Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 22:42   #16
Accy Goddess

Re: Pianoforte lessons -My regret

My parents couldn't afford to send me for private lessons. I loved music at school though and had a piano at home.
I couldn't seem to master playing the piano with both hands, so took up playing the recorder and progressed to playing the clarinet with the school orchestra.
I had just joined the Preston youth Orchestra when I met Mick and gave it all up.
I have had lots of regrets over the years that I didn't continue.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-10-2006, 23:46   #17
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunny
I used to live near Mrs Bridge in Avenue Parade. She was next door to where Paracetamol was created.
Paracetamol was invented in Accy????????????

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 23:51   #18
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp

That might explain why I take so many of the bl^^dy things

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 00:15   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunny
I used to live near Mrs Bridge in Avenue Parade. She was next door to where Paracetamol was created.
hey tunny you started summat there,tell us more about it please.
Old 13-10-2006, 02:38   #20
Yank in King Art's Court!

My dad could play piano very well but raqrely did. He made sure both my sisters played and they both still do. My oldest sister also plays the guitar and the clarinet. My oldest brother played the clarinet. My youngest brother played the clarinet, bass guitar and the saxaphone

Me being in the middle got off without doing anything when young but have now played the harmonica for ~30 years. Play with a band at church.

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 23:46   #21

I started piano lessons as soon as I was six - with Mrs. Hill at 6 Paddock Street, Oswaldtwistle. She said she'd take me as soon as I could read. I still have a notebook somewhere where I used to practise drawing treble and bass clefs. Lessons were 2/6 (half a crown) and she used to give me a bag of dolly mixtures to take home. Then I went to Mrs. Hall on Charter Street and finally to Mrs. Merigold (music teacher at Rhyddings School). Although I was never a good pianist I was good at theory and found that all this knowledge came in useful much later when I started singing in choirs (in my 30s).
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:06   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
Although I was never a good pianist I was good at theory and found that all this knowledge came in useful much later when I started singing in choirs (in my 30s).
And still doing it Judith ... isn't this you at the Coppice Celebratory event this year .... at the end ...

100 Years Coppice 003.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 14:56   #23
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
I started piano lessons as soon as I was six - with Mrs. Hill at 6 Paddock Street, Oswaldtwistle. She said she'd take me as soon as I could read. I still have a notebook somewhere where I used to practise drawing treble and bass clefs. Lessons were 2/6 (half a crown) and she used to give me a bag of dolly mixtures to take home. Then I went to Mrs. Hall on Charter Street and finally to Mrs. Merigold (music teacher at Rhyddings School). Although I was never a good pianist I was good at theory and found that all this knowledge came in useful much later when I started singing in choirs (in my 30s).
I remember going to Mrs Hill for piano lessons ! wow Judith...you've certainly just jogged my memory. My dad, who was a local gents hairdresser was a good pianist & often played for local concerts / panto's etc; he eventually gave up on me ever taking my lessons seriously, I gave it up & yes lived to regret it .
Cybernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 15:10   #24
God Member

I took flute and clarinet lessons at school and regret giving up them both.

I tried to learn piano when I was on maternity leave with Maddie but it was probably the wrong time to start.

I can sort of read music - a little bit.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 16:48   #25
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post

Yes. Parrots Eat em All.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 09:04   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I took flute and clarinet lessons at school and regret giving up them both.

I tried to learn piano when I was on maternity leave with Maddie but it was probably the wrong time to start.

I can sort of read music - a little bit.
I'll bet your neighbors are pleased you gave up Gayle as for reading music I can sight read to an extent, through my involvement with groups in the sixties and seventies

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..