Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-05-2008, 18:11   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Who Knows about big Tv's

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
just go buy a huge LG branded tv

they make a lot of componments for the bigger more expensive brands anyway

why pay more for a name

ps:

what used to be emit at padiham now sells bigh plasma and lcd tv's as they no longer do compuer parts

they are a lot cheaper than the shops but i havent yet spoke to anyone thats purchased from them

emit is next to where time computers was if you were wondering , the old mullards complex at padiham
Lg seem popular and cheap, what annoys me is all the little things that can make or break at TV, ratio, Resolution, Number of Porst ect, Mine Field, lol.

Is that the place in simonstone?

http://www.tvworld.co.uk/showroom/content.php?id=14
Old 23-05-2008, 18:47   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Lg seem popular and cheap, what annoys me is all the little things that can make or break at TV, ratio, Resolution, Number of Porst ect, Mine Field, lol.

Is that the place in simonstone?

http://www.tvworld.co.uk/showroom/content.php?id=14
yep thats the place

i dont want to put the place down BUT it is still owned by the people who sold teh computer parts under the name emit which was basicly time computers returned stock which they sold

i cant say for sure but these may be refurbs or returned stock from catalogue companies i just cant say for sure but theres no harm in asking

like i said earlier more expensive brands have LG made componments and i have yet to hear a bad word about LG , whne i get enough loot im going for LG for my xbox360 and my media center
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 19:07   #18
God Member

Posted via Mobile Devicebe careful. Some people on here lost a lot of money with that bunch of cow boys
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 19:18   #19
Senior Member+

I certainly did £1399.00 to be exact never again! this was when they were trading as time! be careful like entwisi said if you do go for credit at lest pay some via credit card then if anything happens you will still be covered! because just getting credit you will still be liable to pay it all back!

If only we had known this information before we went to buy our tv!
Old 26-05-2008, 18:10   #20
God Member

this looks a cracking deal for a fullHD TV

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/19018...-tv-with-free/

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

Old 26-05-2008, 20:42   #21
Senior Member+

Thats a fantastic deal!
Old 28-05-2008, 07:43   #22
Senior Member+

Whilst it is true that LG do make a large number of panels for other manufacturers, the engine that drives the panel does differ from company to company. Just because you buy a TV with an LG panel, doesn't mean that all TVs are equal. It isn't even true to say that a 1080 set is always better than a 720 set, so be very careful

LCDs have come a long way in the last few months and the 'washed put' picture referred to earlier in the thread is no longer relevant. The main issue with LCDs is the backlight, which increases colour vibrancy, but did nothing for black levels. I've got a Sony LCD and out of the box the picture was awful. A little research via the internet (the AVForums is really excellent) and I have a picture now that is spot on, but it takes time to get it right.

As for the 720 vs 1080 debate, well it isn't simple. Apparently the human eye can not detect the difference between 720p and 1080p at a viewing distance of more than 7 feet, so viewing distance is something else you need to take into consideration. I went for a 1080/24 set as I watch a lot of films, but for normal TV I still use Sky's standard service. As Entwisi says above, Sky's HD service transmits at either 720 or 1080i, so strictly aren't full HD anyway.

It is a minefield, but I'd suggest seeing as many as possible and not just in big sales rooms e.g. Currys, Comet, etc. Book a viewing with someone like Roy Jowett in Colne, who will give you far better advice than a salesman in a big retail store. I went into a Comet store when I was looking for a new Tv and the bloke lied to me about so many things that it was fun to wind him up and see what he'd say next.
Old 28-05-2008, 07:58   #23
God Member

I have a 48" Sony Bravia Lcd, wasnt cheap, but have no problems with picture or sound, on either tv or nintendo wii.
Old 28-05-2008, 10:22   #24
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Iv got a 38in tv and its plenty big enough for a normal sized room
I think a 42in is too big, if ya have a hugh living room its no problem, but put one in a room say....12X15 room then it looks stupid!, the image would not be too clear either because ya looking at it too close.

I have a TOSHIBA and its fantastic
Old 28-05-2008, 17:46   #25
Senior Member+

Thanks for the extra Imput.

I bit the bullet and got a samsung, not the cheapest by a long way but looking at certain stats this should be good for a few years.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/d...XXU&fullspec=F

Agreed with you TM im still not happy with the picture and need to mess with the colours ect, and AV forums is where I have been looking.
Old 28-05-2008, 18:09   #26
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post

Agreed with you TM im still not happy with the picture and need to mess with the colours ect, and AV forums is where I have been looking.
are talking about the new tv ya got?

why should ya need to mess with the colours etc...?
Old 28-05-2008, 18:21   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
are talking about the new tv ya got?

why should ya need to mess with the colours etc...?
Yes

As the standard settings arnt all that cleaver. IMO

Plus im a messer.
Old 28-05-2008, 18:51   #28
God Member

As I mentioned teh TVs tend to come set up quite 'vivid' as that WOW factor when you first turn it on looks good. however it tends to need turning down to give good deep blacks and natural looking skin tones.

going back 20 years when I was selling panasonic and Sony Tvs at Romers we still needed to do this, its not changed or got worse.

Old 28-05-2008, 19:46   #29

i have a 42in tv ; got it about 5years ago payed 3000pound for it then aweek later they were goin for 600pound i was well gutted ; make sure you get insureance for it ; best thing i ever did ; ive had it in the shop 3 times ; worsed tv i ever got ; so just make sure what your gettin ;
pussycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 20:09   #30
God Member

3 years ago was one of teh worst times "ever" to buy a new TV. No-one would have recommended it same as no one is recommending moving house right now.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..