Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 04:23   #16
God Member

Re: Favourite snowy memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Pleased you told that story Cashy ... seem to remember someone wasn't that lucky down Dowry Street, and cracked his skull... whoops sorry ... supposed to be happy memories.

Well, my daughter has just walked the 3 mile into work today and son decided that for once the elements had beaten him cycling to work .. so walked/ran the six miles home. Proud of 'em .. not all will be beaten, as you were not Margaret.

Eeew yeh ... those ashes certainly halted the run didn't they .. I did the Coppice run too, and still have a spell embedded in my hand after grabbing a tree 'cause I was going too fast..

I have just normal good memories of snow. Sledging down Dowry Street .. although didn't have one of my own .. had to wait until my best mate would allow me a 'turn'.

We do not appear to have had any drifts for years (no wind) .. loved jumping over those. Don't see kids making slides any more (Health and Safety ?) ... even in Peel Park yard remember the queue for these ... long strip of ice ... great. Snowballing was great, until some idiot decided to put a stone in the middle of it ... yobs of the 50's I guess.
I remember the ice slides ... we used to make them in the playground at All Saints .... oh, and screw health and safety; childhood is more important.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2010, 09:22   #17
Beacon of light

I remember those Peel Park Playground ice slides........and getting into trouble for 'polishing' the ice with my school beret.......Mrs Shaw went nuts and wrote a letter to Ma and I got it in the neck twice for that.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:34   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Monarch St is fairly bad. As are most of the roads down here - the gritter isn't likely to get down here.

Here are a few pics from this afternoon. Hoping to create some new snowy memories for Madz and Zack.
Thought you'd have taken one of Neil feeding the goats Gayle
Old 06-01-2010, 09:36   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
my sister deciding a 19 year old can still use the sledge that she had when she was a kid and but it would be a good idea to get baby sis to test the sledge out first into a snowdrift about 6ft deep .. the sledge sunk .. and big sis saying come on jen get out of there you have to drag it back home yet .. the hill she took me to is now under the 'highway in the sky' .... she also swiped some of mums bin bags .. we dumped the sledge at the bottom of the shales - and went up to the top of the shales and slid down that .... in the bin bags .. which ripped .. shales is not called shales for nothing .. jaysay will vouch for me there ... and ripped my jeans ... good job sis was going back to manchester polytechnic that night .. she didnt get the earache ..
100% Jen 100%
Old 06-01-2010, 09:38   #20

when i was small me and my brother went down the plantaison and slid dow the brook banks and then we went home and got played hell off our mother
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:42   #21
Resting in Peace

Remembering back to my school days, and thinking what happens today, there are over 30 schools closed in Lancs, but back i the fifties and sixties can't remember any schools closing and not to many kids were missing either, nor teachers. Mind you in those days there was no school run, maybe its because parents can't get their 4 x 4s out of the garages
Old 06-01-2010, 09:43   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard View Post
when i was small me and my brother went down the plantaison and slid dow the brook banks and then we went home and got played hell off our mother
You and me alike Mallard
Old 06-01-2010, 10:06   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Remembering back to my school days, and thinking what happens today, there are over 30 schools closed in Lancs, but back i the fifties and sixties can't remember any schools closing and not to many kids were missing either, nor teachers. Mind you in those days there was no school run, maybe its because parents can't get their 4 x 4s out of the garages
The schools never closed due to snow when I was there either.

At QEGS the teachers lived as far away as the coast, but made it in.

At Moor End the majority of teachers lived outside of Hyndburn, and again made it in. As did the kids, who just got wrapped up, donned their Wellies, and trudged to school through the snow.

The heating once broke down at Moor End, but they didn't close.

They just packed the whole school into the hall, and we did country dancing to stay warm.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:14   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

At Moor End the majority of teachers lived outside of Hyndburn, and again made it in. As did the kids, who just got wrapped up, donned their Wellies, and trudged to school through the snow.

The heating once broke down at Moor End, but they didn't close.

They just packed the whole school into the hall, and we did country dancing to stay warm.

i cannot remember school ever being closed, at st.johns can remember us being told "Keep yer coats on,the heatings not working" the kids today are being made into wimps by the health n safety geezers, whilst its a great act, like owt else gone to far. IMHO.
Old 06-01-2010, 14:29   #25
God Member

1990, me and Tinks 'sledging' down the banking at the side of Pioneer working mens club on bin bags....oh how we laughed
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 16:05   #26
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

So whose fault is it that were closed today?

I blame the staff for not getting in - then again they don't give them the chance to even try. Some schools announced closure last night.

Why are the school staff not spending the day clearing the snow ready for tomorrow? After all we are paying them for sitting on their butts at home.
Old 06-01-2010, 17:21   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i cannot remember school ever being closed, at st.johns can remember us being told "Keep yer coats on,the heatings not working" the kids today are being made into wimps by the health n safety geezers, whilst its a great act, like owt else gone to far. IMHO.
This health and safety garbage is a crock ... humans have succeeded because they take risks knowing that failure is always an option. They gave us health and safety and they stole childhood ... or at least they took the fun out of it ... doesn't sound like a good deal to me
Old 06-01-2010, 17:24   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Health and safety is what stops us losing limbs and work or worse not going home again to our families.

Its just gone to far.
Old 06-01-2010, 17:27   #29
Beacon of light

All Saints School in Clayton have never closed in the past, but they had three classrooms flooded, the electricals were affected by water and soome of the classroom ceilings collapsed........that was why they closed.......they were working very hard this afternoon to try to get the school fit to open on Friday for some of the pupils....but there are no guarantees that this will happen.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 06-01-2010 at 17:31.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 19:30   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Health and safety is what stops us losing limbs and work or worse not going home again to our families.

Its just gone to far.
I agree it's gone too far ... workplace safety legislation is necessary, because the tory supporting bastards who run the factories don't give a damn about the workers, and will tolerate unsafe conditions in order to save a buck (this one for Jaysay). But it definitely has gone way too far .... there are things, like playing in snow and sliding on ice, which can be dangerous for kids ... well, to the extent that they can break an arm or a leg. But having fun while taking risks is part of the process of growing up. If I had young kids, I would be much happier to see them going out to play in the snow, than to watch them sitting in front of a screen playing snowboarding games on their PS3s.

Which reminds me ... I once slid into a wall in the playground at All Sinners coming off an ice slide ... broke my nose .... got sent home ... my mom said I was a daft ******, took my bloodstained shirt, gave me a clean one, and sent me back out to play.

Years ago, I was working in the north Saskatchewan community of Ile-a-la-Crosse. I had flown over to Lac LaRonge for a meeting, and was returning home. As we circled the lake waiting for the snowplow to clear a place for us to land on the ice, we saw the plow go through the ice ... no landing there. The weather was starting to turn a little nasty .... high winds, and blowing snow ... so the pilot turned round (the Beaver is not that big of a plane) and told us he had good news and bad news: the bad news was we would have to land at Buffalo Narrows .... the good news, we might just have enough fuel to make it. We made it, barely, with the old Beaver sucking on fumes .... the pilot, and old-fashioned bushy from way back, took us all (well, all four of us) to the bar, where we all celebrated life by getting roaring drunk.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..