Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-10-2008, 20:18   #16
God Member

Re: Grandparents

I was lucky to have known my Grandma and Grandad on my fathers side and also my Grandads Mother and father, My Great Grandparents...They both died when I was eight years old....My Grandad worked at Walpamur in Darwen and my Grandma was a weaver.
My Grandma and Grandad both survived the their two sons who perished in WWII.
One was my father (1944) the other one my uncle Harold (1942).
On the other side, I new my maternal Grandma (Mam) Bridget, who had nine children, now sadly all no longer with us...I think my Grandfather (John) went missing after the ninth?...........never knew him.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-10-2008, 20:23   #17
God Member

I was very priviledged to know both my Great Grandmas - one died when I was 14, the other when I was 17. I also had a full complement of grandparents until I was about 28. My little Grandma and Grandad died within a year of each other when I was 28, my other Grandma and Nanna were able to make it to our wedding but my Grandad died when I was pregnant with Maddie (I think I've said on here some of the weird things Maddie has said about him - even though she never met him) and my Nanna died about three years ago. So amazingly lucky to have all these wonderful people in my life for so long.

My little Grandad was the kindest nicest person I ever met, he taught me how to bake bread and cakes. He taught me how to do crosswords and puzzles and we used to watch Match of the Day with a bag of chips every time I stayed over at their house.

My little Grandma was your typical northern woman. She was from Durham and even though she had developed a lancashire accent she still said Fillem insted of Film. My Grandad called her Queenie. They fought and sparred and hugged and kissed all the time.

My big Nanna (she was never Grandma) had the best giggle in the world, she found everything funny and was warm and cuddly. She loved chocolate, life and snowballs (the drink).

My big Grandad was possibly the first real love of my life. And now I'm crying!

I miss them all almost every day.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Last edited by Gayle; 20-10-2008 at 20:27.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 20:32   #18
God Member

I was born in 1978, my grandparents on my mother's side did not live long lives. My maternal grandad died in 1975 aged 59 and my maternal grandma died in 1976 aged 55.

I would have dearly loved to have known them.

My grandad on my father's side died aged 75 in 1996 and my paternal grandma died in 2004 aged 84. They used to look after me in the school holidays and my grandma in particular used to say such funny things. She was feisty too.
Old 20-10-2008, 23:01   #19
Accy Goddess

I never knew my Maternal Grandparents. Mum was brought up in the orphanage at Kirkham and never knew who her Parents were.
My Paternal grandad died before I was born.
My Nana was a character though and had a wicked sense of humour. She would give perfect strangers her last penny or the cloth's off her back.
She spoilt me rotten, but on the minus side she had a lot to do with my being over weight. If I was up-set she would comfort me with her lush cakes and stodgy food.
If I fell over and hurt my knee it would be comfort food to make it all better.
When I went to live with her at the age of 15 I was made to eat breakfast and it wouldn't be just one or two slices of toast but a whole plate full. She was insulted if her meals weren't eaten.
But apart from that she was one of the best.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 22:08   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

was brought up Mon- Fri by me nan n grandad (on me dads side) due to both parents working full time, have many happy memories of em both, me grandad worked on the bins, was in charge of the horses before mechanisation, was gutted when they got the wagons. both sadly croaked when i was in me early teens, which sent a young cashy completely off the rails. always remember me nan was a wonderful cook, can't remember her working cos she looked after me.
Old 27-11-2008, 07:46   #21

You've got those warm cosey memories to hang on to mate.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 08:15   #22
God Member

All mine were dead by teh time I was born. I've got pictures of both grandmas but none of grandads

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 21:32   #23
God Member

I remeber all of my grandparents, tho' my grandad Ashton died when I was four ... he had been wounded and gassed in the Great War ... my grandma Slater (nee Webster) died of cervical cancer in the early fifties ... my grandma Ashton died in '62 ... she'd had a hard life, working in the mills full time and taking care of her invalid husband .... my grandad Slater died also in '62 of complications from lung cancer ... a hard man, with a soft heart .... when I think of them, all different, I get some idea of what it meant to be Lancashire.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 22:25   #24

I was priveledeged to know all of my grandparents. My nan on my mums side died when i was 20, and I had just got engaged and I remember her telling me that my ring sparkled. My Grandad on my mums side died when I was 25, just before I had my son. I remember my mum wearing black for 3 months when her mum died.

I still have both my grandparents on my dads side. They are 94 and 92 and still live together in there own home, with help from both my Uncle (there son) and myself. My Dad lives in Cyprus, but due to there ill health is coming back as soon as he has sold up. My Nan is poorly now, but I'm doing all I can for her and she is happy enough.

Sadly, I don't have my Mum anymore. How strange is that to have lost your Mum but to still have grandparents.

I remember my Grandad teaching me to ride my bike. I have to admit that I am very close to my Grandparents, and to my Dad.
Old 10-12-2008, 22:52   #25
Give, give, give member

I was the first born grandchild on both sides.

My paternal grandfather was killed in June 1944, in Normandy, before my mum was born. So none of us sadly knew him.

His wife, my Nan, was only thirty nine when I was born. She looked younger than even that age, and was always very glam. She was hard working, as she had to be, after being widowed at twenty with a family to bring up.

In the school holidays she used to take us, me, my brother and our cousin, to all the places she used to have adventures as a child. The Plantation, the Swanee, the Twenty Steps, and the Fairy Caves. She would always be the first to swing over the brook on a rope, and we just laughed and had fun all day long.

When I went away to college I couldn't have survived without all the food she used to send me back with, after weekend visits home. I'd also get regular little notes, with money wrapped in strange things, so the Scouse posties wouldn't nick it.

She died in the mid nineties. I was up from London for a visit. She'd had indigestion all weekend. On the Tuesday afternoon she'd been to a tea dance. We recieved a call to say she'd been taken to the hospital, by the time we arrived she was dead. A great shock, but painless, and she'd had fun untill the last day of her life.

She loved her family unconditionally. She would have died for her two daughters, and her three grandchildren. Everytime I was home she hugged me so tight, because she didn't see me everyday like her other two grandchildren, and squeezed me hard for fear she'd never see me again. She loved, and was loved.

My other grandparents I was close to when I was small. They moved to the seaside when I was seven. I used to go and stay with them in the holidays, but I was never as close to them as my Nan.

Last edited by garinda; 10-12-2008 at 23:01.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:30   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I was the first born grandchild on both sides.

My paternal grandfather was killed in June 1944, in Normandy, before my mum was born. So none of us sadly knew him.

His wife, my Nan, was only thirty nine when I was born. She looked younger than even that age, and was always very glam. She was hard working, as she had to be, after being widowed at twenty with a family to bring up.

In the school holidays she used to take us, me, my brother and our cousin, to all the places she used to have adventures as a child. The Plantation, the Swanee, the Twenty Steps, and the Fairy Caves. She would always be the first to swing over the brook on a rope, and we just laughed and had fun all day long.

When I went away to college I couldn't have survived without all the food she used to send me back with, after weekend visits home. I'd also get regular little notes, with money wrapped in strange things, so the Scouse posties wouldn't nick it.

She died in the mid nineties. I was up from London for a visit. She'd had indigestion all weekend. On the Tuesday afternoon she'd been to a tea dance. We recieved a call to say she'd been taken to the hospital, by the time we arrived she was dead. A great shock, but painless, and she'd had fun untill the last day of her life.

She loved her family unconditionally. She would have died for her two daughters, and her three grandchildren. Everytime I was home she hugged me so tight, because she didn't see me everyday like her other two grandchildren, and squeezed me hard for fear she'd never see me again. She loved, and was loved.

My other grandparents I was close to when I was small. They moved to the seaside when I was seven. I used to go and stay with them in the holidays, but I was never as close to them as my Nan.
As you know Rindi I knew your Nan very well, she was life and soul of the party, a lovely person, spent many a Saturday night sitting on the next table in Ossy Con, we had a laugh a minute, I was very sad when she died, people like Lily are few and far between
Old 11-12-2008, 18:47   #27

Grandma coming round on a Sunday afternoon to do a Jigsaw whilst my parent's were out of work. Happy, happy days!
Mr Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..