Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2010, 14:42   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Stiched in ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post

Bathing became more frequent in Tudor times when Queen Elizabeth I set the trend by bathing once a month.
Quote:
The camphor blocks were in use in our lifetimes (we have a mutual friend who was subjected to it)
Wasn't referring to camphor blocks, but the bathing bit.
Old 30-09-2010, 15:03   #17

In ye olde days they used to stitch in the boyfriend if he came round to stay - to prevent any hanky panky.

Nowdays people just get stitched up instead.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 17:31   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I know that camphor blocks were 'stitched in' to vests and liberty bodices in winter, as an attempt to avert colds.

Bathing became more frequent in Tudor times when Queen Elizabeth I set the trend by bathing once a month.
My mum used to insist I wore a liberty bodice when I was young to protect my chest, some bloody use they were
Old 01-10-2010, 14:15   #19
Beacon of light

I used to bite bits off the rubber buttons on my liberty bodices.......so much so that the buttons never stayed closed.
My Ma put paid to that by changing them for those horrid metal buttons covered in white cotton cloth.......I couldn't bite lumps off those!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 14:29   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I used to bite bits off the rubber buttons on my liberty bodices.......so much so that the buttons never stayed closed.
My Ma put paid to that by changing them for those horrid metal buttons covered in white cotton cloth.......I couldn't bite lumps off those!

This is why we all love your Ma.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 15:02   #21
Beacon of light

Aaaaaawwww! Thanks Kate, I will tell her you said that....i just know it will make her smile. I bet she has forgotten how she used to find bits of grey rubber button under my bed......I wasn't so daft as to actually eat the rubber....I just bit them to bits and chucked the bitten bits under the bed.
The other thing about the cotton covered metal buttons was, they used to get spoiled if you forgot to position the garment porperly when you were putting them through the mangle.....once mangled, well they were no good as buttons anymore.

See, now everyone knows I had a rubber fetish.
Old 18-12-2010, 19:00   #22

My wife reckons that children were stitched into their underwear for the winter and that they had button flaps at the back so they could go to the toilet. Seems more trouble than it's worth to me.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 09:45   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Cornwall View Post
My wife reckons that children were stitched into their underwear for the winter and that they had button flaps at the back so they could go to the toilet. Seems more trouble than it's worth to me.
Wouldn't want to be sat next to a kid like that
Old 20-12-2010, 19:35   #24

Just found this, it explains about stitching children into their underwear. Yuk

THE WAY WE WERE

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 20:10   #25
Beacon of light

Well all that must have been a blooming long time ago because neither I, nor my Ma(who is a well travelled lady of 83...don't tell her I said that) have no knowledge of anything like that...in fact both my mother and her mother were very very particular about personal hygiene....however cold it was, you were encouraged to strip off and wash all those intricate little places every day!
Old 21-12-2010, 09:03   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well all that must have been a blooming long time ago because neither I, nor my Ma(who is a well travelled lady of 83...don't tell her I said that) have no knowledge of anything like that...in fact both my mother and her mother were very very particular about personal hygiene....however cold it was, you were encouraged to strip off and wash all those intricate little places every day!
Ya I used to wash my ears and back of mi neck everyday too Margaret

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..