Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Death of tradition. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/death-of-tradition-28839.html)

keith 06-03-2007 20:27

Re:globe pub

I seem to remember when I was a drummer in the church lads brigade 1940/50 period our drum major harry walshs mother was the landlady of the globe pub facing the last orders pub on blackburn road I stand to be corrected

WillowTheWhisp 07-03-2007 08:50

Re: Death of tradition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 390173)
I think places like this still exist...they are called gay bars!:D

Don't they have to allow lesbians in in these days of equality for all? ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ianto.W. (Post 393442)
Drifting off thead a little women who did their washing on any other day except Monday was considered as 'common'.

I must be common then because I've got the washing machine on. ;)

Tinkerbelle 07-03-2007 22:17

I know the guys at the Pioneer in Church tried there best to keep the tap room male only ,they lost though. It was always good fun in their being one of the only females able to go in .... perks of being the steward and stewardess's grandaughter :D

cherokee 08-03-2007 00:30

bring em back !!!!! I say ...so us women can have a pint in peace..lol!!!

JohnW 08-03-2007 16:22

Before leaving England's shores ten years ago, I played drums at the Birkdale Conservative Club. There was a "Men Only" room there, but there were only women behind the bar serving the drinks! Strange! The club had no female members either, only the men were allowed to be members and the women were allowed in as their guests, but not into the "Men Only" room of course.

Ianto.W. 10-03-2007 14:12

Re: globe pub

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith (Post 393720)
I seem to remember when I was a drummer in the church lads brigade 1940/50 period our drum major harry walshs mother was the landlady of the globe pub facing the last orders pub on blackburn road I stand to be corrected

You are dead right keith, my cousin Harry Walsh was the Drum Major of the Boys Brigade, he lives in Springhill if you want his address pm me, I can well remember our Harry at the front of all the civic parades swinging the Mace and throwing it in the air, our Grandmother Hanna Walsh took the Globe Inn in 1927 with her husband Thomas who died 6 years later leaving her to raise 6 boys alone, she ran the pub single handed untill approx 1960. She died in her midd 90s. Harrys mother Charlotte Walsh nee Allen lived in brewey property 2 door up from the Globe Inn. Harrys Father Jack Walsh was killed Whilst on convoy duties in Bombay, serving with the Merchant Navy in 1944.

Ianto.W. 10-03-2007 14:28

Quote:

WillowTheWhisp.I must be common then because I've got the washing machine on.
, Your probally far to young to remember that Mondays, were was days and Mondays only in those days WillowTheWhisp, ask any of the older end, as for washing machines these did not appear till the late 50s in any affordable style.:rolleyes::D.

cashman 10-03-2007 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ianto.W. (Post 395593)
, Your probally far to young to remember that Mondays, were was days and Mondays only in those days WillowTheWhisp, ask any of the older end, as for washing machines these did not appear till the late 50s in any affordable style.:rolleyes::D.

they didn,t appear in our house until early 80s iantow, late missus refused to have one for many years, said she did a better job, when she eventually weakened she would only try a twin-tub,so it was late 80s before she finally sucummed and had a proper washing machine.:) me mum n me nan only ever washed on mondays though.

shillelagh 18-03-2007 00:17

Exactly the same in ours cashy - monday wash day, tuesday ironing, wednesday hoover & polish upstairs, thursday hoover & polish downstairs, Friday windows, Saturday clean the kitchen.

Mum had a washer for as long as i can remember. My dad got her a dryer and she wouldnt use it but we were the only ones who had one - so the neighbours if they were stuck they'd come and use ours!!! :D Our washing would be all over the place and theirs would be in the dryer. Eventually my dad did his nut one day and mum started using it. :D

Ianto.W. 24-03-2007 13:02

Do you remember the Flatley Dryer, we thought they were the best thing sliced bread was invented, till the electric bill arrived.:D:mad:

Eric 24-03-2007 17:16

I remember the Vault at the Black Dog in Ossy ... not a bad idea, the vault, where else can a man fart and get applause? (the question is rhetorical)

Eric 24-03-2007 17:17

Oops, time to concentrate, kind of hard with 7 baby Rottweilers in the house.

katex 25-03-2007 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 402904)

Well, that was a convesation stopper ? :D

Ianto.W. 25-03-2007 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 402904)

We understand Eric you certainly must have a load of s--t to tollerate.:D

tosh 19-03-2008 18:31

can eny one remember men only in the games room of working mens clubs