Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2005, 14:20   #76
Beacon of light

Re: Old TV, Radio & Films

Someone way back in this thread mentioned Relayvision Radio.......I remember that. My Auntie lived in Walsden and she had NO ELECTRIC in her house but she had Relayvision Radio.....four Channels......I think it was 9d per week. I used to call it GAS radio.
I used to listen to 'Friday Night is Music Night' and Dick Barton.....we used to listen to lots of radio plays too.....and we would sit there in the firelight.....Auntie used to say there wasn't enough gas to run the light AND the radio.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-12-2005, 11:09   #77
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Old TV, Radio & Films

In 1953 I used to work for UniRelays on Abbey Street and in all weathers we used to go around installing a third radio channel to customers district by district. Rishton, Huncoat, Clayton, Haslingden, Church, Oswaldtwistle and of course Accrington. It was Radio Luxembourg to complement the Home Service and Light Programme. With the advent of TV becoming available I was switched to installing TV aerials.

Apart from Dick Barton Special Agent my other favourite radio - sorry I mean wireless programme was Valetine Dyall’s Man In Black I think it was called.

I have recently bought 23 volumes (4 shows per volume) of the famous Goon Show and haven’t stopped laughing since.

Very useful URL djd – thanks! Although Journey Into Space is no longer listed.

Old 05-12-2005, 15:45   #78
white rabbits

every sunday we would listen to family favourites and the billy cotton band show.while we made and then ate our dinner,,,,ah memouries
Old 05-12-2005, 21:10   #79

Then the navey Lark and then at night Sing something Simple, before turning TV on for Sunday night at the London Palladium.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 23:39   #80
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin
Then the navey Lark and then at night Sing something Simple, before turning TV on for Sunday night at the London Palladium.
oh now i cant get the sing something simple signiture tune off my mind
Old 06-12-2005, 00:03   #81
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
oh now i cant get the sing something simple signiture tune off my mind
you got me at it now granny-was me mams favorite.lol
Old 13-01-2006, 02:14   #82

Can anyone remember 'itma' on radio' which included a cleaning woman whose intro was' can I do you now sir' ( Tommy Hanlon? no that can't be right) Could anyone remember The name of the radio show with Jimmy Edwards and his trombone, it's on the tip of my tongue and driving me crazy. It was a very funny show and came onto tele later. And then there was silly Roy Castle with his drum playing and his damn trumpet. also I remember Charlie Drake.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 03:08   #83

Now I remember it was 'Take it from here. I think? Does anyone remember Shirley Abacair and her zither . Arthur Askey. Rolf Harris with his hand puppet dog. Who can't forget the Dagenham girl pipers who used to feature on tv occasionally. Z-cars mentioned a while back with Jeremy Kemp and Brian Blessed. I can still whistle the sig tune.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 21:36   #84

Sunday's after family favourites, Billy Cotton's band show, his theme tune, somebody stoll my girl. Spot the tune, with Marion Ryan. Take your pick, with Michael Miles, Bob Danvers Walker. Scene at six thirty, with Brian Truman, Mike Parkinson. from the north this is Granada. Thats all for now folks.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 23:33   #85
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
Does anyone remember Shirley Abacair and her zither .
i do...she sang little boy fishing off a wooden pier....
Old 13-01-2006, 23:36   #86
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin
Sunday's after family favourites, Billy Cotton's band show, his theme tune, somebody stoll my girl. Spot the tune, with Marion Ryan. ..
she had twin boys paul and barry ryan,,, they were singers for a while,,,then vanished into thin air..
Old 14-01-2006, 02:47   #87
Senior Member+

I remember "take your pick" and also "opportunity knocks" with Hughie Green.
I went to Malta with the Airforce in the early seventies and they had just got a program from the BBC that was being advertised all over the Island as a new religious program for Sunday nights, Malta was a very Catholic place and the locals were excited about the new TV program and the churches decided that they would have an early service so everyone could be home in time, 7.30, to watch.........Till Death us do Part.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 13:56   #88
Resting in peace

I still love Round the Horne and Beyond our Ken, with Kenneth Horne, Kenny Williams, Hugh Paddick and Betty Marsden. Anyone else remember Chou En Ginsberg, the communist spy? or Jules and Sandy? and Rambling Sid Rumpo, the folk singer? I have quite a few of them on tape, and they still make me laugh.

Hancock's Half Hour was another classic, later transferred to television.

Sunday afternoons - Family Favourites with lunch, Billy Cotton Band Show, The Navy Lark, Beyond our Ken, and at 3 o'clock Carousel, rounding off with Fluff and "Hello Pop-pickers" on Pick of the Pops. Sing Something Simple came later, always referred to in my family as "Sing Something Sinful". They never did, though.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 21:16   #89
Accy Goddess

Charlie Drake was so funny. I could only watch it when I was stopping at my Nanna's.
Loved take your pick.
I remember listening to Paul n Barry Rhyan. I used to think they were dead good.
Pinky & Perky.
Ready Steady Go & Oh Boy. Were another two favorites of mine.
Another Brilliant programme was Dixon Of Dock Green with Jack Warner.
" Evening All "
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 01:41   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
Can anyone remember 'itma' on radio' which included a cleaning woman whose intro was' can I do you now sir' ( Tommy Hanlon? no that can't be right) Could anyone remember The name of the radio show with Jimmy Edwards and his trombone, it's on the tip of my tongue and driving me crazy. It was a very funny show and came onto tele later. And then there was silly Roy Castle with his drum playing and his damn trumpet. also I remember Charlie Drake.
Tommy Handley's ITMA ("It's That Man Again") was by far the most popular variety Wireless radio program during and immediately after WW2. We followed the humorous antics of Mrs Mop ("can I do you now sir?" and TTFN "Ta Ta For Now") , the inept German spy "Funf" and Colonel Chinstrap ("I don't mind if I do") with rapt attention -- it was a great show and a fine tonic relief. An online resource not to be missed (includes excerpts from actual programs) can be found at: http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/radio/itma.htm
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..