Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2007, 20:35   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

the rag and bone man?

remember him?
always remember has a kid him coming up the back alley shouting "ANY RAG BONE?" and getting horse shi...oops ...Poo on the back!
you rarely see horse and cart anymore!
Old 01-02-2007, 20:41   #2
Beacon of light

Re: the rag and bone man?

Yes, I remember the Rag and bone chap...we used to get donkey stones as a swap for any rags...although we didn't have much in the way of rags...what wasn't used for cleaning the floors was used to make 'peg rugs'...for bedrooms and hallways.
The milk chap also used to come round with his horse and cart....and the milk was in churns on the back. We used to go out with a posh jug and a lace cover for the top...the lace cover was to stop smuts of soot getting into the milk until you got back indoors.
Birtwells Ice cream also used to come round with a horse and cart......my but we had wonderful roses ......and rhubarb!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 20:47   #3
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: the rag and bone man?

You mean my tailor?
Old 01-02-2007, 23:01   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

you could hire a rag n bone cart fron trelfalls down clayton 50p a day they were very handy for copper back boilers from the old Demolished Milnshaw Estate. or so they tell me. Happy Days PMSL.
Old 01-02-2007, 23:23   #5
God Member

Margeret pilkington
what wasn't used for cleaning the floors was used to make 'peg rugs'...for bedrooms and hallways.

I remember my mum making one of those out of old coats and stuff..heehee she had it for years in the spare room at side of the bed ....geeeesh happy memories ...you can still buy peggers today i think lol!!!
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:53   #6
God Member

ah i mentioned this a few weeks back, i was only very young when he used to come round my grans street, but i remember him
Old 02-02-2007, 20:25   #7

One of the rag and bone men who used to frequent our street used to give out goldfish for rags. We were that poor, one goldfish used to feed all 5 of us. We were poor but we were happy, we were happy because we were poor!
cjrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 20:29   #8
Beacon of light

We were so poor tht we couldn't AFFORD the water for a goldfish.......
we were so poor that the rag and bone man gave us a TIN fish...bring back vaudeville...the old ones are the best!
Old 02-02-2007, 20:30   #9
Senior Member+

I remember him back in't 60's,70's.Were it not those decades form of re-cycling
Old 02-02-2007, 20:31   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrk View Post
One of the rag and bone men who used to frequent our street used to give out goldfish for rags. We were that poor, one goldfish used to feed all 5 of us. We were poor but we were happy, we were happy because we were poor!
Hey.. you could have been our landlord.. we were the family of 12 living in your cellar!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 20:33   #11

TIN? You were lucky; when I said goldfish, what I really meant was one of those gold coloured 'fish' that used to curl up in your hand. Kids of today don't know they're born.
Old 02-02-2007, 20:34   #12

We were that poor, the only pets we could afford were head lice.
Old 02-02-2007, 20:38   #13
Beacon of light

Yes I remember my Gran saving paper and string for the 'salvo'....I was never quite sure what 'salvo' was. Later on I learned it was 'Salvage'.
Nothing ever went to waste.....food was recycled......cooked veggies were fried up with a bit of bacon fat.....there was always a crock of stock in the kitchen. I am amazed that we weren't poisoned because it looked very grim and scummy sometimes,but it made wonderful broth....that and a few lovely dumplings made a good meal. No 'sell by dates' then.

My gran cut dresses down and made overalls from them...when the overalls became worn they were made into pinnies...and from there they went for floor cleaning or polishing cloths. newspaper was used to clean the windows........cut up into squares for lavvie paper.....made into twists to light the fire.
Old 02-02-2007, 20:39   #14
Beacon of light

We couldn't even afford to feed head lice......we used to steal the cheese from the mousetrap! Why should the rodents have a better dinner than us kids?
Old 02-02-2007, 20:44   #15
God Member

Ah the good old days... it were an hours walk t'mill.. worked a 22 hours shift then another hours walk home... and for supper we got a good hiding from our Dad
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..