Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2006, 15:35   #1
Resting in Peace

Pianoforte lessons -My regret

Who regrets giving up some of the private lessons your parents sent you to when you were a kid?

I do. Used to go to Mrs. Bridge's piano lessons on Avenue Parade, you went to her first and then passed on to Mr Bridge as you progressed. Wouldn't get my head down to practice when I got home. Have regrets now.

Went to Miss Harker's dancing school on Church Street 'cause me Mum got tired of me dancing on the bit of linoleum all night to Palm Court. Got fed up with the cold premises and the discipline .. liked to do me own freestyle (still do when a few bacardi/cokes down me !). Have regrets now.

Then it was singing lessons with Mr. Allen at Rawtenstall, but found the journey on two buses too tiresome. Have regrets now.

Later in life, did go to Jean Willis to get my LAMDA gold medal. Still gave up after this. Have regrets now.

Then went to Brian on Queen's Road again for singing lessons, needed 'em. Watch videos now and realised how he improved me. Can't sing a note now 'cause of the fags. Have regrets now.

See .. could have been a big West End star by now.

Any young people reading this .. keep at it .. and then, hopefully, you won't have any regrets.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-07-2006, 17:38   #2
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Pianoforte lessons -My regret

Both my parents were excellent pianists having both studied piano for years (my mum had 15 years of lessons from the age of 3) so, as a child, I wanted to learn too. I started at 7 and had lessons for 2 years then got fed up. My mum, remembering how she had been forbidden to stop her own lessons, didn't make me continue and I regret it so much now. I can play a little but I do so wish I could play effortlessly and expertly like she did.
Old 30-07-2006, 22:14   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender
Both my parents were excellent pianists having both studied piano for years (my mum had 15 years of lessons from the age of 3) so, as a child, I wanted to learn too. I started at 7 and had lessons for 2 years then got fed up. My mum, remembering how she had been forbidden to stop her own lessons, didn't make me continue and I regret it so much now. I can play a little but I do so wish I could play effortlessly and expertly like she did.
Exactly West Ender, my experience too, my mum played piano, my dad violin and bass in dancebands.

Are many kids going to piano lessons these days ? Have a lovely friend in Ossy who teaches piano and plays for Accy Theatre Group. Admire her greatly. Sent my son to her late in his teens, he has no musical ability whatsoever, and had to give up when he went to University, however, at least he can read music now, just another string to his bow. Hi Trish, if you ever get time to look in .....
Old 06-08-2006, 00:00   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

we had a piano when i was young, but i never got past ba ba black sheep, much to my regret as i got older always wanted to play like jerry lee lewis, such is life.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:17   #5

I used to live near Mrs Bridge in Avenue Parade. She was next door to where Paracetamol was created.
Tunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex

Are many kids going to piano lessons these days ? ..
My son has violin lessons, at the mo he loves them and can`t imagine giving them up.. wether he stays like that only time will tell, i guess i can just allow him, encourage him, but not pressurise him or nag him.

His teacher also teaches Piano, and she seems to have a lot of young pupils. And there are a few kids in his class at school that have piano lesons.

Must be lovely to just sit at the piano and create beautiful music.

I only just about managed the recorder!!

Have any of you thought about re starting the lessons you had as children and going back to the interest as adults?
those were the days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 18:03   #7
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I went to piano lessons at Mrs Sergeant's house on Avenue Parade. I loved it there, she was so kind. Unfortunately she was run over and killed at the bottom of Ave Pde and I ended up going to Mrs Bridge. She was horrible, constantly shouting and criticising. She used to bang your fingers down onto the keyboard and damn near break your fingernails. IMO she was unfit to teach and totally put me off learning the piano.... I regret giving up the lessons but I don't regret giving up the lessons with Mrs Bridge.

I also did ballet, tap dancing, elocution and gymnastics for a time. I grew too tall to ever be a serious dancer, I also have 2 left feet which doesn't help...

I was in the school drama group for 5 years and always got a good part in the school productions but didn't continue with the drama when I left school..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 18:10   #8
Beacon of light

My parents couldn't afford to send me to any of those kind of activities......though both my Mum and dad played the piano,my dad also played the violin. I always wanted to learn to play the piano,and to learn to tap dance. I think it is too late now...and in any case I have the sense of rhythm of a hippo.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 21:30   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
My parents couldn't afford to send me to any of those kind of activities......though both my Mum and dad played the piano,my dad also played the violin. I always wanted to learn to play the piano,and to learn to tap dance. I think it is too late now...and in any case I have the sense of rhythm of a hippo.
Well, even Hippos have rhythm Margaret ... thump, thump, thump, thump .. could always try the drums .. tee hee.

Hope you had a wonderful holiday by the way. Glad you back .. too any men this week.
Old 06-08-2006, 21:48   #10
God Member

My mum made my both my sisters and bro have piano lessons. Bro who is nearest in age to me started skipping off and spending the money so mum didnt send me to lessons. My niece who is 12 is having piano lessons and has done for the last 4 maybe 5 years. Both my nephews are learning the guitar and another niece had keyboard/piano lessons for around 10 years and ended up teaching keyboards at the place where she learnt.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 21:58   #11
Member.

We had a big black Upright Piano when we lived at Church. My dad could play, so could my grandparents but we never learnt to play. I’ve bought three Guitars over the last few years the last one a Cort, I still haven’t managed to learn how to play it. I took lessons locally but give up after five weeks.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 22:08   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
We had a big black Upright Piano when we lived at Church. My dad could play, so could my grandparents but we never learnt to play. I’ve bought three Guitars over the last few years the last one a Cort, I still haven’t managed to learn how to play it. I took lessons locally but give up after five weeks.
Yeh, Doug, but do you regret it ? If still got guitar, why not give yourself a birthday treat and try again... still young enough. I started to teach myself guitar until some b**tch pinched it off me.. thought was good .. not too difficult if you have a grounding of learning piano first. Just ruined me nails like.

Sorry 'bout yer back... could have got a Accyweb posse together to help you out .
Old 06-08-2006, 22:26   #13
Member.

The back is much better now thanking you. I did it last weekend graveling the front garden, thinking I was 27 and not acting my age.

I’ve still have the Cort and yes I do regret giving up. My father could play; he also played the Double Base in a band when he was in the RAF. But I don’t think I inherited any of his musical side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00800.JPG (145.6 KB, 23 views)

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 17:01   #14
Resting in peace

I did piano lessons, first of all with Mr Addison and later with Tom Bridges. He was a great teacher. I haven't had a piano for years, and probably couldn't play much now without a long time of practice - which is a total waste when you consider that I could play sonatas and concertos at one time. Went to dancing class with Anne ? - she married a teacher and they were always in the papers because they educated their children at home rather than sending them to school, and were constantly getting fined for it. Also Miss Leslie at Paddock House - speech and drama. Loved it - my best friend in the group ended up at RADA and is now a theatrical agent. I did a couple of seasons in rep, but had developed expensive habits like eating and wearing shoes, so went back to the day job.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 17:01   #15
Resting in peace

And yes, I do regret not carrying on with all of them .....
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..