Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 23:48   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Smile nelson imp

i know this is accy, but who remembers nelson imp,i only went a couple of times but there was loads from accy there-saw big dee irwin first time 2ndtime the who,what a great old place for atmosphere,mind you being exceedingly drunk may have contributed.
Old 02-05-2005, 14:47   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Smile Re: nelson imp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
i know this is accy, but who remembers nelson imp,i only went a couple of times but there was loads from accy there-saw big dee irwin first time 2ndtime the who,what a great old place for atmosphere,mind you being exceedingly drunk may have contributed.
COME ON can't believe no-body ever went to the imperial at nelson, your lives wern't that sheltered surely?lol.
Old 02-05-2005, 14:54   #3
I am Band

Question Re: nelson imp

Where abouts was the Imp in Nelson?

I once went to the 'Trop', known by it's Sunday name as El Tropicana... it almost put me off Nelson for life.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 15:30   #4
white rabbits

Re: nelson imp

we had some good times at the nelson imp,,,we also used to go to the accrington con in the late 50,s ,oh to be footloose and fancyfree again ,,,i met my hubby at the empress ballroom in burnley ..
Old 02-05-2005, 17:29   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
we had some good times at the nelson imp,,,we also used to go to the accrington con in the late 50,s ,oh to be footloose and fancyfree again ,,,i met my hubby at the empress ballroom in burnley ..
thank god iv'e actually found someone who remembers,i know i used to drink copious amounts but i was thinking i was hallucinating lol.accy con was also a great monday night in the early-mid 60s
Old 03-05-2005, 08:17   #6

Never got to Nelson Imp, but heard a lot about it, a lot of the groups at the time played there, eg, Dave Dee, D, B, M, & T, The Hollies, Wayne Fontana. Wwnt to the trop a couple of times,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 14:38   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin
Never got to Nelson Imp, but heard a lot about it, a lot of the groups at the time played there, eg, Dave Dee, D, B, M, & T, The Hollies, Wayne Fontana. Wwnt to the trop a couple of times,
dave dee lives about a mile from my apartment in spain sin him about a couple of times when i'm out there.
Old 26-06-2005, 05:49   #8

In the late 1940s a group of us used to rotate Saturday nights going to Blackpool Tower Ballroom via the "Passion Express" excursions from Burnley Bank Top (Central now) station -- or to the Nelson "Imp" via BC&N corporation bus from Burnley town center.

Always a great orchestra and jitterbugging at the Imp -- at intermission it was up the hill to sneak a couple of pints at the Pub -- at the end of the evening hiking back up the hill to catch the last train to Burnley (11:30 I believe) -- the driver would blow the whistle to hurry up the stragglers. We missed the train many times -- then it was off to walk back to Burnley (not a big deal in those days), stopping for meat and potato pies at a shop about half way back to Burnley.

Oh, happy days!
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2005, 13:44   #9
Resident Waffler

For some reason I never went any further than Burnley in that direction in my younger days.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 17:09   #10

hi, i remember the imp,i was ther when it burnt to the ground another good place gone forever mal
madmal_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 17:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist
Where abouts was the Imp in Nelson?

I once went to the 'Trop', known by it's Sunday name as El Tropicana... it almost put me off Nelson for life.
i thing the eltrop is still going still a dump as well
madmal_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 23:39   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmal_1
hi, i remember the imp,i was ther when it burnt to the ground another good place gone forever mal

my mums cousin owned it at the time!!!!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 00:42   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesicus
We missed the train many times -- then it was off to walk back to Burnley (not a big deal in those days), stopping for meat and potato pies at a shop about half way back to Burnley.

Oh, happy days!
just reminded me and made me laugh jamesicus, although we missed the train many times after the mirabelle in blackburn and had to walk back to accrington. happy days indeed! unfortunatly just memories now its a shame we have to grow up lol
Old 12-11-2005, 05:57   #14
Senior Member+

Sorry never made it to the Imp. Walked home many a night from the Blackburn Mecca though and once or twice from the Ace Of Spades in Whalley.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:28   #15
mez
God Member

Inever did go to the nelson imp. but went to the rawtenstall astoria a couple of times,did do the mecca, mirabelle,tony's in blackburn all great places for "bopping" as we did then ....as was accy con (monday nights) empire ossy once went to morts. then it was the vic in clayton oooo didn't i "bop" my teen years away .......i loved um all.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..