Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 15:53   #16
God Member

Re: Historical events! Where were you?

I was on a train between Sorrento and Pompeii when I heard that Gorbachov was under house arrest.

The coup failed but was the start of the breakup of the Soviet Union which happened rapidly after that.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-09-2012, 16:12   #17
Resting In Peace

9/11 I was in a charity shop in Leamington Spa when I heard people talking about what was happening in NYC.

Diana - we were on a campsite on the Pembrokeshire coast when we heard about it on the radio on the Sunday morning. We then went off for the day to a reconstructed Iron Age village. It started to rain and we went into one of the thatched round houses. There was a group of people in there sitting round a fire in the middle of the hut, talking about Diana, and it struck me things haven't changed much in 2000 years. They could have been Iron Age folk talking about their latest harvest rather than twentieth century people talking about a dead princess.
Old 03-09-2012, 16:45   #18
Beacon of light

Assassination of JFK - heard about this when I was coming home from the pictures.
Diana's death - had just come home from a jaunt away with Ma - himself woke me up to tell me.
9/11.....I was at the hairdressers and thought it was an advert for some disaster movie or another...was totally shocked to see it was the news channel.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 17:39   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
i remember where i was when it came on the news about Diana, i'd just woke up and Reece's dad was making me a brew, i shouted of him and told him and he fell down running UP the stairs (stupid man)
The first I heard of that Shaz was when the Sunday Paper dropped on the mate and the headline was Dodi Dead Diana injured, I put the TV on about 9am and they were just saying she had died
Old 03-09-2012, 19:30   #20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
when the Sunday Paper dropped on the mate
Could be quite nasty that, especially if it was the Sunday Times with all those supplements.
Old 03-09-2012, 21:20   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
She only died once, I bet you've been pished in that park many times.

Jumping to conclusions again Less! No that was a one off as it was the last day of the Notting Hill Carnival! I fell asleep in the park and woke up at dawn.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 21:41   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Jumping to conclusions again Less! No that was a one off as it was the last day of the Notting Hill Carnival! I fell asleep in the park and woke up at dawn.
Oh Dear! Someone is very, very confused. It must be the waccy-baccy.

The last day of the N.H.C. is always the August Bank Monday; Di decided not to wear a seatbelt and so died in the early hours of sunday morning. Most people in the UK were fully aware by midday sunday...and you say you did not find out until tuesday, after the last day of the carnival. Most peculiar.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 21:47   #23
God Member

In fact...the 1997 bank holiday was 25/Aug....the previous monday to Di's death
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 22:13   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
In fact...the 1997 bank holiday was 25/Aug....the previous monday to Di's death
Oh Dear, still thats history fer yeh.
Old 03-09-2012, 22:32   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Oh Dear! Someone is very, very confused. It must be the waccy-baccy.

The last day of the N.H.C. is always the August Bank Monday; Di decided not to wear a seatbelt and so died in the early hours of sunday morning. Most people in the UK were fully aware by midday sunday...and you say you did not find out until tuesday, after the last day of the carnival. Most peculiar.
Yeh I was aware that the Notting Hill Carnival was the weekend before Di's death - but for me both events seem to be associated in my own mind - regardless of the fact that Diane died the Saturday/Sunday morning after, which would have been from the Monday which is the biggest night of the carnival = 6 days!

Glad you awake enough to have recognised this fact!

Last edited by kestrelx; 03-09-2012 at 22:37.
Old 04-09-2012, 00:27   #26

I was in the house doing my homework one evening when my Dad came in from a meeting and said that John F. Kennedy had been assassinated.
I was in church on Sunday morning when the person doing the prayers of intercession asked us to pray for the family of Princess Diana. When he came back to his seat I asked him what he meant and he said that she'd been killed in a car crash.
I was working in the office when my colleague's student daughter rang up and said that a plane had crashed into the Twin Towers on 9/11. She then kept ringing her mum with updates. She didn't seem to be sure at first whether it was a real event she was witnessing.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:43   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Could be quite nasty that, especially if it was the Sunday Times with all those supplements.
Not as daft as you think he was still p*****from the night before
Old 04-09-2012, 08:46   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yeh I was aware that the Notting Hill Carnival was the weekend before Di's death - but for me both events seem to be associated in my own mind - regardless of the fact that Diane died the Saturday/Sunday morning after, which would have been from the Monday which is the biggest night of the carnival = 6 days!

When your in a hole stop digging, you end up in Australia
Old 04-09-2012, 09:03   #29
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

It must have been a really drunken (high?) session if you can lose 5 or 6 days between one event and link it with another!

Have you considered what it is you've done to create such large gaps in your memory?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:40   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
It must have been a really drunken (high?) session if you can lose 5 or 6 days between one event and link it with another!

Have you considered what it is you've done to create such large gaps in your memory?

Rubbish - what I said that in my brain the event of geting pished at Notting Hill Carnival on Monday is always associated in my mind with the day Diana died 6 days latter. Perhaps because falling asleep in a park is something I've done twice in my life.

So there is no gap in my memory! that said Less are you telling me that you remember every single day, week, month of your life and that you remember all events exactly day for day, all details of what happened since the day you were born. I don't think so.

It is normal for us to remember key events of importance and often these are associated with other key invents that may have occured at a similar time. I never said these two event were on the same day.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..