Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2006, 21:51   #1
Resting in Peace

The elastic that held up ya' socks.

Bin ta' gym, wore ankle socks and Oh dear! changed into swimming cossie, after very mild workout you understand. Deep inverted rings round the ankle area, not sitting very well with the cellulite.
Reminded me of the elastic mothers used to give us to hold up our winter socks .. they were made of elastic tied in a knot and invariably lost during the day so that one sock would be up, one round yer ankles like 'Just William'. As long socks were the apparel of winter, taking these off at night was an excruciating experience ... legs cold from the frost and by hek! did the elastic marks itch for a while, used to scratch until they nearly bled, apart from cutting your circulation off for most of the day of course. Some things have definitely improved.
Do men still wear those suspender things for socks, can't see the point myself, and was never privvy to where exactly they were put, below the knee or above.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-01-2006, 22:16   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: The elastic that held up ya' socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Bin ta' gym, wore ankle socks and Oh dear! changed into swimming cossie, after very mild workout you understand. Deep inverted rings round the ankle area, not sitting very well with the cellulite.
Reminded me of the elastic mothers used to give us to hold up our winter socks .. they were made of elastic tied in a knot and invariably lost during the day so that one sock would be up, one round yer ankles like 'Just William'. As long socks were the apparel of winter, taking these off at night was an excruciating experience ... legs cold from the frost and by hek! did the elastic marks itch for a while, used to scratch until they nearly bled, apart from cutting your circulation off for most of the day of course. Some things have definitely improved.
Do men still wear those suspender things for socks, can't see the point myself, and was never privvy to where exactly they were put, below the knee or above.
Yes people still wear them. It was one of the less exciting things I had to buy in my old job.

They are worn in the middle of the calf, with the little suspender type fastner holding up a quarter hose sock [short sock.]

There are also sock suspenders for three quarter hose socks [knee length ones.] They are really very much like the knotted bits of elastic of old, and are mainly used for shooting, or to wear with plus twos or fours.

All sock suspenders aren't that good for your circulation.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 22:30   #3
Accy Goddess

I only had to put lastic on my socks when the elastic went.
It was horrible.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 22:36   #4
Give, give, give member

At least Kate's Mum didn't fasten her socks together with elastic, like they used to with mittens so you didn't loose one.

That would have produced some dreadful chaffing.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 23:00   #5
Accy Goddess

Ugh!......Those awful elasticated Mitten's now they were worse than the flippin sock's.
Old 30-01-2006, 11:47   #6
white rabbits

our gloves were on a long piece of string and threaded down each sleeve
Old 30-01-2006, 17:53   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
At least Kate's Mum didn't fasten her socks together with elastic, like they used to with mittens so you didn't loose one.

That would have produced some dreadful chaffing.
Aaah the mittens, yes, but at least you didn't lose one.

Used to chaff my legs anyway as was quite chubby and top of legs met in the middle rubbing together .. worse in the cold. Also think when I was little used to have one or two 'accidents' .. used to giggle a lot ... and didn't help
Old 30-01-2006, 19:21   #8
Beacon of light

Talking about suspenders...what about the ladies version......when the button fell off you used a sixpence......the older ladies on here will know exactly what I'm talking about. That was the era before tights. Does that make me very old then?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 19:21   #9
Beacon of light

Talking about suspenders...what about the ladies version......when the button fell off you used a sixpence......the older ladies on here will know exactly what I'm talking about. That was the era before tights. Does that make me very old then?
Old 31-01-2006, 11:21   #10

Afraid so Margaret ...............and

Afraid so Margaret

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 11:58   #11
Beacon of light

John.....I was looking to be cheered up......and told 'Of course not!.....just mature' Now you have gone and dashed my hopes.......I should perhaps have told you that i was only 18 months old when I started to wear suspenders
Old 31-01-2006, 13:26   #12
Resident Waffler

I remember the awful elastic holding my long white socks up! Didn't the top of your legs get really cold in the winter? Mine did. Even though I had a skirt down to my knees and socks up to my knees it was always the tops of my legs that felt the cold. There, and my nose!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 14:40   #13
Clearly Classy.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
they were made of elastic tied in a knot and invariably lost during the day so that one sock would be up, one round yer ankles like 'Just William'.
I hope you didn't scweem & scweem & scweem until you were sick!!!

My Gallery My Albums
Romps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 18:00   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romps
I hope you didn't scweem & scweem & scweem until you were sick!!!

Oh, my Gawd Romps ... looks just like that me when I was little, don't think I had a speech impediment though
Old 31-01-2006, 21:16   #15
Accy Goddess

First the flesh went from white to red,then a nasty purple colour that hurt and stung at the same time.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..