Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2005, 00:57   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Tide Marks - Yuk

What a mind of information you are Doug .. ta .... x for you ... sleep well.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-11-2005, 01:00   #32
Member.

Madam, you are always very welcome, Sleep tight.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 14:35   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
o strewth we used to have the red carbolic block ....then we started buying cammay ,,,,,,,can anyone remember that one .
Funny how you can smell these soaps when they are mentioned.
Thought I was the Cat's whiskers when me mum bought bar of pink Camay.
Do you remember the jingle (any crotchet icons on here by the way)
'You'll be a little lovelier each day, with beautiful pink Camay' la, la.
Lovely smell, however, the perfume content used to bring me out in dry patches . so that bit the dust.
Old 05-11-2005, 15:36   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
o strewth we used to have the red carbolic block ....then we started buying cammay ,,,,,,,can anyone remember that one .
Do you mean red carbolic or cammy? If cammy, sure you can still buy it.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 15:40   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
i dont know if we were mean but when the pears soap got to its last legs it was slotted into a new block so that every last bit was used ,
i still do that now.old habbits die hard
No you're not been mean. I always fill the washing up bottle with water when it's all gone, gets another couple of days out of it, and i don't consider myself as mean. Others might though.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 15:55   #36
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara
Do you mean red carbolic or cammy? If cammy, sure you can still buy it.
Cammy is alive and well and was seen on sale in Sainsbury’s this afternoon. It’s strange the things we do after spending a evening on here.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 05-11-2005, 18:48   #37
Resting in Peace

That's sad, Doug, having said that since joining this site last week am now looking more at my town.
Old 05-11-2005, 19:22   #38
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
That's sad, Doug, having said that since joining this site last week am now looking more at my town.
Thank you Kate, I don't really need to be reminded of that fact. You'll end up the same, just wait and see..............

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 05-11-2005, 20:30   #39
Accy Goddess

I do that with my washing up liquid Sarah.
Waist not want for not an all that.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 15:00   #40
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

We had a bath in our house and my mum used to bath all three of us together on Sunday evening. My dad wouldn't let us waste water by having separate baths. I remember Camay soap and we also used Pears sometimes and like GC we wasted none of it. If we had no soap or shampoo my mum used to wash us with washing up liquid..

My mate always had a tide mark at the back of her neck and her mum used to scrub it with a toothbrush over the kitchen sink. She wouldn't have minded but she was 14 by then.

Despite having bathrooms and showers now, there is still no shortage of dirty, smelly people around. You only need to visit Netto to spot them. Over the years I have had several women at my clinics who are strangers to soap and water. It is unpleasant to have to examine dirty people and I did resort to actually asking them if they had had a wash recently.....Yuk!!!

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:52   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Yeh, just missing how ya' put up the quote you are replying to .. how ya' do that please ? will avoid any misunderstanding in the future tee hee. Was replying to the Sarah's #15 .. just too many in between like.
Got to agree with u Katex. lol
Old 07-11-2005, 08:19   #42
Resident Waffler

Wasn't there a blue Camay once? Do they still do that one too?

Soap is one of my pet "things" along with bath bombs. I love to buy smelly soaps from Lush and Pink but have to remember to have a none girly one or two for Busman too.

I hate showers where you can't remove the showerhead and it all comes down on top of you with terrific force. I don't feel that you can get properly clean under one of those and I also get the claustrophobic feelings with all the water coming down. I like a shower head you can lift off and move around. I also prefer it coming at me slightly sideways at an angle. It's not so overpowering that way. For some reason I find shower curtains less claustrophobic than panels too. We had a panel and we've changed it for a curtain (with dolphins on) and I find it much nicer.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2005, 13:03   #43
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
You had a puddle? Sheer luxury Ossy, It wasn’t until the mid 60s that we got our “Hand Me Down” Tin Bath that had a hole at the top left hand corner, previously it had been use as a water troth on Church Bridge farm… I digress, until that fateful day we could only wash when it rained heavy, we had to take turns under the broken bit of drain pipe outside of Mrs Hammers shop on corner of Church St and John St…………
EEH ECK - a whole drainpipe all to yourself? You had it easy lad. When we lived int' coal ole undert' street, we never had owt like that. We had to run around when it rained and catch as many drops as we could - and nowt posh like soap, it were a bit of donkey stone to rub thisen down wi.

Perhaps we could find a handy drainpipe for Pixie's problem?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 17:14   #44
God Member

Only just found this old thread and had to add my twopennarth
My mum bought Imperial Leather - it was so strongly scented that it brought me out in lumps - I still bear the scars

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 09:55   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Only just found this old thread and had to add my twopennarth
My mum bought Imperial Leather - it was so strongly scented that it brought me out in lumps - I still bear the scars
Never use anything else Margaret, well for everyday use that is.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..