Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Does anyone remember a Royal Visit in the 60s (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/does-anyone-remember-a-royal-visit-in-the-60s-36191.html)

MovedtoBolton 14-01-2008 22:08

Does anyone remember a Royal Visit in the 60s

I have an old B&W photograph of the Queen and a host of dignitaries outside the Dunkenhalgh. Her Majesty looks very young in the picture and the Lord Leiutenant looks remakably like Eric Morecambe. My Grandparents are also in the pic. I think it dates from the early to mid 1960s and I wouldn't mind learning a bit more about it.

Cheers

Ian

cashman 14-01-2008 22:09

Re: Does anyone remember a Royal Visit in the 60s

can ya not put it on here?

MovedtoBolton 14-01-2008 22:16

Not tried posting pic on here yet but here goes.

Grandma is the one sitting and Grandad is the policeman nex to her.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...Royalvisit.jpg

cashman 14-01-2008 22:25

well done, theres no real clue about the year, but yer grandad dont seem to have a walkie-talkie radio, an accy was the 1st to have em, think they came on scene around mid-60s so would guess before that, best i can do soz mate.;)

MovedtoBolton 14-01-2008 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 517025)
well done, theres no real clue about the year, but yer grandad dont seem to have a walkie-talkie radio, an accy was the 1st to have em, think they came on scene around mid-60s so would guess before that, best i can do soz mate.;)

You're right about the walkie talkies. I remeber him giving me a two large flags, one red and one green. These were apparently used to signal the Royal convoy (traffic control). My Grandad, in the shot appears to be a chief inspector so it would put the pic between 63 and 69. If as I suspect he is on ceremonial duty, he would be unlikely to have a radio. I get a feeling that this could be 65 or 66.

cashman 14-01-2008 22:38

if it was 60s as you think, my best guess would be 60-63, going off me walkie-talkie theory.:);) thats n ordinary coppers uniform init? reason i say that,chief inspectors had flat caps surely?

MovedtoBolton 14-01-2008 22:51

I've got two options with the standing copper. Grandad was definately either inspector or chief inspector - that was the rank he transferred to Accy with from Westhoughton which was then in Lancs, so either the hat was ceremonial OR my grandad is eslewhere and the copper isn't Grandad and is just minding my gran. It's not impossible as I am relying on my old man for the ID. The reason I think it's later is that I was born in 62 but remember running around with the flags mentioned in my earlier post. I hope someone else picks up on this cause it would be great to get an accurate date.

junetta 14-01-2008 23:52

I would say that the Police Officer on the left is a Chief Inspector.......three pips on his shoulder.

garinda 15-01-2008 00:24

Only a guess, but I'd say the Queen's outfit looks like Norman Hartnell circa 1967.

ossy kid 15-01-2008 02:22

The queen was born in 1926 and looks in her upper 20s on the photo which would make the photo the mid 50s but that,s only an observation. The mayor {I think** is stood behind her but his wife is quite clear. Anyone recognize her?

beechy 15-01-2008 05:25

you would think a royal visit as such would have been recorded in the obbie could it not have been around the same time as her visit in the fifties memory plays tricks :confused:

garinda 15-01-2008 17:00

Although the Queen never followed fashion, her hemlines did rise in the sixties. Though unlike Princess Anne she never went in for mini skirts.

In the photograph the coat dress is knee length, and I'd definitely say it was sometime after 1965, and most probably made by Sir Norman Hartnell.

I can't find any information about a visit that included the Dunkenhalgh, but have found some visits made to Bolton, starting in 1954. Sadly she isn't wearing the same outfit shown in the photograph here.

Judge for yourself.

Photo Order: Newsquest (Lancashire) Bolton News

Someone must know the actual date. Please help, it's starting to bug me now.:D

lancscat 15-01-2008 17:46

sorry no as i wasnt born in the 60s lol:tongueout

garinda 15-01-2008 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancscat (Post 517253)
sorry no as i wasnt born in the 60s lol:tongueout

I wasn't around in the 1860's, but still I know Queen Victoria was widowed in 1861.;):D

nikkival 15-01-2008 21:04

After doing a bit of searching I've found out that the Queen & Duke of Edinburgh did a Tour of Lancashire in April 1955.

There was an old newspaper for sale on Ebay showing the queen in Southport in April 1955.

QUEEN VISITS SOUTHPORT APRIL 14 1955 NEWSPAPER on eBay, also Vintage 1920-1980, Newspapers, Paper Ephemera, Collectables (end time 19-Dec-07 12:58:59 GMT)

I also found this -

Film no: 127 LANCS ACCLAIM QUEEN AND DUKE 1955
Producer: British Paramount News
b/w - sound - 35mm - 5m 24s

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh arrive at Morecambe by train and go on to visit Lancaster, Preston, Hutton where there is a police display, Southport, Burnley, Darwen, Blackburn where they visit an electronic components factory, Nelson where they visit a cotton mill, Blackpool where they attend a gala performance at the Opera House and meet the stars.

Source - Intute: Arts and Humanities - nwfa

Way before my time but hope it helps.