Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2004, 16:42   #1
Member.

You go away for 30 years and they devastate the place.

Hi Just a quick one,

I came home today, just to have a look around and see how things have changed. I was gutted to see how Church, my birth place has changed over the years, some would call it progress I suppose, but for me it was devastating to see how things had changed since leaving. My school, where I had my first Kiss, Hard Falls, tears and laughter has gone almost completely, apart from about 18 ins of broken wall that still seams to contain the site.

Even the Church yard hasn’t escaped the destruction. Many of the Monuments, Table Tombs and railed graves that we played on (and in) in some cases seam to have gone, but I did remember what was left.

Apart from the Stag and Burnley Rd cemetery, I didn’t go far. I wasn’t sure what I’d find…But I going to come over mid week to finish off what I started.

So who’s buying lunch…?
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-06-2004, 18:19   #2
mez
God Member

Re: You go away for 30 years and they devastate the place.

hey i was in the stag with less this avo pity we didnt know we could have had a meet ooo wot you like eh//
Old 27-06-2004, 18:27   #3
Resident Waffler

It hasn't improved for the better in all cases has it Doug? I used to work in Church and at dinnertime we bought butties from a shop on Blackburn Rd. I can't remember the name now but they did lovely butties and pies. There was a papershop on the corner of Market St where we'd get bottles of pop.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2004, 18:31   #4
Member.

Blue shirt and tie, grey hair and specs. I used the Stag as a staging point. I was in there at 2 p.m. for about half hour and then a 3 p.m. for a quick dink and a pee before heading back....Sorry to have missed you...
Old 27-06-2004, 18:33   #5
mez
God Member

light coloured trousers?
Old 27-06-2004, 18:36   #6
Member.

I found it hard to recognise Willow. The approach to church and Church St, so different. I've just been telling Joyce (partner) how strange it was to be back. I am glad I did it, but I'm sorry for what I saw.

That said, the people are still polite and the kids looked clean and tidy. More than we did back then.
Old 27-06-2004, 18:38   #7
Member.

Hi Mez,

Navy Blue trousers. I stood at the bar a side of the door.
Old 27-06-2004, 18:45   #8
mez
God Member

nope must of missed you we did go in the bridge first , but if your panning another day like that let us know, one or two of us would be pleased to meet you, shame that ////
Old 27-06-2004, 18:53   #9
Member.

Hi, I would have loved to have met some of you. I'm coming back mid week to go up Burnley cemetery. I'll post when...
Old 28-06-2004, 08:02   #10

Talking of changes (original subject of the thread) whose idea was it to rename "The Tanpits"? Pubs are going in for novelty names and one of the classic ones in Accrington has suddenly become a boring run of the mill "Plough"

Mental note to self to visit the Stag when next in the area. Don't let then rename that. It could almost be a Hyndburn icon (stag - hynd)
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004, 08:19   #11
Resident Waffler

I think The Tanpits became The Plough after it was refurbished. It is a shame it was changed because it's on Tanpits Road and I presume it was named after tan pits?

Atarah, do you know the history?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004, 10:20   #12

It was the Tanpits pub when I woz a kid in 1947, and played on the "injun Bed" (Engine bed) on the Tanpits. I'm relatively sure that it was there in the 20's and 30's as well. Probably been there since Tanpits Road was built.
I can vaguely remember the tanpits themselves, and once was taken there by my dad to watch a Smith shoe horses. It use to stink to hell (I can still taste it on a dry day).

Mez lived near to the pub, she may know a thing or two. And Tealeaf is the recorder of all things Churchy, I'm sure he can add something.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004, 10:33   #13
Member.

Nice memories Darby....All good stuff. I am sure that Mr Tealeaf, who is a very nice chap, will respond accordingly.

When you do Tea, can you explain to why St James’s “a place that I have special memories of” has been allowed to fall in to such a state? Mesh at the windows, window gone or boarded up and litter in the yard.

Where the pride…..This place is is pure heritage.

Do they publish the "old Photo" books around accy?.
Old 28-06-2004, 11:01   #14
Senior Member+

Doug, you can buy books on old accy at the library.They are on a stand near the counter.
Old 28-06-2004, 12:02   #15

Doug,

I have 7 or 8 OLD ACCY /OSSY/ books, that I bought in WH Smiths, and I buy a new one every time I come over. They are currently at my home in Bohemia, and I'll be going down there this Wednesday, so I'll bring them back and give you a list and a short brief of each content.
The proof of the pudding is to look at them yourself, but I find soemthing interesting every time I look at them. Memories...memories.

I was a Church lad 'misell. Lived in Oswald St, Henry St, went to Ernest St Baptist's and St. James (Church Kirk) before moving to far off India St (Antley), and to St. Andrews. I have a piccy of the school class at St. Andrews but I can't load it to the site as it's greater than 100KB.

Spent most of my growing-up on Nelson Square!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..