Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2007, 23:31   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Dead Sick.

was wallowing in nostalgia on the music thread n reminded me of a story. i was saving up in 62 to buy my first motor bike (triumph terrier) so i sold me dansette record player n a box of me records to the second hand shop on Burnley Rd. many years later was on holiday with me family in blackpool n bought a Record Collecter Magazine to read after the evening meal,one evening was reading an article on the value of old records and was Gobsmacked to read that one of my old 45s in Mint Condition was valued at £750,n realised this record was in that box. have never been as sick in my life. anyone else done summat as dumb? Hindsight is a wonderful thing. P.S.the second hand shop gave me a £5 for everything.
Old 30-01-2007, 23:40   #2
God Member

Re: Dead Sick.

i don't think it would be worth £45... but I bought an ep.. david jones (bowie) for 5p at a junk shop in ossy around 1973.. of course lost at a party or slung in the bin..I did buy some jimi hendrix boot leg albums late 60's stuff for a couple of pints and lost them.. maybe they will turn up somewere
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 08:02   #3
Resident Waffler

I lent 90% of my vynil to someone and never got them back.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 10:53   #4
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

vinyls!!, my god my mother has loads of elvis one and 50's and 60's, wonder if they are worth anything??
I still have mine from the 80's...but I doubt they are worth out!
Old 31-01-2007, 11:04   #5
God Member

I still have my stash of vinyls too, haven't the heart to get rid of them but probably not worth anything anyway apart from maybe the soundtrack from a film called 'Lemon Popsicle' which is made from yellow vinyl
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 11:12   #6
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

aye...there nowt better than the sound of a crackling vinyl..... and jumping of the needle!!...lol
Old 31-01-2007, 11:17   #7
Resident Waffler

How come I suddenly can't spell vinyl?

I remember once chatting to a young lad at work about 60s music and telling him he had no idea what it really sounded like because he'd never listened to it on an old crackly tranny!

Old 31-01-2007, 11:58   #8
God Member

isn't it embarrasing when your child comes up to you whilst rooting through your stuff and asks 'mum what are those round black things that look like frisbies?'
Old 31-01-2007, 12:03   #9
God Member

mtheads still got loads of 80's vinyls and picture discs ...... might see how much I can flog 'em for without him knowing
Old 31-01-2007, 12:29   #10
Resident Waffler

My kids were brought up listening to those black frisbees

It's surprising what I catch them singing to themselves.

Old 31-01-2007, 12:59   #11
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

mine ended up wonky because i left them near the radiator , also made fruit bowl out of one too!!
Old 31-01-2007, 16:33   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
I still have my stash of vinyls too, haven't the heart to get rid of them but probably not worth anything anyway apart from maybe the soundtrack from a film called 'Lemon Popsicle' which is made from yellow vinyl
most records are not worth much especially those that were big sellers, obscure stuff n early stuff relating to people who become big stars later,thats summat else.
Old 31-01-2007, 16:54   #13
Yank in King Art's Court!

My dad, who is in his 80s now, gave away all his mint condition baseball cards and his "Big and Little Books" (not sure what they were but worth alot now). These all would have been items from the 1930s and I guess he gave em away as he grew from childhood.

Thankfully he's still got his 1930ish Lionel Train set which has all the cars and still runs well. That's despite me and my siblings playing with it alot!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 20:33   #14
Super Moderator

One day in 1966, I was mooching around in Bandbox (a long-gone record shop opposite the market hall) when I came across a box of singles marked down to 1/6 from their usual price of 6/8. One that caught my eye was called Liza Jane by Davie Jones & the King Bees. Decided to take a gamble and bought it unheard. Got it home, bunged it on the Dansette, dismissed it as garbage and promptly chucked it. It now turns out that it was Bowie's first ever record and it's worth £1,000 in mint condition. Doh!

What was your lost gem, Mr C?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:26   #15

My brother Kevin, has still got Johnny B Goode, ( LONDON, AMERICAN ) Only make believe, Conway Twittie, ( MGM ), Hound Dog b/w Blue Suede Shose, His Masters Voice. All on 78s. in his Cot loft. Also a 78, about Manchester United, and the Busby Babes. I think he might have Johonny Duncan, footprints in the snow and Diana. Paul Anka, both on Columbia, A green label. He wont let go of them.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..