Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 06:22   #1

Butlins Memories.........

Reminiscing about holidays the other day.......way back when I was a kid of 18.........went to Butlins Skegness with my older brother for a week.......who can forget.........Good morning campers......and the dreaded chalet patrol who seemed intent on you not having a good time....lol.....
this site below brought back some memories.....

http://www.butlinsmemories.com/
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-07-2006, 09:41   #2
God Member

Re: Butlins Memories.........

Memories of Pontins in Prestatyn for me but I'm pretty sure that Butlins and Pontins were a similar sort of experience. Used to have a fantastic time. I learnt how to Barn Dance there and I've never forgotten how to Slosh.

We went back to Prestatyn a few years ago but this time to the Haven caravan park - wasn't the best holiday I've ever had!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:37   #3
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Ahhh, Skeggy. had many a holiday at Butlins Skegness as kids. We always had a great time but the food was diabolical. Every meal time brought tears for us 3 little uns who couldn't stand the food. My dad used to shout at us to eat the food and there would be tantrums in return. Loved the little fairground and we used to go into the bar/cabaret area at night for glamorous granny comps, knobbly knees comps and various shows that the Red Coats used to put on. The outdoor swimming pool was always freezing and there was a roller skating rink. We loved going to Butlins as kids.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:58   #4
white rabbits

We used to take the kids twice a year to Butlins,,we would go in May,, then if you booked another week ,you got a good discount,so we went again in September, both weeks cost less than one week at Burnley Wakes..
We have some wonderful memories of Skeggi,Pwehelli cant spell it now )Ayr,and Minehead'''

Last edited by grannyclaret; 09-07-2006 at 12:01.
grannyclaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:32   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

used to go regular when the kids were young once at minehead took my son to the pool- they had these new chutes 3 differant colours yellow red (think) and black. for differant degrees of severity, my idea was go on the yellow first(was the easiest) but when we got to the top all the kids were going on the other two,nobody on the softies one. so rather than show myself up i chose the black(most severe) went hurtling down on the mat - hit the water my KNASHERS flew out- gob full of water, blinded, and nearly drowned, the attendants had to stop all the kids coming down while i grappled blindly for my knashers,never been as embarrased, in my life, the kids and me missus cracked up big time. BUTLINS no comment.
Old 09-07-2006, 19:36   #6

PMSL...............
Old 10-07-2006, 18:42   #7

I want to know .....if anybody here entered the "glamourous grandmother" competition,the "knobbly knees",competition...or the Butlins "princess' competition.........
Old 13-07-2006, 07:56   #8

Did a stint, (Two months ) at Pwehelli, circa 1965, working in the Kitchens ( Gloscester ) I think it was, I was 16, they sent us from catering college, work experience they would call it these days, the food was atrocious, for some unknown reason the girls in the kitchen got around with no knickers on, I shared a chalet with four other blokes, the toilet was way down the other end so they all peed in the sink, ( well when in Rome ). Mind you I found out why they did'nt have any pants on, they were like rabbits, you could'nt go anywhere, store rooms, corners, veg prep room staff room, for a 16 year old in those days was a real eye opener, just as well there was no aids around in those days. now that Ive started this , all the memories are flooding back.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 10:15   #9
white rabbits

I Never Entered Any Comps But The Kids Did,,,Damian Won The Bisto Kid, One Year And Wayne Won Tarzan...
Me And My Hubby Joined A Guests Commitee, And We Judged Some Comps...last Day We Had A Party,so We Kept Doing It,,
Old 13-07-2006, 23:03   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
I Never Entered Any Comps But The Kids Did,,,Damian Won The Bisto Kid, One Year And Wayne Won Tarzan...
Me And My Hubby Joined A Guests Commitee, And We Judged Some Comps...last Day We Had A Party,so We Kept Doing It,,
my lad won the tarzan as well but the judges were pi##ed. lol
Old 13-07-2006, 23:37   #11
God Member

Never went to Butlins or Pontins we always went to Ireland for 2 weeks visiting the relatives. First time I went to Butlins was when I did the YTS we went away for the week in February/March before it opened and spent a week doing abseiling, orienteering etc. That's been my experience of them. The chalets were horrible what we were in.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006, 23:43   #12

Seem to remember Rory Storm playing in the pig & whistle, had a great two months there, but for a 16 year old trying to keep up with the older guys pint for pint, trying to play the man, was a bit of a strain.
Old 14-07-2006, 23:48   #13

PS, Ringo could'nt have been in the huricanes, at that time because, A Hard Days Night was showing at the local Cinema in Pwehelli.
Old 16-07-2006, 20:41   #14
Super Moderator

Nevertheless, Rory Storm & the Hurricanes were a cracking band. Their first single Dr Feel Good/I Can Tell was a raw, no-holds-barred slice of prime R&R/R&B. Their second single America (the West Side story song) was the only record ever produced by Brian Epstein but, in my opinion, wasn't a patch on the first one.

Sorry for the thread wander...
Old 11-08-2006, 14:25   #15
Senior Member+

we took our son to phwelli the year that they were changing to haven,we went half board,entertainment was as good as a remember as a child,but the prices now you could get a holiday abroad with the same entertainment
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..