Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2006, 12:07   #1
Resting in Peace

Doorstep Milk

After recent freezing nights, just wondered why the milk on your doorstep doesn't get the lovely icy bits any more and the one inch bit of frozen milk that forces its way out of the top .. do they add an ingredient these days to stop this? Always thought this was fun when I was little, particularly if you were school monitor and had to bring the crate in from the outside.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-02-2006, 16:47   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Doorstep Milk

They probably put a bit of anti-freeze in it these days........well, they add all sorts of other rubbish to our foods. Doorstep milk always tasted so creamy, I loved the inch or so of cream on the top of it. Supermarket milk doesn't come close..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 17:10   #3
God Member

When I got our milk delivered up to last year it used to freeze. Nowt better than a pint of milk so cold its got bits in it. Preferably sterilsed(Cheshire mld as we called it).

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 19:50   #4
white rabbits

i remember if you diddent bring the milk in early,the birds beat you to it,,, clever little things
Old 26-02-2006, 19:58   #5
Accy Goddess

My Nanna always used to get seri milk. It was horrible but was the only milk that would make frothy coffee.
Used to stand for ages with finger stuck in the neck of the bottle when it was almost empty and shake till my arm was dropping off and milk had gone frothy.
Remember the ordinary milk freezing and popping the top off.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 20:03   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
i remember if you diddent bring the milk in early,the birds beat you to it,,, clever little things
Still do with me G-C .. pecks through silver foil, bit a dirt in cream top .. better take care though now, eh ? Bird flu ? Nah, don't even think about it.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:02   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
or the paper boy
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:20   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNE
My Nanna always used to get seri milk. It was horrible but was the only milk that would make frothy coffee.
Used to stand for ages with finger stuck in the neck of the bottle when it was almost empty and shake till my arm was dropping off and milk had gone frothy.
Remember the ordinary milk freezing and popping the top off.
i remember great aunty dorothy's milk always freezing! strange the things you remember.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:29   #9

Steri for coffee, Pasteurised for Tea that's the way it should be :engsmil:
Old 02-03-2006, 12:25   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
or the paper boy
lol! Or the paper girl

I remember being told a story by my mum, that if you stole milk from the doorstep the police could lock you away for it, that it was a very serious crime. The police viewed it as taking food from the mouth of babies even if there wasn't a child in the house.

Anyone know if I can officially have her sectioned or was she correct?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:35   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher
Steri for coffee, Pasteurised for Tea that's the way it should be :engsmil:
Agree with that basher but unless I cart it back after a visit I cannot get steri milk. :

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 12:37   #12
God Member

If ice is the issue just get a cow to moo and deliver as required. Cant get fresher than that now can you.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 02-03-2006, 13:14   #13
Resting in peace

I think it's because it's all homogenized that it doesn't freeze, but that cream tasted lovely.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:19   #14
Resting in Peace

Don't BELIEVE this .. is my milkman on this sight and winding me up !?! After at least 40 years, there was my two pints sat on the doorstep, frozen cream emerging 1cm above neck with it's little silver cap balancing on the top. Grabbed them excitedly with screams of delight !! Yes !! what fun !!! squashed it down with t'other end of teaspoon, but still the blobs of ice dropped into my coffee.

Next poured on cereal and more blobs of ice ... 'twas absolutely wonderful, sure it tasted better. Please don't tell me I am sad when such a small thing can give me soooo much pleasure.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:15   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Don't BELIEVE this .. is my milkman on this sight and winding me up !?! After at least 40 years, there was my two pints sat on the doorstep, frozen cream emerging 1cm above neck with it's little silver cap balancing on the top. Grabbed them excitedly with screams of delight !! Yes !! what fun !!! squashed it down with t'other end of teaspoon, but still the blobs of ice dropped into my coffee.

Next poured on cereal and more blobs of ice ... 'twas absolutely wonderful, sure it tasted better. Please don't tell me I am sad when such a small thing can give me soooo much pleasure.
Whatever tickles you katex.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..