Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-11-2004, 18:03   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

The proper deck

Well, I finally got round to it, I've been promising myself for quite a number of years now that I would drag my record player out of the spare room & get it set up down in the living room (lounge for those of you on 50K or more per annum).

Like every-one else of my age the idea was to get all those albums that I haven't heard for years transferred to mp3 format on my p.c. just so that I could hear them again.

I won't bore you with the artists I am listening to, after all they are part of my memories not yours. Suffice it to say that I have not got as far as transferring them,because one of the bonuses of searching out my old equipment was coming across a pair of real & proper bins, not your mamby pampby little earphones covered in pieces of foam that leave all around you listening to ctcha, chtca, scrape, scrape scratch, scratch. No, I'm talking about a decent set from the late sixties early seventies that would block off every sound prior to you actually putting music through them & once you've turned the volume up to full will treat your ears to the heat of an 850w micro-wave.

O.K. I can imagine you saying (at the moment I would have to lip read), so get things transferred & use this retro-kit with your P.C. but no, I have decided that if I was to transfer my (& they ARE my), sounds over to the P.C. I would also have to remove the rumbles, the scritch, scritch between tracks & the Oh, yes that scratch that was from when we were all pi**ed that night and some-one used this L.P. as a frisby.

So now whilst I am frying whats left of my sanity in a large portion of nostalgia all I can say is I love my juke box & the many tracks I have on my P.C. but all the old rumbles & scratches are each one an individual memory & I will keep them as they are.

Just one last thing, Roy now that you no longer do your D.J. thing can I have the rest of my record collection back please? For some reason I would like to listen to my 45's as well.

Last edited by Less; 20-11-2004 at 19:07.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-11-2004, 18:11   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: The proper deck

How do you (I mean you personally Less) go about transferring from vynil to PC? It's a long winded process chez Whisp.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2004, 18:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
How do you (I mean you personally Less) go about transferring from vynil to PC? It's a long winded process chez Whisp.
I could tell you Willow & although it isn't that difficult, I won't, (yesterday I would have done), all I can say is nature put those scratches in the records who are we to play God & take them out?

Old 20-11-2004, 19:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Just for you willow, (so if your name isn't willow stop reading this). Computer Active Issue 175 has a very good article on how to do it, they also have a very good web site, everything in plain English, http://www.computeractive.co.uk/ O.k. Computeractive there is your plug now how about a review of accyweb?

If you can't find a copy/back copy from them I will gladly lend (lend meaning not on a permenent basis) you my copy o.k.?

this might also help it's from the howstuffworks site seems like a few free downloads etc see what you think, http://www.howstuffworks.com/search.php

Last edited by Less; 20-11-2004 at 19:14.
Old 20-11-2004, 23:42   #5
Resident Waffler

I shall have a read of those when my brain is awake.

My method involves a machine upstairs which is not connected to a machine downstairs neither of which are connected to my PC, so also involves a certain amount of to-ing and fro-ing with discs and the like.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..