Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2013, 11:20   #16
God Member

Re: Bin Holes.

I recall the fish were in jam jars.

The plastic bags were not in use until 1950.

When were plastic bags invented

..but no doubt rag men used them for that when they became available

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-06-2013, 12:23   #17
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Bin Holes.

Going back just a touch further, my dad growing up in the 30's told tales of the rag man giving you a day old chick for your rags, back then it seems everyone kept hens in the backyard.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 17:14   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Going back just a touch further, my dad growing up in the 30's told tales of the rag man giving you a day old chick for your rags, back then it seems everyone kept hens in the backyard.
When you look back to your youth, there's no comparison with how youngster grow up today, they walk round all day with a mobile stuck to their fingers texting, usually texting their mates who are stood next to um
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 19:41   #19

Ok does anybody know when they did away with bin oles and how did they go about it???
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 21:06   #20
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Ok does anybody know when they did away with bin oles and how did they go about it???
All I remember is that they bought a fleet of wagons that were too big to get downthe back street, they then started issuing black bags, then wheely bins appeared, can't remember the exact year, but it could be over ten years.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 01:51   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
There was no recycling in them days 'cause the newspapers etc were used for lavi rolls, the tins were used with string to communicate, the bottles were used for vases. We were very creative in them days? actually not creative just by necessity.
And the jam jars for lanterns ... a bit of string for the handle and a candle stub, and you were in business.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 07:43   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
they had virtually stopped using when I was a lad, can't remember us every using one can't remember even having one, the bin men used to come in the back yard and take ours out then leave them at the back door when empty
Old 27-06-2013, 07:45   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
All I remember is that they bought a fleet of wagons that were too big to get downthe back street, they then started issuing black bags, then wheely bins appeared, can't remember the exact year, but it could be over ten years.
Black bags were quite a new arrival Retlaw late 80s early 90s, I'm sure Bernard will have a better idea on dates than me, but they were introduce after I returned to Ossy in 1986
Old 27-06-2013, 08:29   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
they had virtually stopped using when I was a lad, can't remember us every using one can't remember even having one, the bin men used to come in the back yard and take ours out then leave them at the back door when empty
Well you lot musta been posh were yeh lived,They still used me nans when i was a lad, They used a metal key, which they put in centre of bin door to get it off.
Old 27-06-2013, 08:36   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well you lot musta been posh were yeh lived,They still used me nans when i was a lad, They used a metal key, which they put in centre of bin door to get it off.
I think when I was very young my dad built a new coal shed and did away with the bin hole, I know it was built out of Nori and had a concrete roof on, and its still standing today
Old 27-06-2013, 08:54   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
You can see how our garbage is collected by lefthand drive trucks. Because our houses are not terraced but detached you can wheel the bin to the front where it is then picked up in the street. Type in " Australian Garbage Trucks On Youtube". Hope it works
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 10:44   #27

I remember The Rag and Bone man and his calling out "Rag'nBone!". (Sounded like a foreign language). Also the Coal man - looked scary all covered in coal dust. I used to feed their horses sugar butties - after I ate my share of course LOL.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 17:17   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I remember The Rag and Bone man and his calling out "Rag'nBone!". (Sounded like a foreign language). Also the Coal man - looked scary all covered in coal dust. I used to feed their horses sugar butties - after I ate my share of course LOL.
I can remember the 3 day week back in the seventies, I worked on the shop floor at Shopfitters at the time and we were on 3 day 12 hour days, when I wasn't at Shopfitters I helped my mate out who had his own Coal Merchants business, he deliver more coal during the strike than he did in his normal week
Old 27-06-2013, 17:22   #29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think when I was very young my dad built a new coal shed and did away with the bin hole, I know it was built out of Nori and had a concrete roof on, and its still standing today
I would say you were an exception, mate. When I was working on the bins, '70/'71, the vast majority of terraced houses had bin 'oles. Course that was in Accy, might have been different up Ossy.
Old 27-06-2013, 17:55   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I would say you were an exception, mate. When I was working on the bins, '70/'71, the vast majority of terraced houses had bin 'oles. Course that was in Accy, might have been different up Ossy.
Told yeh he was a posh get.
Wynonie Harris likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..