Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 19:48   #31

Re: Favourite snowy memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
making ice lollies on the back bedroom windowsill......that was inside the house.
It was the only time when we were little that we had ice lollies.

Using a tin tray to slide down Riley's hill in the snow....my brothers commandeered the two sledges....the tin tray was faster anyway.

Sometime in the late seventies......I remember getting the Ribble bus to Blackburn and it not being able to get up the other side of the papermill brew in Rishton.......I walked the rest of the way to Queen's Park......that wasn't exactly a favourite memory, but it was memorable.
Where is Riley's hill? You've got me thinking now.
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2010, 20:06   #32
Beacon of light

It is near Marsden Street...close to Priestley Clough, and where the Highams mill was....before they knocked it all down.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 20:20   #33

Thankyou
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 20:43   #34
God Member

Ok, so my mom called me a "daft bogger" not a "daft ******"
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 00:32   #35
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
So whose fault is it that were closed today?

I blame the staff for not getting in - then again they don't give them the chance to even try. Some schools announced closure last night.

Why are the school staff not spending the day clearing the snow ready for tomorrow? After all we are paying them for sitting on their butts at home.
Apparently some school's closures are being decided on the whim of caretakers. Though what qualifications they have for suspending children's education is beyond me.

I wonder how many staff would make it in, if there was to be a £1,000. bonus for those who got to work?

Sadly the whole fabric of what made us a great nation is being lost.

Sixty odd year ago we battled, fought adversity and were victorious, under much harsher conditions than we have today.

Now we can't even jump the first hurdle, in this race that is real life.

Pathetic.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:51   #36
God Member

I agree with you Garinda. Although, I would defend the caretaker against the word 'whim'. He's responsible for the health and safety on the site so it's his job to make sure everything is safe. In these days of suing people at a 'whim' he has to be extra careful.

I remember back in the 70s or 80s, when there was a news article on TV or a storyline in a programme about a court case in America. I can't remember what the case was but it was basically a 'suing someone because they've tripped over a pavement' sort of case. My mum said, 'oh this is ridiculous, it'll never happen over here'. My dad said, 'oh yes it will, you just wait and see'. I think it's gone too far and people are so scared of being sued that they don't risk it.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:06   #37
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I agree with you Garinda. Although, I would defend the caretaker against the word 'whim'. He's responsible for the health and safety on the site so it's his job to make sure everything is safe. In these days of suing people at a 'whim' he has to be extra careful.
So would I Gayle because he is one of my neighbours

Shame the Head Teacher can't be bothered to turn up though and check for him/herself. Could have helped clear the snow while he/she was there. After all how long can it take to clear the snow of those few steps and salt it with salt from the kitchen if they have no grit?
Old 07-01-2010, 07:26   #38
Give, give, give member

I still think deciding to cease children's education should ultimately be the head's decision.

As Neil said, whoever is designated as being responsible for health and safety, would be better using their time ensuring safe acces to the building.

It was only 11 months ago that it last snowed, and people were giving the excuse that pupils should be allowed to stay off school because it was a 'once in a lifetime experience'.

Since this cold snap is forecast to last at least another couple of weeks, it seems ridiculous that children should be missing out on an education.

You can bet their contemporaries, in countries with similarly cold weather, and who one day they'll be competing against in the job market, won't be sat at home watching Jeremy Kyle.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:18   #39
Resting in Peace

Back in 1962/3 there was snow from December through to March, can't remember the schools closing then, if that had been the case this year, (it still could be) how much time will the kids have to have off school

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..