Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-12-2007, 19:30   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Dowry Street Picture Palace??

read in a book today (xmas pressy) that the Dowry street Picture palace opened in 1910 n was reputed to be the 1st permanent cinema in accy, it says nothing else about this. i was brought up there n never knew a cinema was ever on Dowry street, i am assuming it was at the bottom(Whalley Road) end, but that is just my guess. as anyone any info on this mystery or even a picture of the place? maybe Bob Dobson or Atarah could help me,they seem to be the favourites in my book.
Old 25-12-2007, 19:37   #2
God Member

Re: Dowry Street Picture Palace??

Just found this cashy, looks like it closed in 1916, then was a works and then demolished. You have to scroll down a ways to find the info. http://merciacinema.org/gaz%20A-C.htm
Old 25-12-2007, 22:18   #3
Senior Member+

Dowry Street Picture Palace

Hi, yep, it certainly did exist. Classed as the first picture house in Accrington. Well before our time of course, but ....
Have some details somewhere. will hunt them out for you

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2007, 22:25   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
Just found this cashy, looks like it closed in 1916, then was a works and then demolished. You have to scroll down a ways to find the info. Gallery
cheers derek,a bit more info, we moved on dowry st early 50s, n never saw a sign of it, now i know why, would still bet it was down the bottom end. ta also Atarah would be great if ya could dig summat out. am well intrigued.
Old 25-12-2007, 22:47   #5
Senior Member+

Dowry Street Picture Palace

c1860 there was a works owned by Pilkingtons known as Dowry Works. They moved to Bamber Bridge around 1865. Various uses of the building, then around 1909 the Dowry Cinema used it until around 1916. Conveyor and Elevator also used the premises (they are now in Grange lane)

The Dowry Picture Palace occupied these premises which were at the corner of Moore Street and Dowry Street.

The Kings Hall Cinema, built c1920, which stood where the old Lloyds Bank used to be (set back on Whalley Road, next to the side of the music shop which burnt down and is almost ready to re-open) reputedly took all the custom from The Dowry when it closed around 1919.

Cant find anymore on it, sorry.

Atarah
Old 25-12-2007, 23:18   #6
Senior Member+

Sharing my info with you - Dowry Street Picture Palace??

Hope this works. Have this old plan of the Dowry. Hope you can read it ok.

Atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dowry.jpg (494.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 25-12-2007, 23:18   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

thanks Atarah i'm a bit wiser now, it was were i suspected i think, remember vaguely disused building of conveyer n elevator company, sure that was corner of Moore n Dowry.
Old 25-12-2007, 23:20   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

lol we posted at same time, ta for the plan its fascinating for me.
Old 25-12-2007, 23:59   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

spent many a happy hour in the Kings Hall, of which was just around the corner as lived on burnley rd, in one of the houses (now demolished) just past Ann Parkins shop, which is the one were the row now ends, moved to dowry st about 54/55.
Old 26-12-2007, 00:03   #10
Resident Waffler

I vaguely remember the cinema where the old LLoyds Bank was but I had no idea there'd ever been one in Dowry Street. Fascinating snippet of local history.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 00:08   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I vaguely remember the cinema where the old LLoyds Bank was but I had no idea there'd ever been one in Dowry Street. Fascinating snippet of local history.
yeh it well intrigued me, with being were i was brought up n knowing nothing about it at all.
Old 26-12-2007, 08:10   #12
Senior Member+

Dowry Street Picture Palace??

To Cashman, so .... you lived in Burnley Road. New thread there, eh? Especially for you!

Atarah
Old 28-12-2007, 08:41   #13
Senior Member+

Read about Accy cinemas in Frank Watson's essay on them in the book 'An Accrington Mixture' which I edited in 1995. In 1950 There were six picture places in Accy - they all began with the letter 'T':- Th'Odeon, Th'Empire, T'Palace, T'Princess, T'Ritz and T'King's Hall
The last-named had various other names - T' Ranch, T'Bug 'ut In the same book, Fred Barrett wrote about his memories of this flea-pit which was part of the Wild West, and topped his story off with a poem. Good stuff
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 19:17   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
Just found this cashy, looks like it closed in 1916, then was a works and then demolished. You have to scroll down a ways to find the info. Gallery
bit of a wander, but sure some of the info on the link is incorrect, says the new Hippodrome closed 54,demolished 55, its the year of demolition i am disputing,i would say definatly early- mid 60s, would put money on it,well after 55.
Old 28-12-2007, 22:09   #15
Super Moderator

I'd put money on it, too. The tragic accident where a lad fell through the roof occurred around 62/63, so it was still standing then. I'd say it was demolished mid to late 60's.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..