Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-12-2008, 18:57   #61

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishton blue View Post
jaysay would that be david tomlinson big guy with glasses who later played in several groups with royston jones and rodney hill.
Last time I saw Rod Hill he was running a chippy on Whalley Road
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-12-2008, 19:52   #62

did david tomlinson work at jbbridges on church street many years ago
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 10:44   #63
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
did david tomlinson work at jbbridges on church street many years ago
He did I think Keith, went to williams when Bridges closed
Old 20-12-2008, 18:44   #64
God Member

Never mind these no marks. What about Swinging Wilf?
Stevie R likes this.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 22:55   #65
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Never mind these no marks. What about Swinging Wilf?
was only talking about him in the butchers a few weeks ago, remembering when he used to appear up the plough, was asking what became of him. anyone know?
Old 21-12-2008, 00:46   #66
God Member

What about "Evil Doc Talbort" ? where has he gone?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 08:02   #67
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
was only talking about him in the butchers a few weeks ago, remembering when he used to appear up the plough, was asking what became of him. anyone know?
He lived in Fern Gore and died alone. Legend has it that no one was aware of his death for a few days and when he was eventually found his dog had started to eat him.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 09:45   #68
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I think the guy that made the most out of that was Jim the landlord, people came from miles around to see Wilf, my local was the Stop and Rest at the time and I was stopped on many occasions by out-of-towners asking where Wilf was appearing, the only pay he received was a few pints a night and he used to fill the pub Friday Saturday and Sunday, not to mention the merchandising, T shirts with "I've seen Swinging Wilf" on
Old 22-12-2008, 18:25   #69
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
Last time I saw Rod Hill he was running a chippy on Whalley Road
last i heard rod was teaching music at rhyddings school ossy.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 21:23   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
last i heard rod was teaching music at rhyddings school ossy.
Better use of his talents then
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 22:45   #71

Jon Anderson lived on norfolk st with his sister joy and tony. he delivered milk for walt procter in the early 60s. the group he and tony were in were the warriors .Orange bedford ca van remember the horns.We watched them up the con every time, them were the days.
My mum once told him to leave the house for saying bloody hell and she would do the same today shes 88,

Last edited by abiteachuck; 27-12-2008 at 22:47.
abiteachuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 18:14   #72
Full Member+

One of the most popular Accrington groups of the 1960/70's was Lennie and the Teenbeats. Lennie herbert was the brains behind the group which had Pete Hibbert as it's main singer. They were regulars at Accy Con Club and I also recall them appearing on the same bill as Billy Fury, with Georgie Fame and The Blue Flames at Barnoldswick Civic Hall. That was certainly a night to remember.

Stumped.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 18:57   #73
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post

One of the most popular Accrington groups of the 1960/70's was Lennie and the Teenbeats. Lennie herbert was the brains behind the group which had Pete Hibbert as it's main singer. They were regulars at Accy Con Club and I also recall them appearing on the same bill as Billy Fury, with Georgie Fame and The Blue Flames at Barnoldswick Civic Hall. That was certainly a night to remember.

Stumped.
remember well, sadly petes in poor health these days, never forget his "Eddie Cochran"
Old 30-12-2008, 19:33   #74
Senior Member+

Billy Fury's one time backing band was
The Blue Flames. before Georgie Fame came along

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 10:14   #75
Resting in Peace

Talking about backing bands Marty Wilde's Backing band was The Weather, their Lead Guitar was Eric from the music box in Accy, now that lad could play the guitar, used to watch him regular in the 70s when he played lead in a Band called Copper Kettle, who were under the same management team as Rainbow Cottage another excellent band
By the way Eric's last name is Triwee, I think, well that's how I pronounced it, but I'm sure I ain't spelt it right

Last edited by jaysay; 31-12-2008 at 10:16.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..