Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 09:52   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Historical events! Where were you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Rubbish - what I said that in my brain the event of geting pished at Notting Hill Carnival on Monday is always associated in my mind with the day Diana died 6 days latter. Perhaps because falling asleep in a park is something I've done twice in my life.

So there is no gap in my memory! that said Less are you telling me that you remember every single day, week, month of your life and that you remember all events exactly day for day, all details of what happened since the day you were born. I don't think so.

It is normal for us to remember key events of importance and often these are associated with other key invents that may have occured at a similar time. I never said these two event were on the same day.
Still digging
Old 04-09-2012, 10:06   #32

I was in a pub in Blackburn(underage!!) attending a meeting of the Accy potholers group, when President Kennedy was shot
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:12   #33
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Perhaps because falling asleep in a park is something I've done twice in my life.
Or maybe, you only think you've only fallen asleep twice in a park?

Quote:
So there is no gap in my memory!
Yeah right.

Quote:

that said Less are you telling me that you remember every single day, week, month of your life and that you remember all events exactly day for day, all details of what happened since the day you were born. I don't think so.
I thought everyone that hadn't had their brain befuddled by chemical cocktails could?

Quote:

It is normal for us to remember key events of importance and often these are associated with other key invents that may have occured at a similar time. I never said these two event were on the same day.
You are correct, it is normal for US to remember key events and associate them with something else however a gap of 6 days between those events? What were you using to lose that long?

Please feel free to get upset any time you wish, spit out your dummy if it helps but, please don't threaten to leave the site you will only disappoint a large number of people when you have forgotten to link leaving with actually going.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:36   #34
God Member

July 1997 -was on holiday touring Brittany in a camper van with my husband and boys. We'd stopped at Perros -Guirrec a gorgeous place wih a fantastic beach. Went in to do a bit of shopping in a little grocers while they were on the beach and saw a newspaper for the first time in a week to find that Gianni Versace had been shot dead.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:52   #35
Super Moderator

Quote:
Rubbish - what I said that in my brain the event of geting pished at Notting Hill Carnival on Monday is always associated in my mind with the day Diana died 6 days latter. Perhaps because falling asleep in a park is something I've done twice in my life.

So there is no gap in my memory! that said Less are you telling me that you remember every single day, week, month of your life and that you remember all events exactly day for day, all details of what happened since the day you were born. I don't think so.

You asked us "where were you at any historical events that have occurred". Obviously, any normal person would take that to mean where were you at the time you heard the news of this event - not six days later. You've been caught out talking crap, but you're far too arrogant to admit it. Still, that's par for the course with you.
Old 04-09-2012, 18:17   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
You asked us "where were you at any historical events that have occurred". Obviously, any normal person would take that to mean where were you at the time you heard the news of this event - not six days later. You've been caught out talking crap, but you're far too arrogant to admit it. Still, that's par for the course with you.
Told him he was in a hole Wyn
Old 08-09-2012, 21:10   #37

Was in the Bees Knees sticking to the carpet when they shot Reagan. Reports came through that he was dead, but obviously they were wrong. I'm not sure if we would be in quite such a state with militant Islam had someone more perceptive been in charge when the Russians were turfed out of Afghanistan.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:27   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
Was in the Bees Knees sticking to the carpet when they shot Reagan. Reports came through that he was dead, but obviously they were wrong. I'm not sure if we would be in quite such a state with militant Islam had someone more perceptive been in charge when the Russians were turfed out of Afghanistan.
Ya mean in the days when Bin Laden was an American Alley
Old 09-09-2012, 10:48   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya mean in the days when Bin Laden was an American Alley
Don't think the Yanks have ever had n alley called Bin Laden? i'll go n ask our allies.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:38   #40
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Don't think the Yanks have ever had n alley called Bin Laden? i'll go n ask our allies.
Perhaps he's getting mixed up with 'Tin Pan alley'? (West 28th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenue in Manhattan).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 17:39   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Ya well its Sunday and I was on the old peculiar last night
Old 09-09-2012, 18:32   #42

I was in Preston on 9/11 working on some software. My boss, came and stood behind me watching what I was doing. I told him how annoying it was, and he said he had nothing to do - all the systems he used for stock trading had stopped working - and that never happens.

Got an email through on a mailing list saying that the WTC had been bombed (again), quickly followed by another to say it was a small plane. Most news sites got flooded and inaccessible quite quickly after that - the only one that seemed to keep working was Ananova.

When Beslan happened, we'd just moved to Great Harwood. That always sticks in my memory more than 9/11.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 18:48   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
If you go on holiday for a week or 2 weeks - events that occured after 15 years kind of blur into one - you don't recall every event as it occured on every day - perfectly do you!

You people are just splitting hairs to be difficult!

Last edited by kestrelx; 09-09-2012 at 18:55.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 22:48   #44
Super Moderator

Quote:
If you go on holiday for a week or 2 weeks - events that occured after 15 years kind of blur into one - you don't recall every event as it occured on every day - perfectly do you!

You people are just splitting hairs to be difficult!
No, course you don't, because most events in your life are pretty mundane. But you often remember where you were and what you were doing at the moment you heard the news of a memorable event. That's the whole point of the soddin' thread. It's no good telling us what you did six days later. Just admit you're wrong and stop arguing!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:30   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No, course you don't, because most events in your life are pretty mundane. But you often remember where you were and what you were doing at the moment you heard the news of a memorable event. That's the whole point of the soddin' thread. It's no good telling us what you did six days later. Just admit you're wrong and stop arguing!
Give him a bit of slack Wyn, it was probably in the days of experimentation, no doubt people do lose track of time under the influence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..