Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 01:13   #1
God Member

Blind telephonist/receptionist

No idea where this memory came from,... but does anyone remember the blind chap who was telephonist/receptionist at a Council/Govt. office, think it was on the street leading up to the old swimming baths, think the chap may have had other disabilites besides blindness .......cannot remember what the offices were for or why I had to use them , this would be around the late 60s early 70s
thanks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-12-2007, 01:50   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Blind telephonist/receptionist

That could have been the education dept up that way on ST James St and Cannon St? Can't recall the chap but have heard of him.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:01   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber999T View Post
That could have been the education dept up that way on ST James St and Cannon St? Can't recall the chap but have heard of him.
so I'm not dreaming the chap up ......now then ......that could make sense , think maybe I'm getting the years mixed up ....possibly it was the early 60s , think in those days you had to get some sort of official permission and a quasi medical exam at 13 yrs old to get a paper round ,
thanks Ber.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:19   #4
Resting in Peace

Bingo!!!!! SJ thats why I had to go there to get permit for paper rounds I had been wondering why it rang a bell for me to LOL

Last edited by Ber999T; 12-12-2007 at 02:19. Reason: needed !!!!
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:43   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

The receptionists at HBC headquaters, Scaithcliffe House make me smile. I have sat many a time in reception waiting to meet Council Officers/Councillors for meetings about the Park. They just sit about a chat, it looks most unprofessional. I have even seen one of them pick up the phone and make a personal call. You can tell it is personal by the way she was talking then hurriedly hung up when someone else came to the desk. I am very observent and notice these things.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:54   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
No idea where this memory came from,... but does anyone remember the blind chap who was telephonist/receptionist at a Council/Govt. office, think it was on the street leading up to the old swimming baths, think the chap may have had other disabilites besides blindness .......cannot remember what the offices were for or why I had to use them , this would be around the late 60s early 70s
thanks
You are talking about Michael Carroll, unfortunately he died a few years ago. You are quite right he did have other disabilities, he had no hands. He was a real character used to be a regular in the New Brewery when I worked there. Can't remember just how he sustained his injuries and if nobody else has any ideas I will find out more for you.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:02   #7
God Member

We had a blind telephonist at Melbourne House in the early 60s. He had moved from the Labour Exchange to us at Social Security.
He was registered blind because he was an albino - white skin and hair and pink eyes. He needed to work in semi darkness because his eyes couldn't tolerate light.
I cant remember his name (maybe Winston)- he only worked there a few years until the telephone equipment was updated

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:47   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
You are talking about Michael Carroll, unfortunately he died a few years ago. You are quite right he did have other disabilities, he had no hands. He was a real character used to be a regular in the New Brewery when I worked there. Can't remember just how he sustained his injuries and if nobody else has any ideas I will find out more for you.
the guy you are talking about,lost his hands dynamiting salmon in australia, he was married to paris's cousin,who herself sadly died last year.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:57   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the guy you are talking about,lost his hands dynamiting salmon in australia, he was married to paris's cousin,who herself sadly died last year.
Ta Cashy thought it was something like that but wasn't sure of the details. They were both lovely people.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:11   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Ta Cashy thought it was something like that but wasn't sure of the details. They were both lovely people.
yeh,knew em both from around 65/66, they used to frequent the Kings Arms also.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:42   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
so I'm not dreaming the chap up ......now then ......that could make sense , think maybe I'm getting the years mixed up ....possibly it was the early 60s , think in those days you had to get some sort of official permission and a quasi medical exam at 13 yrs old to get a paper round ,
thanks Ber.
that bits got me confused started paper round feb 61, n never went for owt like that? just asked owd Bilsbourgh on Burnley rd for a job.
Old 12-12-2007, 13:37   #12
Beacon of light

I remember Michael Carroll too, he had a sister who used to help him around a bit.....I think she was called Kathleen, but am happy to be put right on this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 18:38   #13

I remember the blind receptionist, he worked at the health offices on St James Street I used to there to pick incontinence sheets for my grandma.

my grandma died in 1979 therefore I think it was possibly mid to late 70's when he he worked there.

I was always a bit spooked out by the sign telling you the receptionist was blind
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..