Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2005, 23:27   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Wink leeds @ liverpool canal

i remember when i was a lad(moby dick was a tadpole) the working barges on the canal,used to carry coal,we spent many a summers day down at the swing bridge down off dill hall,can we have a ride mister? jump on the barge and sail away to burnley or further, used to get towards burnley and jump across on a barge going back the other way,i wonder if anyone else used to sail the canal,alas those days are long gone mores the pity,theres not much outdoor fun for youngsters today.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:42   #2

Re: leeds @ liverpool canal

Yes remember it well, but we went in the in the other direction, to church and Rishton, sometimes, up to Whitebirke Power station. Sometimes got another barge back or we would thraw our bikes on the coal heap on the barge and ride home. It was a great day out, the old bargee's told a few dirty jokes and a few old story's of days gone by. By the way if you went around the canal bank and accross the field, it was a good way to get into Enfield Cricket Club for nothing, under the fence.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 09:58   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

yeh we went the other wat a couple of times,but always prefered the route to burnley,the old bargees used tell us that it was mainly jobs for the family when we used to ask.shame it was gone not many years later.
Old 04-05-2005, 22:19   #4

anybody got a photo of the swing bridge off dill hall lane,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 15:54   #5

We used to swim in the canal at the start of the straight mile in Burnley (top of Plumbe St. where my Pickering grandparents lived) during the summer months in the late 1930s. The water was pretty contaminated back then -- but not nearly as bad as in the war years and later -- but we didn't care.
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 16:31   #6
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin
anybody got a photo of the swing bridge off dill hall lane,
If I can manage to remind myself I'll go round and take one. For some reason I do not like going across that bridge other than on foot. I've always had a funny thing about it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..