Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-12-2005, 14:29   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Do You Like Nuts??

I was reminded in a conversation about the time when I was eight or nine, my mother was working as a 'home help', no doubt the name has changed since then but basically the idea was that she had a group of elderly neighbours that she would do some cleaning and therefore check each day they were still with us.
One of the ladies she looked after was a real dear, always grateful that mum had called, about a month before Christmas out of the blue she asked my mum, "do you like nuts?", My mother replied that all of us enjoyed nuts especially over the christmas period, "Good I've a bag of almonds there you can take it home and you can all enjoy them".
She gave my mother a polythene bag full of shelled almonds, that night the whole family enjoyed the gift.
My Dad mentioned how strange it was to get such succulent nut's he had never seen them without shells and asked my mother to find out where the lady got them from.
My mother was at her house the following day, after doing a few jobs she asked the lady for the address of the shop so we could get some more.
"Oh," she replied, "They don't come from a shop, my son brings me Sugared Almonds every week when he visits, but with my teeth I can only suck the sugar off these days but I keep the almonds and give them to someone that can still bite".............
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-12-2005, 14:45   #2
Member.

Re: Do You Like Nuts??

Now that’s the sort of Christmas story that lightens my day, I feel so much better after reading that….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2005, 14:49   #3
Give, give, give member

That story is older than you Uncle Less, though I heard it was chocolate coved Brazil nuts.

Nuts in shells are a bit like sex, the anticipation is often better than the final act, and hardly worth getting your crackers out for.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2005, 14:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
That story is older than you Uncle Less, though I heard it was chocolate coved Brazil nuts.
Gosh Rindy, You've given the game away, o.k. I'll 'fess up, in the original version the 'home help' was a young Gay, and of course he would like nuts!

But, why ruin a good story by telling the truth lets elaborate just a little!!!!

Old 20-12-2005, 14:56   #5
Give, give, give member

Sorry for blowin' your cover, though I won't be blowin' your nuts.

Old 20-12-2005, 14:58   #6
Member.

Quote:
Sorry for blowin' your cover, though I won't be blowin' your nuts.
Why not? it's Christmas..............

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 20-12-2005, 15:00   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Why not? it's Christmas..............
It only happens when I stay over on his birthday, and my nut crackers are still at the repairers from last year, ready for next Spring.

Old 20-12-2005, 15:04   #8
Member.

Talking of nut’s, present company accepted. As anyone seen any Brazil Nuts on sale recently?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 20-12-2005, 15:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Talking of nut’s, present company accepted. As anyone seen any Brazil Nuts on sale recently?
Warning,
Warning,
Possible thread diversion indicated!!
Old 20-12-2005, 17:36   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Nuts in shells are a bit like sex, the anticipation is often better than the final act, and hardly worth getting your crackers out for.
Maybe thats because you're a sh*t sh*g
Old 20-12-2005, 17:37   #11

When I was a young boy my mother used to always stop by Woolworth's, in downtown Burnley, when she did the Saturday morning shopping to get my father fresh salted peanuts which he dearly loved.

They were packaged in cellophane bags which always seemed to split at the seams during transport on the Corporation bus.

My father used to pick the spilled nuts from the bottom of the shopping basket and he would always say: "Someday they are going to make plastic bags that won't split so easily".

I wish he was alive now (he died in 1963) so that he could experience plastic packaging that even Hercules would have difficulty tearing open!
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..