Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 07:26   #76

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

It would be great to see some old photos of these groups from the 60s, Garth Dawson must have hundreds, he was always knocking about somewhere on a Saturday night, up the Con, the Arcs or somewhere, it would be a great legacy to those who were in those groups but never made the big time, ( please dont mention Jon A, its been done to death ). There were dozens of groups in those days, so maybe Garth or Bob Dobson, could come up with something, one of you must have a bit of influence. It would be a shame to lose that part of our history, What do you think.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-01-2009, 10:15   #77
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
It would be great to see some old photos of these groups from the 60s, Garth Dawson must have hundreds, he was always knocking about somewhere on a Saturday night, up the Con, the Arcs or somewhere, it would be a great legacy to those who were in those groups but never made the big time, ( please dont mention Jon A, its been done to death ). There were dozens of groups in those days, so maybe Garth or Bob Dobson, could come up with something, one of you must have a bit of influence. It would be a shame to lose that part of our history, What do you think.
A lot of the lads from the 60s groups now turn out for Accy Rockers, who do a lot of charity gigs these days, when ever they play its more like jamming session than a gig, great nostalgia Alan
Old 01-01-2009, 10:20   #78
Super Moderator

Good idea, Al, I'd love to see some of those shots from the swinging sixties.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:39   #79
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

those are pics i would really enjoy seeing, but being n eternal optimist - aint holding me breath.
Old 01-01-2009, 13:48   #80
Senior Member+

Hi havent put a photo on for ages. hope it works, should be The Dappers.

Happy New Year to all.

Atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheDappers1964OakHillpark.jpg (14.9 KB, 142 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 13:57   #81
Senior Member+

it looks like You got your Mojo working.
Happy New Year

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 14:02   #82
Senior Member+

ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

This should be Accrington's very own JIM PAYNE and JONESEY. what a hunk Jim Payne was!

Atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JimPayneandJonesy.jpg (18.2 KB, 121 views)
Old 01-01-2009, 14:15   #83
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post

Happy New Year to all.

Atarah
great photo atarah, Tommys on wi friends at sydney st this afternoon, as usual.
Old 01-01-2009, 14:19   #84
Full Member+

Haven't seen Pete for some time. Sorry to hear that he is in poor health. We were apprentices together in the 60's at English Electric.

Regards . . . Stumped
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 14:22   #85
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

quick question fer atarah. though they were virtually same, which came first? the Dappers or the Sundowners? me memory aint what it was.
Old 01-01-2009, 15:07   #86
Senior Member+

Hi, just a bit before my time. I never followed these groups, but did know of their existence. From what I remember Peter Hibbert telling me once, (he of course knew all the bands at that time), I "believe" it was The Sundowners name which The Dappers used first
Atarah
Old 01-01-2009, 15:15   #87
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Hi, just a bit before my time. I never followed these groups, but did know of their existence. From what I remember Peter Hibbert telling me once, (he of course knew all the bands at that time), I "believe" it was The Sundowners name which The Dappers used first
Atarah
thats the way i remember, but wouldn't like to put me shirt on.
Old 01-01-2009, 15:40   #88
Super Moderator

Before Jonesey, Jim was in a band called Accrington Stanley which also featured Rod Hill and Dave Foster from The Warriors, Brian Johnstone and local legend, Wammy. This is the great, lost Accy supergroup. They played a few gigs, recorded a few tracks and were all set to be signed by a major record label, but somehow it never happened and they broke up. There's a page devoted to them on Dave Foster's site...

Accrington Stanley / David Foster @ Highland Motorcycle Holidays
Old 02-01-2009, 10:19   #89
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
quick question fer atarah. though they were virtually same, which came first? the Dappers or the Sundowners? me memory aint what it was.
Think it was the Sundowners, was in the same class as Frannie at school and he was playing with them then, we stayed on until we were 16
Old 02-01-2009, 10:23   #90
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Happy New Year to all.

Atarah
Where was that photo taken Atarah, have you any idea?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..