Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-04-2011, 20:37   #31

Re: nelson imp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Quite right wadey, was a really good local, just what local pubs were all about, it was like a little community on its own, kick one they all limped, some good traditions too like the annual pilgrimage to the rising bridge club on new years day to renew your subs, sadly that's gone too
Photo here

Rising Bridge Working Men's Club (Now a private house) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-04-2011, 22:42   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thank god iv'e actually found someone who remembers,i know i used to drink copious amounts but i was thinking i was hallucinating lol.accy con was also a great monday night in the early-mid 60s
I posted on this much earlier but it must still be in cyberspace. Would have got the T-shirt Cashy if they did them in the mid 50s. As an apprentice in Burnley, lots of the lads and lots & lots of the girls lived that area, so it was a natural place to go - Burnley Empress as well.
Old 22-04-2011, 22:46   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Would have got the T-shirt if they had them in those days Cashy - mid 50s for me, working in Burnley lots of the other apps, and lots & lots of the girls lived up that way.
Twas this Barrie "Post29" aint in cyberspace, perhaps you are?
Old 23-04-2011, 08:56   #34
Resting in Peace

Thanks wadey, I've actually seen photos of it before, Jen sent me some a while ago, its a shame really it was a nice little club, but when it was snowing or icy under foot very hard to get to and even harder to leave, the road was very steep, especially when you had a few under the belt
Old 23-04-2011, 08:59   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well plastic Mancs usually are cashy
Old 23-04-2011, 10:47   #36
Senior Member+

The chap who owned the house a few years ago, maybe he still does, was a very good carpenter and panneler. He did a chimney breast wall in an old house I owned a while back and did a great job with the panels looking like something out of a great hall.
I went to his house to pay him and he had made a fantastic job of refurbishing it.
Old 23-04-2011, 15:11   #37

My brother used to hire a 20 seater bus every Saturday night to go to the Nelson Imp mostly.Everybody met outside the Odeon and there were usually a few spare seats for passers by who decided to come too.
Great memories of the place and the groups. Never did see the Hollies there but saw them at Burnley Mecca, but we enjoyed Gerry and the Pacemakers,Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders,Freddie and the Dreamers(a great stage act and very funny),Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas, Cat Stevens and many more.
Once or twice we bypassed the Imp and headed for Liverpool...we saw Hermans Hermits at the Cavern,The Searchers(my fav group) at the Iron Door Club and we also saw a very young Cilla Black singing there.
Happy memories of days that will never return.
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 18:56   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Perhaps past my bedtime Cashy
Old 23-04-2011, 20:17   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
The chap who owned the house a few years ago, maybe he still does, was a very good carpenter and panneler. He did a chimney breast wall in an old house I owned a while back and did a great job with the panels looking like something out of a great hall.
I went to his house to pay him and he had made a fantastic job of refurbishing it.
Correct, in fact the house was featured on a TV "house" type programme, think they had a buisness on Carrs Industrial Estate
Old 23-04-2011, 22:50   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentedbutslow View Post
My brother used to hire a 20 seater bus every Saturday night to go to the Nelson Imp mostly.Everybody met outside the Odeon and there were usually a few spare seats for passers by who decided to come too.
Great memories of the place and the groups. Never did see the Hollies there but saw them at Burnley Mecca, but we enjoyed Gerry and the Pacemakers,Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders,Freddie and the Dreamers(a great stage act and very funny),Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas, Cat Stevens and many more.
Once or twice we bypassed the Imp and headed for Liverpool...we saw Hermans Hermits at the Cavern,The Searchers(my fav group) at the Iron Door Club and we also saw a very young Cilla Black singing there.
Happy memories of days that will never return.
a guy used to run one from odeon to blackpool mecca in 60s TaL that wasn't yer brother also was it?
Old 24-04-2011, 18:48   #41

Can,t remember ever going there ....no,but then again I didn,t go every week.
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 18:58   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Correct, in fact the house was featured on a TV "house" type programme, think they had a buisness on Carrs Industrial Estate
He had just about finished the house when I was last in it Bob so it must have been before the TV program, I very rarely watch TV and didn't know the program was on.
If Carrs Industrial Estate is the one off the Haslingden by-pass that's where he had his work shop then.
Old 24-04-2011, 19:24   #43

That's it, think it was Spring Vale Mill
Old 01-07-2011, 22:09   #44
Resting in Peace

I can still hear to this day the Searchers singing "Needles and Pins(Ah)" at th'Imp. The only other thing I remember about that night is trying to detach the girls from their mates and the piles of handbags they had on the floor.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 22:18   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
I can still hear to this day the Searchers singing "Needles and Pins(Ah)" at th'Imp. The only other thing I remember about that night is trying to detach the girls from their mates and the piles of handbags they had on the floor.
Like you Redraine, the one i remember was "Big D.Irwin" -Swinging On A Star, n he apologised cos the lady that sang wi him on the hit, was not yon,cos she was on a tour of her own, so he had to do it solo, the lady actually on the record was "Little Eva"

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..