittment than having children, because children mature and develop the capacity to look after themselves.
Pets will always be dependant.

Before deciding to have a pet animal you need to first examine why you want one.
When man first domesticated dogs and cats as pets, they did have a useful purpose.
Dogs kept wolves from flocks and helped shepherd those flocks.
Cats hunted and devoured rodent vermin which so aided human disease control.

Those functions are still valid today - if you are a farmer - a dog helps with livestock control.
If you have rodent infestations - a cat will solve it - but there are now cheaper ways which don't need any care commitment.

So you are probably swayed by the thought of having a 'friend' who will always love you and never questions what you do,
and regards you as their master.

If that is your reason, it is not a very sound reason, because it shows that your relationships with other humans is lacking these factors,
which you regard a need, but should you really need that much control over any living thing?

If you already have a pet, it will have gained your affection and although you may have doubts about why you ever got one, it is too late now.
You are comitted to safeguard that life and prevent it from damaging anyone elses life.

If you have no pets please think twice before getting one - many people just aren't capable of making a good job of it

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 13:34   #25
Senior Member+

happens all the time up here... theres a dog a few doors away that spends all its time outside and another that barks and scares the hell outta ty.

the one next door is the worse tho and it never goes out, just stays in the house barking all day and all night! sure thats gunna impress me loads in a few weeks!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 13:40   #26
Resting in Peace

Thanks Neil .... that's interesting ... is down quite a bit though from 2003/4.

Think would have to have a 10 year span to really judge.

Was interested to note the figures 'returned to owners without kenneling'

Higher than those taken to the kennels.
Old 03-02-2009, 13:44   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
the one next door is the worse tho and it never goes out, just stays in the house barking all day and all night! sure thats gunna impress me loads in a few weeks!
Report it now then to the dog warden and RSPCA. Dogs should not live inside all the time

This is from Ribble Valley Council site
Quote:
Animal Welfare Act 2006

The Council commits to observing and meeting its duties and responsibilities set out in the Animal Welfare Act 2006 and in particular, to recognising and promoting the 5 needs. as follows:
  • Need for a suitable environment
  • Need for a suitable diet
  • Need to exhibit normal behaviour patterns
  • Any need it has to be housed with, or apart from, other animals
  • Need to be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease
The Council is committed to giving due consideration and to promote the 5 identified animal welfare needs in relation to carrying out its duties and responsibilities. The Council will undertake appropriate interventions and enforcement concerning animal welfare matters and in particular the dog warden service and its animal welfare licensing functions.
Old 03-02-2009, 14:00   #28
Resting in Peace

This is a little ambiguous though from the HBC site:-

'The first time a dog is caught straying, the dog wardens will try to trace the owners and return it.
Any other stray will be kept safely for up to seven days.'

In that case, did the Sue's dogs not have any name tags or chips ?

Seems they do a dog chipping service @ £9.50 .. not expensive, and there is also a channel for people on benefits.
Old 03-02-2009, 14:17   #29
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I think it means they will not charge the first time the dog is out but will charge for repeat offenders.
Old 03-02-2009, 14:22   #30

Sorry if I caused a bit of a to do, I didn't mean to. Thankyou all for your replies. I've now got my dogs back and paid my money out. Apparently, the police rounded them up and called the kennels. There has been no mention of the dog warden. The animals are all microchipped etc but no one rang me until they were at the kennels. They've never been out before without being walked by us on a lead.
Thanks Katex for that from HBC, I'm going to take this further and investigate a bit more.
Thankyou all.
Sue
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..