Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2006, 12:36   #1
Resting in peace

Clayton Laundry remembered.

:engsmil: My Father worked at Clayton Laundry in the seventies, his nickname
was Mack, he was the motor engineer in charge of maintaining the vans etc, anyone remember him, or worked at the laundry, at that time we lived in Pickup St. It was a great job and good place to work at, we were
the best dressed family in town.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-09-2006, 12:46   #2
God Member

Re: Clayton Laundry remembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W.
was Mack, he was the motor engineer in charge of maintaining the vans etc, anyone remember him, or worked at the laundry, at that time we lived in Pickup St. It was a great job and good place to work at, we were
So that is where my suits and shirts ended up.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 12:56   #3
Resident Waffler

I worked at the TSB in Clayton and your Dad was probably one of our customers. I think Clayton Laundry had a holiday savings club with us.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 20:35   #4
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I worked at the TSB in Clayton and your Dad was probably one of our customers. I think Clayton Laundry had a holiday savings club with us.
My father robbed that bank along
with many others, not with violence I mighn't add, he was a gentleman.
Old 18-09-2006, 21:54   #5
Resident Waffler

If I recall the way the bank used to bung charges on willy-nilly I rather think the boot was on t'other foot.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 22:08   #6
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
If I recall the way the bank used to bung charges on willy-nilly I rather think the boot was on t'other foot.
Now I know you knew my father Willow(if you dont mind me using your name) Jesus would not have given him an account.
Old 19-09-2006, 13:27   #7
God Member

My mum worked at Clayton laundry for a while, sometime in the eighties I think. Still remember the night it burned down - half of Clayton were out, some in their jim-jams watching, a lot in tears.

Last edited by AccyMad; 19-09-2006 at 13:30.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 20:02   #8
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad
My mum worked at Clayton laundry for a while, sometime in the eighties I think. Still remember the night it burned down - half of Clayton were out, some in their jim-jams watching, a lot in tears.
Do you know AccMad, hey that's a good angle, I never received a penny
for entertaining Clayton that night, not that i'm a pyromaniac. my mate Sid beat me to it.
Old 09-06-2009, 18:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
I remember a 'Mal' as motor engineer at Clayton Laundry in the seventies. Following an injury he left to work as a motor insurance assessor. Van maintenance was contracted out after that.
Old 09-06-2009, 18:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Several staff at the Laundry had worked there since leaving school. When it burned down many people were genuinely devastated. It had been a good place to work (apart from the lousy pay and hard graft). There was always an incredible happy family atmosphere - it was sadly missed.
Old 09-06-2009, 18:50   #11
Resting in Peace

I watched it burn down too ... the Trelfalls eventually finished up at Tower Laundry, Blackburn but gossip is that it has just closed recently too. Shame, was a good little laundry, and I thought doing quite well. Lovely family.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 20:45   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulManic View Post
I remember a 'Mal' as motor engineer at Clayton Laundry in the seventies. Following an injury he left to work as a motor insurance assessor. Van maintenance was contracted out after that.
Mal was indeed iantos dad
Old 09-06-2009, 20:52   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I watched it burn down too ... the Trelfalls eventually finished up at Tower Laundry, Blackburn but gossip is that it has just closed recently too. Shame, was a good little laundry, and I thought doing quite well. Lovely family.
that would be the same Trelfalls i used to rent a hoss n cart off fer 10 bob a day i presume?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:39   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
that would be the same Trelfalls i used to rent a hoss n cart off fer 10 bob a day i presume?
10 bob a day Cashy ! ... gosh, that was quite a bit then .. ya' must have had a good enterprise going on.

Actually, was the Joinsons who owned the laundry then wasn't it ? ... not quite sure what the split was in ownership.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:02   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
10 bob a day Cashy ! ... gosh, that was quite a bit then .. ya' must have had a good enterprise going on.

Actually, was the Joinsons who owned the laundry then wasn't it ? ... not quite sure what the split was in ownership.
Hope it was a better hoss and cart than your smiley kate

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..