Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2006, 22:04   #1
Resting in Peace

Parlour Games

Gotta' give Maxwell Silver credit for this for his comment in Jambutty's thread on remote controls, reminded me of the parlour games we played at parties ...

Rather cr*ppy I know, but always made me giggle when I was younger.

Used to have the one where they sent someone out of the room to come back blindfolded and asked you what was the last thing you did before getting into bed .. course nobody thought of the correct answer (or didn't dare say). Then the 'interviewer' would say "Did you not do this". Someone was stood behind the victim with a kettle full of water and a pan pouring it from a great height and was meant to emulate you having a pee. Used to roll about the floor with their reactions.

Then the one, (forgot the dialogue now) but the victim was persuaded to put a rolled piece of cardboard up to their eye with soot from the fire spread around the edge .. like a telescope ... and they finished up with this black circle around their eye. Ah well, was fun.

katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-10-2006, 07:15   #2
God Member

Re: Parlour Games

Thank God for computers!!!!!!!!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 20:34   #3
Beacon of light

I think that in the days that Katex is talking about there weren't any....you had to make up your own entertainment....or listen to Dick Barton on the steam wireless! Sorry Katex.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 21:04   #4
God Member

We always had a packet of cards in the house and when we had a party the cards came out. Going for the pot, queenie, pontoon, the fun we had especially with the going for the pot. My sis & her now ex-hubby used to have a tin full of change and they always brought it with them. Mum used to always win when we played queenie and then going for the pot she'd lose it!
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 23:14   #5
Resident Waffler

I can never remember how to play card games. I have to learn them all over again every time. I do love laying charades though. As a family we do something fun like this every week.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006, 00:01   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Thank God for computers!!!!!!!!

my thoughts entwi.pmsl
Old 14-10-2006, 11:33   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
my thoughts entwi.pmsl
Ok so you two funny.

Laughed meself when I read it again, but just wanted to show how amused we were by silly simple humour.

Glad I got my computer too now, have a laugh everyday from the posts on here Some extremely raunchy which you would never have dared utter years ago. 'Evolution of wit' I suppose.
Old 15-10-2006, 23:20   #8
Accy Goddess

Me and Mick used to play alot of card games and scrabble but that was pre computer day's of course.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2006, 21:48   #9
God Member

Another one ive played is Spin the bottle & Truth or Dare - the last time i played this was 2.30am in February of this year! That was our pool team ended up in my house after the pub shut. I got the pictures to prove it - great bribery ones especially as mainly we were a womens team with 2 male members. I cant put them on here - first of all i'd be killed by the male members of my team and secondly its a family forum.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:41   #10
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh
Another one ive played is Spin the bottle & Truth or Dare - the last time i played this was 2.30am in February of this year! That was our pool team ended up in my house after the pub shut. I got the pictures to prove it - great bribery ones especially as mainly we were a womens team with 2 male members. I cant put them on here - first of all i'd be killed by the male members of my team and secondly its a family forum.
I wish that was back in fashion in our day you couldn't get them to take much more than sock's off.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 22:05   #11
Passed away 25-11-09

We used to have hours of fun playing Consequences when I was a child. That's the one where you write a story but after each heading you fold the paper over and pass it on to the next person who continues with his/her own story, you read them out at the end. We also played Monopoly, with games that could last for several days. I honestly think it was more enjoyable than today's computer games as these were things that occupied the whole family, not just one person staring at a screen.
Old 06-11-2006, 16:13   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W.
I wish that was back in fashion in our day you couldn't get them to take much more than sock's off.
The male members of the pool team lost a lot more than their socks i can tell you that!
Old 06-11-2006, 18:19   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh
The male members of the pool team lost a lot more than their socks i can tell you that!
SHILLELAGh !! This was meant to be a nostalgic thread reminiscing about simple 'family' party games, not pool players losing their underpants ...

Can't see us ever doing that 50 years ago ... go and stand at the back of the class.

Next time you playing, give me a ring.
Old 06-11-2006, 18:33   #14
Resident Waffler

The girls, a friend, and I have just been playing Cluedo, with a brief interruption whilst one of them powdered her nose and I answered a PM! Busman is not yet home from work and missed all the fun.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 15:10   #15
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Parlour Games

Computers are great but so were the evenings by the fire playing cards or Monopoly or simple Snakes and Ladders. What about the Beetle Game? All you needed was a die (dice is plural of die) a pen or pencil and a piece of paper for each player.

I taught three fellow workers at Dynamo to play Canasta and we played during the 40 minutes dinner break.

Several years ago, in an attempt to preserve some of the lesser know card games, I wrote a book entitled “Playing Cards And Games For Fun. A Lost Art?” Not for publication (not that anyone would want to publish it) but to post on my web site. Although I did print out and bind into a paperback, a handful of copies.

If the energy crisis becomes a reality how many people would know what to do to while away their hours before bedtime?

Spinning the bottle or Truth, Dare or Force were reserved for playing outside by us kids away from parents prying eyes.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..