Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2003, 09:15   #1
Accy Goddess

Post CHILDHOOD GAMES/TOYS

What Childhood Games Did You Play?
What Were The Toys You Played With Or Wanted And Never Got?
I wanted a doll called Chatty Cathy. I begged pleaded cried all to no avail.  
Every year I asked Father Christmas for a Teddy but never got one.              
Got my first one after we got married. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2003, 09:23   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Post Re: CHILDHOOD GAMES/TOYS

I always wanted the game Mousetrap but got monopoly instead because my dad thought it would be better for all of us to play with. I remember my friend getting a game called Scruples when we were about 10, and finding out that none of us had any!!! ;D

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 12:52   #3
Jo

Always wanted but never got a Girl's World.
Had a walky talky doll called Susan but never had any batteries.
Had Sindy and a Sindy horse and caravan. My brother had action man and Tonto.
What I really loved doing most as a kid was reading: Enid Blyton (Famous five, secret seven, Malory Towers, Saint Clare's), Noel Stretford (Ballet shoes) and later Judy Blume boks.
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 14:16   #4
Accy Goddess

I to had a sindy, wanted my sisters Tressy doll her hair grew. Not has much as I wanted that Chatty Cathy though.
I also could always be found with my nose in a book. Famous 5 my favorite. Read them to my children and looking foward to reading them to my Grandchildren. Bunty and Jackie were my fave comics.
Old 05-09-2003, 14:21   #5

I had My little Ponies and Barbie with all the clobber to go with her i had an alacart kitchen aswell (remember the advert where the little girl wakes her dad up pulling his toe saying "wake up daddy breakfasts ready&quot
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 14:37   #6
I am Banned

For the comic part I used to get the Eagle and the Beano. The former was a bit educational and my parents choice but had good bits in. The Beano was the real thing.

My sister used to get Jackie and as I approached puberty I learnt a lot from that  She also Got Bunty I think.. was that the one with the cut out doll and clothes on the back page every week
HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 14:48   #7
Caz
God Member

Never had a Sindy or Tressy, never interested in those things. Preferred the boys toys. My brother had a "Johnny Seven" gun, with all sorts of different things on it which I thought was brill.

Also had a cow girl outfit and a trainset.

Remember the cut out wardrobe things too, on Bunty, back in the days when they thought girls shouldn't be interested in anything else.

Used to get Girl comic, and later Jackie, Fab 208, NME, Melody Maker & Mirabelle magazines.

But remember taking sneaky peeks at the Titbits magazine when I was little. It seem so naughty then. Pretty mild compared to nowadays.  

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 16:01   #8
Resting in Peace

used to get eagle, beano, and look and learn
used to look but never learned much
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 18:29   #9
Accy Goddess

Dont forget the Dandy. Dont remember this look and learn.  ???
Old 06-09-2003, 21:31   #10
Senior Member+

For comics i had the Action which was finally banned.Toys i never had we were poor  :-[
Old 07-09-2003, 10:24   #11
Senior Member+

I used to love playing with a top and whip, chalking fancy patterns on the top. I am quite sure i must be older than 50 it sounds more like something they would do in the good old days.I have the mind of an 18 year and the body of a 50 year old. something went wrong somewere
Old 07-09-2003, 17:14   #12
Caz
God Member

[quote author=janet link=board=nostalgia;num=1062753332;start=0#10 date=09/07/03 at 11:24:28] I am quite sure i must be older than 50 it sounds more like something they would do in the good old days.I have the mind of an 18 year and the body of a 50 year old. something went wrong somewere[/quote]

Spot on Janet! I look in the mirror and I swear it's an imposter!
;D  ;D  ;D

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 18:34   #13
Resting in Peace

I still have my cuddly dog he is very batterd no eyes not much fur but still with me
must be about 47 now
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 19:21   #14
Accy Goddess

A mangy old thing it is thread bare with all the straw comeing out. I have tried to bin it loads of times. But he loves it. Ah..... :
Old 07-09-2003, 19:38   #15
Senior Member+

cazzer, i'm glad i'm not on my own then. [smiley=wave.gif]

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..