Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2006, 22:25   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: The elastic that held up ya' socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNE
First the flesh went from white to red,then a nasty purple colour that hurt and stung at the same time.
That's Correct !!

Best about Accyweb is that you can 'come out' and have group therapy and admit to all the nasty things that happened to you when you were a kid and now realise no need to be on yer own anymore

Margaret .. put a button in my suspenders .. couldn't risk losing a sixpence for heavens sake ! My mum always cut the buttons off discarded clothes, and had a biscuit box absolutely full of 'em. Loved looking through them as I got older and remembered some of the garments I'd had.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-02-2006, 10:04   #17
mez
God Member

me too katex money was too precious.had to roll my skirt up round the waist because dad wouldn't let me have um shorter.mind you he blasted me good & proper when the mini came in ......oooo mine were short he he he.i was married too. a well memories
Old 01-02-2006, 17:54   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
me too katex money was too precious.had to roll my skirt up round the waist because dad wouldn't let me have um shorter.mind you he blasted me good & proper when the mini came in ......oooo mine were short he he he.i was married too. a well memories
Dare I mention 'hot pants' Had a yellow crimplene all in one .. must have looked 'a site' eh ? Could have done with me long socks then, no doubt.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 22:37   #19
Accy Goddess

I had to roll my skirts up because I wasn't allowed to wear them short.
I had a pair of bright red hot pants with a matching button up the front mini skirt.
I cringe now when I think about that skirt.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:21   #20
Resting in peace

What do you mean, Margaret - old??!!

I still wear stockings with suspenders, can't stand tights, they're unhygienic as well. Why cover your bottom when all you want to cover is your legs? And no, I'm not old, not even maturing - more marinating!

I used to roll my skirt up round my waist as well - we must have looked very odd, short skirt and huge lumpy waist. I think I had the first miniskirt in Accy, back in the 60s. That's why tights came in, cos the mini showed your stocking tops if it was short enough, and mine was.

At Paddock House stockings (60 denier minimum) were part of the winter uniform, along with other items designed to provoke mirth from the Tech boys - Westender will remember only too well!

Anybody remember Liberty bodices? - a sort of thick lumpy vest that itched.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 22:14   #21
Accy Goddess

Ah,remember them well. Horrid uncomfy things with tiny fiddly buttons up the front.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:58   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
......when the button fell off you used a sixpence......
I think the reference to a sixpence dates you (and me) somewhat

I went through a phase of using stockings when I was in my early 20's and it turned out that my mum (brought up during the war and all that) had kept all her old stockings from the 50's because she couldn't bring herself to throw them away when they went out of fashion and she'd kept them all that time!

However, these were 'industrial strength' stockings which didn't stretch so much and so I couldn't use them as they didn't fit! (she was quite thin when she was in her 20's and I was a little rounder )
Finch_brfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 16:25   #23
Resting in peace

David got a job lot of stockings at a charity shop - the old Aristoc ones, with seams. Only trouble is, they are so short, they stop just above my knee, and they don't stretch at all. Have put my hand through a couple just trying to pull them up - and that brings back memories!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..