Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2013, 17:57   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Bin Holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Told yeh he was a posh get.
Just because I cock my little finger when I'm having a brew
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-06-2013, 18:52   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Just because I cock my little finger when I'm having a brew
Pint pot and a cocked finger, he did this at Pilkingtons!!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 18:58   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I would say you were an exception, mate. When I was working on the bins, '70/'71, the vast majority of terraced houses had bin 'oles. Course that was in Accy, might have been different up Ossy.
So the question is, what was in the bin'oles (rubbish I know)in the early 70's, did you still use the key? Old metal bins still? Clean the rest out with a shovel? Heck of a job you had then Mr.Harris.
Old 27-06-2013, 19:05   #34

Quote:
I can remember the 3 day week back in the seventies, I worked on the shop floor at Shopfitters at the time and we were on 3 day 12 hour days, when I wasn't at Shopfitters I helped my mate out who had his own Coal Merchants business, he deliver more coal during the strike than he did in his normal week
Shared bin ole, outside toilet, coal ole. Back in the early 60's we had our coal delivered by the Salmons (sorry can't remember the 1st names) and we could only afford 3 sacks so my Mum who was at work told me to count the bags to make sure it was the right amount, yea right, 8 year old telling a big dirty coalman he has miss-counted!!!! Never happened, we did always get the right amount mind!
Old 27-06-2013, 19:58   #35
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
So the question is, what was in the bin'oles (rubbish I know)in the early 70's, did you still use the key? Old metal bins still? Clean the rest out with a shovel? Heck of a job you had then Mr.Harris.
Yep, we had a key and yep, they were metal bins. Can't remember cleaning anything else from said bin 'oles (unless it looked like it could be sold for beer money).
gdm27 likes this.
Old 28-06-2013, 08:22   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Shared bin ole, outside toilet, coal ole. Back in the early 60's we had our coal delivered by the Salmons (sorry can't remember the 1st names) and we could only afford 3 sacks so my Mum who was at work told me to count the bags to make sure it was the right amount, yea right, 8 year old telling a big dirty coalman he has miss-counted!!!! Never happened, we did always get the right amount mind!
Bill Salmon and his sons Rex and Alan, Alan started a Private Hire firm with his son a few years ago, its now one of the biggest in Hyndburn, Hyndburn Cars
Old 28-06-2013, 08:24   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Yep, we had a key and yep, they were metal bins. Can't remember cleaning anything else from said bin 'oles (unless it looked like it could be sold for beer money).
Beer money Wyn now that was scraping the er um bin hole
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 28-06-2013, 08:26   #38
God Member

Quote:
Bill Salmon and his sons Rex and Alan, Alan started a Private Hire firm with his son a few years ago, its now one of the biggest in Hyndburn, Hyndburn Cars
I knew Alan Salmon in my teen years when I 'mated out' with 4 girls from the New Lane area.

It is good to know that he has been successful in business - I always use Hyndburn Cars.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 08:41   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I knew Alan Salmon in my teen years when I 'mated out' with 4 girls from the New Lane area.

It is good to know that he has been successful in business - I always use Hyndburn Cars.
Think they're the only Hyndburn firm with local drivers never seen an Asian driving one of their cars, Think Alan and Rex were brought up on Trinity Street Margaret, Alan lives on Rhyddings street or did, ain't seen him for a few years now, he used to do part of the car ambulance transfer system, that's the last time I saw him.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..