Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2003, 07:31   #16
Senior Member+

Post Re: School Dinners

Manchester Tart now that even had the girls that were on diets going back for seconds
Old 04-09-2003, 12:32   #17

does anyone know the reciepe for that? and I don't mean high heals, fishnets and bright red lippy ;D
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:40   #18
Caz
God Member

Nice one little mo!

Just a basic pastry case with a layer of rasberry jam at the bottom. sliced bananas on top of that and ordinary custard with a few more banana slices in the middle. Then hundreds & thousands on the top.
Made it myself a few times and it tasted just like the school stuff, so don't think there's anything else to it.  

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 13:59   #19
Senior Member+

Dont remember m.tart being made with 100s and1000s had coconut on top when i was a lass. yummy yummy. :P
Old 04-09-2003, 14:19   #20
Accy Goddess

M'tart always topped with coconut and a red cherry on the top.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 14:26   #21
Caz
God Member

Can't remember having it with coconut on. always 100s & 1000s at school. Although undoubtedly the original  recipe would probably have been with coconut.  

- Oscar Wilde
Old 04-09-2003, 17:40   #22
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Oooooh, got my mouth watering now, thanks for the recipe, always been a big fan of manchester tart, and it sounds so easy to do that even I might have a go at it.
Forgot to mention, have the culinary skills of a 4 year old  :-[

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 17:48   #23
Caz
God Member

Hate cooking. Only make something from scratch when I absolutely have to these days. Or if someone wants a special treat.
Besides, once over it may have been cheaper to do it, but not any more.

Who was it said "life's too short to stuff a mushroom"?
There's always something better I could be doing.  

- Oscar Wilde
Old 04-09-2003, 21:10   #24

hey lettie remember making those pastry things with your gran, filled with raisens and topped with suger,,,,dead fly pie??? sorry forgotten what they are really called!
Old 04-09-2003, 22:10   #25
Caz
God Member

Sounds like what we used to call Sad Cake!  ;D

- Oscar Wilde
Old 05-09-2003, 01:21   #26

eccles cakes! thats it I just couldn't remember, a bit sleep deprived at present, memories gone!
Old 05-09-2003, 08:56   #27
Accy Goddess

Sad cake short crust, with no sugar on top.
Perhaps we should start a recipe secton girls. Or Boys wont be sexist hubby does cooking in my house unless kids over for tea.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:28   #28
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

used to make sad cake and dead fly pie with my gran, sad cake was lovely with a thick layer of butter on it. Still love dead fly pie (eccles cakes) now. Think I will visit Asda this morning and stock up. [smiley=idea.gif]

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2003, 17:23   #29
Senior Member+

Cannot remeber the coconut but i remember the cherry.Wife has made me download the recipe.Maybe we will be in for a treat at the weekend.Problem will be the Custard.We cannot get that over here.Only a vannilla flavoured thing that tastes nothing like it at all.
thanks for posting the recipe Cazzer
Old 18-09-2003, 20:37   #30
Accy Goddess

She can always make her own fresh custard. Using milk,cream, sugar and a vannilla pod. Never made fresh custard so she would have to check a recipe.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..