Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2014, 08:06   #31

Re: Huncoat Youth Club

Taddy, Did you know Harry Anderton or Colin Sager. Both men would be in their early eighties if still alive today. Both lived in Huncoat when school boys.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-04-2014, 16:23   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
Taddy, Did you know Harry Anderton or Colin Sager. Both men would be in their early eighties if still alive today. Both lived in Huncoat when school boys.
Hi Irene, after the thrashing that the Aussie cricketers gave our lads in the ashes series, I don't think that I should even be talking to you, Only jesting.

As to your question,as far as I am aware Colin is still (wick),as they used to say in Lancs, Wick obviously meaning still alive, but then you probably already know that. Colins lad, also called Colin, (alias the wild man), also lives in the village on Station Road where is father has lived for as long as I can remember.

Harry Anderton I am afraid I cannot bring to mind, the only Anderton I can think of was a Henry(I think), he was a pattern maker at the Redac brickworks in 1960s.

Hope this helps, please stay in touch, stay happy, Yours Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:21   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Hi Irene, after the thrashing that the Aussie cricketers gave our lads in the ashes series, I don't think that I should even be talking to you, Only jesting.

As to your question,as far as I am aware Colin is still (wick),as they used to say in Lancs, Wick obviously meaning still alive, but then you probably already know that. Colins lad, also called Colin, (alias the wild man), also lives in the village on Station Road where is father has lived for as long as I can remember.

Harry Anderton I am afraid I cannot bring to mind, the only Anderton I can think of was a Henry(I think), he was a pattern maker at the Redac brickworks in 1960s.

Hope this helps, please stay in touch, stay happy, Yours Taddy.
I never heard the word 'wick' referred to a human Taddy. I have heard it said, the house is wick with cockroaches, or wick with mice, or when going to school wick with nits. In 1946, my hubby went to the Junior Technical School with Henry( The boys called him Harry) and was in the same class. Colin was a bit younger, but he always remembers Colin because of his size. Can you ask Colin if he knows Henry's whereabouts, or if he is still alive?. I think the person you knew from Redac could have be Harry. My hubby has been trying to get in touch with his 24 classmates, but sadly most have passed on. Thank you.
n
Old 04-04-2014, 13:32   #34

Hi Irene, although I have lived in the village for sixty years and known (of) Colin for most of my adult life, we have never actually acknowledged one another in conversational terms. Seems strange I know, I have no doubt that he knows my name as well I know his but our paths have never crossed so to speak.

I will try to get the information you have asked for about Harry Anderton, if he is the person that I recollect, then a good friend of mine (Dennis Maguire) may well know or have known him.

When I started work at the Redac in 1962, there was a lady who worked in the office and married the under manager, (who'es name escapes me);I am nearly sure that she was called Irene, is it too much of a coincidence that you are one and the same girls ?

Please keep in touch and stay happy as ever, Taddy.
Old 04-04-2014, 20:26   #35

I may have made a mistake in my last post, I have just recalled an Irene Butterworth that worked in the Redac office at the time but as far as I know she still lives in the village. Yours Taddy.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:03   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Taddy, I am sure the Accrington Museum in the Arndale would also like a copy.
Hi Margaret,
Hazel (my good lady), sometimes! called into the Accrington museum yesterday and dropped off the photograph of the Woodnook football team of the 1961/62 season, so if you want to call in and drool over young men in shorts now is your chance;By the way, I am the short house goalkeeper on the back row..
As ever, stay happy, Yours Taddy.
Old 06-04-2014, 20:38   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post

Hello Irene, I have managed to get the information that you wanted, I received a phone call only ten minutes ago from my mate who has seen Colin Sagar in the last couple of days and he is ok; the other news is not as good I am afraid, Harry,(Henry) Anderton who was a pattern maker at Redac brickworks and lived in a cottage on Spouthouse Lane, passed away many years ago.

If I can be of further help don't hesitate to contact me. Yours Taddy.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:59   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post

Hello Irene, I have managed to get the information that you wanted, I received a phone call only ten minutes ago from my mate who has seen Colin Sagar in the last couple of days and he is ok; the other news is not as good I am afraid, Harry,(Henry) Anderton who was a pattern maker at Redac brickworks and lived in a cottage on Spouthouse Lane, passed away many years ago.

If I can be of further help don't hesitate to contact me. Yours Taddy.
Thanks Taddy for your help. You have answered our query. That would have been Henry who went to school with my hubby. He is pretty sure.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..