Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   The Games we played (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/the-games-we-played-50847.html)

jaysay 14-12-2009 10:20

The Games we played

At the moment every time the ads are on TV its Game Boy, X Box, Wii Nintendo yet there was nothing like this when my age group were young, we had to make our own entertainment 52 weeks a year, along with the usual Cricket and Football, there all types of games we dreamt up, anyone remember playing Tinny, anyway what games did you lot play all those years ago

beechy 14-12-2009 14:43

Re: The Games we played

think we all played.... nick nack, hopscotch,
some had a top and whip, we played french cricket
you stood still with a stick in your hand and another player had to try and hit your legs with a ball.. of course you had to stop them,
and if you was lucky you had a transistor radio,and listened to music
out doors
:theband:

sm_counsell 15-12-2009 08:05

My brother Mick organised a Subbuteo (can't remember spelling!) league. All boys except me. There were matches every week wherever a house was available. (I can remember playing in Johnny Omerod's house up New Lane). Every one represented a famous team (I was Bilbao). My brother was easily corrupted and if any of the boys complained about losing he would arrange a match against me! Obviously I always lost. Still these are happy memories.

jaysay 15-12-2009 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm_counsell (Post 769891)
My brother Mick organised a Subbuteo (can't remember spelling!) league. All boys except me. There were matches every week wherever a house was available. (I can remember playing in Johnny Omerod's house up New Lane). Every one represented a famous team (I was Bilbao). My brother was easily corrupted and if any of the boys complained about losing he would arrange a match against me! Obviously I always lost. Still these are happy memories.

Ain't heard of JAMO for a long time, used to work in the same office as John at Franklands in the early 70s, and played Cricket with him for Ossy Immanuel. In fact the last time I saw him was around 2002 when I was in the next bed to his dad in Queens Park, his dad had a pen opposite my house when I lived on Eagle Street, of New Lane many moons ago

Eric 15-12-2009 17:15

I think I remember Tinny ... did it have something to do with an empty tin in a circle drawn in the dirt:confused: I've killed off a lot of brain cells in my life, but somewhere in my dusty memory I recall "tinny tin tin".

I used to love "Owzat" ... played with hexagonal (octagonal?) dies.

MargaretR 15-12-2009 17:31

Cats Cradle - amusement for hours with just a piece of string

accyman 16-12-2009 08:33

kiss chase - now banned as some idiot somewhere will have declared it to be sexual assault

off ground tig - now banned because it encourages children to climb without aid of a safety net or helmet

hide and seek - now obsolete because it isnt fair on teh fat kid that tries hiding behind a lamp post

postmans knock - now banned because royal mail employees see it as their job and strike if kids are found to be doing it for free

kerby - now banned because the council see it as gross miss use of a kerb

knifey - now obsolete because apparently trees have feelings

grannyclaret 16-12-2009 09:48

paper chase....now it would litter louting,,,,,,,,,,,,:D

Eric 16-12-2009 18:12

making lanterns by putting candles in jam jars .... fire hazard.:mad:

MargaretR 16-12-2009 21:35

1 Attachment(s)
We made swings on old style lampposts

jaysay 17-12-2009 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 770359)
We made swings on old style lampposts

Can still hear my mother shouting "will you get down of that lamp post you'll hurt yourself":D

katex 17-12-2009 18:47

Used to love playing with two balls (Neil/Accyman .. bite your tongue !). Juggling them up against a wall. The task got harder as you had to do one overarm, then one under your legs, then drop one, turn around etc.

Sure it was done to a song .. 1,2,3 Alarah (no idea how to spell this), de, de, my sister Sarah ????? Or was this another game ?

Neil 17-12-2009 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 770517)
Used to love playing with two balls (Neil/Accyman .. bite your tongue !). Juggling them up against a wall.

As if I would say anything ;)

Will you be juggling them while doing the thing I am buying you the Bacardi and coke, ice no lemon for on Saturday? :rolleyes::D

AngleIron 17-12-2009 18:55

Marbles....Whalley??

katex 17-12-2009 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 770518)
As if I would say anything ;)

You just have .. :D

Will you be juggling them while doing the thing I am buying you the Bacardi and coke, ice no lemon for on Saturday? :rolleyes::D

Only for a double ... :p Mmmm better get practising.