Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 21:37   #16
God Member

Re: Back in the good old days

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
the outside loo was a bit of a bummer
i remember not being able to have a loan for
a triumph dolomite because we had no inside loo
On the subject of outside loo:

We had an outside loo which consisted of a purpose built box to encase a large tub which had to be emptied every seven days...and guess who had the job?
The box and tub were at least covered with a brick built shed?
Paper was cut in equal squares from the local rag hung on a string.
To use a pun 'Good old days, my arse'

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2009, 22:09   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It did keep the house warm but it gurgled and belched all the time and every night, when he went to "riddle his clinkers", you cloud hear the sound of his riddling all through the pipes.
Nothing worse than having your clinkers riddled.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really

Last edited by Mick; 07-01-2009 at 06:26.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 22:12   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Quote;It did keep the house warm but it gurgled and belched all the time and every night, when he went to "riddle his clinkers", you cloud hear the sound of his riddling all through the pipes.

Nothing worse than having your clinkers riddled.
You should be so lucky...........

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 22:19   #19
God Member

Those were the days when 8 years olds were sent to the local ironmongers with a big Stantons glass pop bottle to be filled with parafin for the lamp used to stop the pipes in the outside lavvy from freezing up . Guess these days the parents would be 'had-up' for child abuse .
Also amazing how clean the womenfolk kept the wood tippler seats scrubbed spotless , womenfolk these days don't know there born .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 22:23   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Those were the days when 8 years olds were sent to the local ironmongers with a big Stantons glass pop bottle to be filled with parafin for the lamp used to stop the pipes in the outside lavvy from freezing up . Guess these days the parents would be 'had-up' for child abuse .
Also amazing how clean the womenfolk kept the wood tippler seats scrubbed spotless , womenfolk these days don't know there born .
There were no water pipes in a long drop lavvy - just a long deep/wide pipe into the sewer.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 22:30   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
There were no water pipes in a long drop lavvy - just a long deep/wide pipe into the sewer.
I know that , it was my Grandmas house with the tippler, and we had the 'modern' flush WC with the lead pipes that used to freeze up and burst
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:29   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
When my mum and dad had an indoor loo installed, my gran made a special visit to view and experience the novelty.
Her comment was -
"Useless! - you splash your bum"
On a bad night I splashed my bum on the long drop Margaret
Old 07-01-2009, 09:34   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
On a bad night I splashed my bum on the long drop Margaret
LOL....good job you are in a ground floor flat....I couldn't cope if my flat was under yours think luftwaffa

Old 07-01-2009, 09:35   #24
Resting in Peace

Remember in the sixties when I was working for a small joiners for a while, he did full house renovations, including new windows and bathroom, it also entailed digging out the old long drop toilet too, I didn't work there to long
Old 07-01-2009, 09:39   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
LOL....good job you are in a ground floor flat....I couldn't cope if my flat was under yours think luftwaffa
Brings an all new meaning to Dive Bombing Margaret
Old 07-01-2009, 09:44   #26
Resting in Peace

Just been thinking, we don't get snow falls like we did in the fifties and sixties, can remember how the snow always used to drift down our street and always where the gutter was, it used to say there for weeks was just like a wall of snow, think the biggest drift was about five feet high, great for us kids but not for our parents
Old 07-01-2009, 10:00   #27
God Member

In the winter of 1947 I remember standing at the door of our 'glass place' (the glass roofed area between our and next door's outkitchen), watching my dad digging a trench in the 5ft deep snow in the backyard, so that we could get to our long drop.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gesc_b/Pages/Index.html

Old 07-01-2009, 10:04   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It was tatas every morning,
What's this Jaysay ?

Actually, reading your memories Jaysay, feel I must have been privileged, do not particularly have memories as you have.

Although neighbours had long drops, we had a flush toilet, and the paraffin lamp was always in situ during an icy spell. Bathroom was installed early in my life, as cannot just remember what it was like before we had one, although certainly remember the jerry under the bed ... LOL. Remember my dad clearing a path out to the toilet during snow periods.

Always came down in the morning to a roaring fire and cooked breakfast. Mum worked until my Gran, who lived with us, died when I was 12. She was a weaver, my dad a clothlooker. Must have got up very early to ensure we were OK when getting up ... although Gran helped of course.

Was never put to bed without my winceyette nightdress, a hot water bottle and fresh sheets with two utility natural coloured blankets plus a feather quilt. Radiator type heater in bedroom too.

We had a small asbestos kitchen extension in our 2 up/2 down, but don't remember it being cold, what with extra heater and oven being in there.

Woolies were always hand knitted and 'wool' of course .. much warmer than these synthetic fibres.

No, not well off at all but blessed with organised parents I guess. I can truthfully say were 'Good Old Days'.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:18   #29
Resting in Peace

When Anne and me got married in 1972 the first house we bought in Preston was down near the Docks cost £1,275 2 up 2 down outside loo
after living there a few years there was a compulsory purchase order on the house they where clearing the area we got £1,285 after paying the mortgage off we ended up with £110
we used to put hurricane lamps in the loo to keep it from freezing the pipes
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:47   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
What's this Jaysay ?

Actually, reading your memories Jaysay, feel I must have been privileged, do not particularly have memories as you have.

Although neighbours had long drops, we had a flush toilet, and the paraffin lamp was always in situ during an icy spell. Bathroom was installed early in my life, as cannot just remember what it was like before we had one, although certainly remember the jerry under the bed ... LOL. Remember my dad clearing a path out to the toilet during snow periods.

Always came down in the morning to a roaring fire and cooked breakfast. Mum worked until my Gran, who lived with us, died when I was 12. She was a weaver, my dad a clothlooker. Must have got up very early to ensure we were OK when getting up ... although Gran helped of course.

Was never put to bed without my winceyette nightdress, a hot water bottle and fresh sheets with two utility natural coloured blankets plus a feather quilt. Radiator type heater in bedroom too.

We had a small asbestos kitchen extension in our 2 up/2 down, but don't remember it being cold, what with extra heater and oven being in there.

Woolies were always hand knitted and 'wool' of course .. much warmer than these synthetic fibres.

No, not well off at all but blessed with organised parents I guess. I can truthfully say were 'Good Old Days'.
Tatas kate, bleeding cold that's what tatas is My problem was that when I was very young both my mum and dad were both laid low by illness well my dad lost a finger using a woodworking machine and was of work for ages, and his firm weren't insured and shortly after they went bust too. My mother had pneumonia and was off work for months, so after that, even though they both went back to work they were always chasing the game just to catch up. As for a winceyette nightie kate brings an all new meaning to keeping your nightie round your toes me thinks

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..