Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 17:35   #1
Junior Member+

Spring Hill long ago

I read in the observer (obits) a while back about a gentleman who ran a cobblers on spring hill road. So I got to looking where it might be, then I started looking at old maps, etc. So now I would like to hear from anyone who lived in spring hill who can remember the cobblers or the post office on spring street or the bakery on the corner of pickup st and springhill road. In fact anything relating to Spring Hill, stories, charactors,photos. I may even write a book!!! Thanks, in anticipation..
Old 12-12-2007, 19:29   #2
God Member

Re: Spring Hill long ago

I'm not that old but I remember there being chip shops both at the top of Sharples street ( one of teh first Chinese's in Accy) and also at the bottom of Spring Street. Spring Hill Car club used to have a shop at the bottom of SHR and I remember the shop on the corner of Charter street and Lonsdale being a Post Office and then a shop( the girls who lived there now live up Bash as I play then at Pool in the Bash league). Opposite was a ladies clothes shop.

There was a Butchers on George Street as well as the one at the bottom of Elizabeth street.

My Mum has lived on Elizabeth street for 50 odd years now. I lived there from birth to ~25 years old.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 10:37   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

gotta say spring hill was known for the best pint in accrington @district in the 60s, the Pickups Arms, in Bill n Teresas time, i lived near accy centre, but the Pickups i called in most nights.P.S. and dinners as well, when i worked at Raistricks.lol
Old 13-12-2007, 11:52   #4
Senior Member+

my good lady wife worked for many years in the pickups
right up and till it closed many good darts players spawned
good warm welcome always assured
sadly those days have gone along with spring hill

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 16:06   #5

I lived on Lonsdale St in the 60's, (in the Ladies wear shop at one point) and can remeber a few of the shops. There was a sweet shop opposite the Pickup's that used to sell draught sasparilla-MAGIC. Then at the bottom of Spring St there was the Veevo ( I think) good for Mambos and spud guns. Coming closer to home at the bottom of Sharples St was Bridges confectioners with excellent pies and pasties plus Savoys to die for. At the bottom of Elizabeth St was Jack Walmsley's butchers ( a good friend of my dad) where I picked up our meat order on Saturday mornings. I recall having to get my more muscular sister to drag our beagle away from his display of pigs' heads in his window one day. A greengrocers was further round towards the bottom of Exchange st and then a house that looked like it used to be a shop but with some kind of opaque green covering on the inside of the window that had about a million dead wasps and bees trappedin there . Scary!!
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 19:03   #6
God Member

Ooo, that reminds me, wasn't there a pudding shop or sommat just further on than the veg shop.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 19:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Ooo, that reminds me, wasn't there a pudding shop or sommat just further on than the veg shop.
...and a barber's somewhere around there too?
Old 13-12-2007, 19:22   #8
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

hey you learn summat new everyday on ere, i never knew that about springhill rd etc.....
Old 13-12-2007, 19:34   #9
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

how would i go about finding which shops where around years and years ago??
would love to know what shops were where in ossy:S

(i know im a boring sod
Old 13-12-2007, 19:50   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
gotta say spring hill was known for the best pint in accrington @district in the 60s, the Pickups Arms, in Bill n Teresas time, i lived near accy centre, but the Pickups i called in most nights.P.S. and dinners as well, when i worked at Raistricks.lol
The Pickup's Arms...what a great pub! When I worked on the bins, our weekly round finished at the end of Pickup Street on the old Accy Borough boundary. The week's work was conducted at a brisk pace, so that we had usually comcluded our toils by Friday lunchtime. Any scrap metal picked up along the way was taken to a dealer on Back Burnley Road to supplement funds for our Friday afternoon "session" in the pub. Everyone partook of a few pints, then it was back to Moreton Street to clock off. Wouldn't be allowed these days and quite rightly so, but, eeh, it were a crackin' pint!
Old 13-12-2007, 20:34   #11

I myself lived on the fern gore estate but a lot of my school friends at springhill council school lived in the pickup street springhill road area a few names I can remember alan riding whose parents had a cake shop on pickup street alan went on to become a boss at platt saco lowells < HOWARD & BULLOUGHS> also the wilkinson twins two excellent amateur boxers as well as allround sportsmen ronnie wilkinson worked as motor mechanic when he left school I cant remember what the other twin did
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 21:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
how would i go about finding which shops where around years and years ago??
would love to know what shops were where in ossy:S

(i know im a boring sod
Try Goad maps. They give details of retail premises ground floor use and are printed every 5 years or so. They are usualy available at local libraries maybe Accy would be a better bet than Ossy.
Old 17-12-2007, 19:33   #13
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
Then at the bottom of Spring St there was the Veevo ( I think) good for Mambos and spud guns.
Veevo was at the bottom of Edleston Street I remember it was run by the Halsalls it was next door to a newsagents.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 19:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Veevo was at the bottom of Edleston Street I remember it was run by the Halsalls it was next door to a newsagents.
you're right, age grows over the mind like moss over stones...
Old 17-12-2007, 19:44   #15
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
...and a barber's somewhere around there too?
Was it at the bottom of Elizabeth Street on Pickup Street maybe called Wynns, not too sure.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..