Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-05-2008, 08:55   #1
Senior Member+

Who Knows about big Tv's

Thinking of getting a new TV.

Fancy a Minimum Size of 42"

Main thing I think is to look for 1080p but the price comparisons are so different im wondering why.

Anyone offer any advise on what to look for, I will be playing consoles on it as well as watching normal telly.

Plasma / LCD ?? Which one.

Anyone know of any good deals at the moment or offer some advise?

TIA
Old 23-05-2008, 08:59   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Who Knows about big Tv's

http://www.which.co.uk/reports_and_c...ce_code=607PTJ

This might help.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 10:17   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Thinking of getting a new TV.

Fancy a Minimum Size of 42"

Main thing I think is to look for 1080p but the price comparisons are so different im wondering why.

Anyone offer any advise on what to look for, I will be playing consoles on it as well as watching normal telly.

Plasma / LCD ?? Which one.

Anyone know of any good deals at the moment or offer some advise?

TIA
I always deal with Cryers on Abbey Street, they're a little bit dearer but give a good service, I got Panasonic 37in Plasma 2 years ago and I'm thinking for upgrading to a 42in shortly. I have Panasonic TVs for about 10 years now nd never had an ounce of trouble with them
Old 23-05-2008, 10:30   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I always deal with Cryers on Abbey Street, they're a little bit dearer but give a good service, I got Panasonic 37in Plasma 2 years ago and I'm thinking for upgrading to a 42in shortly. I have Panasonic TVs for about 10 years now nd never had an ounce of trouble with them
can back up what jaysay says, have been dealing wi em since they were "Ken Cleggs" on Bull Bridge, thats when Moby Dick was a tadpole, first class firm first class service, thats worth its weight to me.
Old 23-05-2008, 10:34   #5
God Member

Crt will always win with me, then plasma, then the dull washed out, lifeless colours of LCD.
There are lots of fors and againsts, but if you're using it for gaming and don't get an expensive lcd the picture 'cubes', I'm not aware of plasma's doing that.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 10:37   #6
God Member

Samsung are superb IMHO(and that of everyone I know who has one). Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, LG ad JVC equally.

Consider NOW how many inputs you need and are likely to need, some only have 2 HDMI sockets, I would recommend at least 3 for futuure proofing.

also check out the contrast levels. Plasma is better than LCD but the quality makes of LCD are not that far behind now ( cheap LCDs tend to be ~1200:1, samsungs etc are usually 8000:1). Screen burn is also not an issue now.

Some TVs are particularly rubbish at sound, none are brilliant so consider if you are going to wire up to a proper amp/speakers. I can heartily recommend teh Onkyo SR605 with Kef iQ speakers!

Above all, when you do buy one spend a good hour or so setting it up properly. They tend to come with Brightness and contrast set very high to make a vivid picture.

There are a couple of online retailers I have used 247electrical and Laskys. Both also offer discount through quidco as well.

Re teh 1080 vs 720 argument, remember that Sky broadcast in 720 and as I understand have no plans to go 1080. Films are 1080 but you obviously need a suitable player to take advantage of it. Games are obviously 1080. TBH I reckon it will be years before it all settles by which time you might be buying teh next one.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 11:13   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post
Crt will always win with me, then plasma, then the dull washed out, lifeless colours of LCD.
There are lots of fors and againsts, but if you're using it for gaming and don't get an expensive lcd the picture 'cubes', I'm not aware of plasma's doing that.
So your passing on info thats 2 years out of date, keep with the show...

LCD colours are fine(check out ethe whole contrast thing), the 'motion blur' that they(mainly cheap ones) suffered from has been erdadicatde and teh 100Hz sets are simply superb.

Funny how thousands of people are using LCDs as Hi Def games machines without screaming blue murder.

Old 23-05-2008, 12:20   #8
Senior Member+

Thanks for the feedback.

I just had a look in Cryers only had 2 in stock one plasma and one LCD bit expensive for me.

Also had a look in the shop across from the canine, LG's Pretty cheap really.

The search continues.
Old 23-05-2008, 12:48   #9
God Member

The shop opposite canine are refurb/B stock. I would see how much they are through laskys/247 before committing to one from there. If they are still lots cheaper fair enough

Cryers are good service etc but are a lot dearer than online for most things. I bought a shiny caninet there as they were same price but teh TVs were always £100+ more than I could buy the same set online.

e.g.

http://www.laskys.com/tv_and_dvd/lcd...lg_42lf66.html

http://www.laskys.com/tv_and_dvd/lcd...42xv505db.html

http://www.laskys.com/tv_and_dvd/lcd...i_l42vpo1.html

Last edited by entwisi; 23-05-2008 at 12:52.
Old 23-05-2008, 13:20   #10
Senior Member+

Cheers Ian

Yes the are refurb ect and that did put me off as like you say they arnt that much cheaper.

Liking the look of this one so far.

http://www.laskys.com/tv_and_dvd/lcd...557p2fxxu.html

Only problem is I fancied a bit of interst free credit.

Its a mine field, some many simmaler TV's with slight differences.
Old 23-05-2008, 14:28   #11
God Member

no such thing as Interest free credit. normally the price is artificailly high to cover teh cost.

if your credit is good, you could pay on Credit card( highly recommended for something like this in case there are issues you can get your cash back from teh CC company and let them battle with the supplier. ) then balance transfer to another card with 12 months 0% and pay it that way(OK there is usually a 2% transfer fee but thats about as close as you will get.)

Old 23-05-2008, 14:51   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
no such thing as Interest free credit. normally the price is artificailly high to cover teh cost.

if your credit is good, you could pay on Credit card( highly recommended for something like this in case there are issues you can get your cash back from teh CC company and let them battle with the supplier. ) then balance transfer to another card with 12 months 0% and pay it that way(OK there is usually a 2% transfer fee but thats about as close as you will get.)
I meant Buy now pay in 6 months, like a curries special.

I have 4 credit cards at the moment purley for that purpose, balance transfer.

Funny both Capital One and Virgin refused to give me a credit card, then barclays came along no problems, platinum card over £3.000 Credit 12 month Intrest free Balance transfer to but with a 2.9% Rate.

Someone mentioned a shop in blackburn like a TV warehouse but they can remember what its called.
Old 23-05-2008, 16:14   #13
God Member

just go buy a huge LG branded tv

they make a lot of componments for the bigger more expensive brands anyway

why pay more for a name

ps:

what used to be emit at padiham now sells bigh plasma and lcd tv's as they no longer do compuer parts

they are a lot cheaper than the shops but i havent yet spoke to anyone thats purchased from them

emit is next to where time computers was if you were wondering , the old mullards complex at padiham

Last edited by accyman; 23-05-2008 at 16:17.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 17:09   #14
Senior Member+

We have this for sale if you are interested http://www.flattelly.co.uk/shop/sony...ady-p-787.html. pm me if interested it has the glass table with it lovely tv just to big 50"!

Last edited by MUMMIBOO; 23-05-2008 at 17:11.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 17:51   #15
I am Band

I agree with Entwisi, CRT are well out of date... Don't listen to bum info from earlier in the thread. Phillips/LG no longer make 'em. Sony no longer sell their Trinitron brand, (as good as they were).

As you said in your original post, go for 1080P. If you are looking to feed it with a hi-def signal from a games console such as a PS3 or Xbox 360, you will get a better picture from an LCD tv than from a plasma display. Having said that, the received wisdom says that big plasma displays are better for watching films, but the gap is reckoned to be closing.

Lettie & I have a Sony 40' X-series which absolutely rocks when fed with a hi-def signal. Our brother-in-law, who is a well clued-up tech-head, has the same series of Sony LCD tv in 46' format. When hooked up to a PS3, the picture quality is sh!t-hot.

Do your homework, check out all the various review sites, when you have decided on a brand & model use a price search engine to find out the best price. I can recommend "Pricerunner", having used it to buy both a washing machine and a high-end DVD recorder in the last 12 months.

Check out the prices at DABS.com, they are based in Bolton. I saved over 500 quid on my Sony tv in comparison to the Sony Centre in the Arndale centre in Manchester.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..